·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holden wagon and ute for US market

news.com.au network Source: Herald Sun
By James Stanford
January 07, 2004

A HOLDEN wagon could be cruising the streets of the US in the near future.

It would join the Monaro coupe that is already sold in America as the Pontiac GTO and perhaps become part of an Australian export family that includes a Commodore ute.

Holden is investigating export possibilities for the next Commodore, the VZ, due next year, and has identified an opening for a "crossover" wagon similar to the Adventra it put into Australian showrooms last year.

"We are still talking to North America about the possible opportunities for the next Commodore platform," said Ian McCleave, Holden's executive director of business strategy and planning.

"There is a good opportunity to sell a big rear-wheel-drive product to many global markets, including America."

Mr McCleave is in the US at the right time, during the glitzy Detroit Motor Show, and also knows that General Motors' head of product development, Bob Lutz, wants to leverage the Holden Commodore base in the US.

Holden has another advantage as GM now has no large rear-wheel-drive cars in its product portfolio.

Mr McCleave told the Herald Sun he would be meeting top GM executives about export openings, which US reports say could also include a Monaro convertible after the change to the VZ body. The Commodore ute is also on the cards.

The Adelaide-built Monaro has just gone on sale in the US as the GTO and GM expects to sell 18,000 each year.

The biggest opportunities come with the VZ, which is designed for the US market, including a fuel tank that sits in front of the rear axle to meet American safety regulations.

Mr McCleave confirmed that GM is interested in either the VZ Commodore or a car built off the same mechanical base.

Mr Lutz has made clear that he wants to transform Pontiac into an American equivalent of BMW with exciting driving dynamics, something that is harder to achieve with a front-wheel-drive vehicle.

Mr McCleave said a wagon built off a Commodore base, which would compete in the booming "crossover" class in America, is one of the best options Holden has of moving further into the US market.

He would not comment on whether the vehicle would be all-wheel-drive, like the recently released Adventra wagon, or just rear-wheel-drive.

GM is also interested in a sedan built off the Commodore base, but Mr McCleave was tight-lipped about how closely any potential US car would be to the Australian Commodore.

The strong labour unions in the US could move to block any increase in Holden imports over the current 18,000 cap for the GTO project.

It may consider more imported Holden models as a threat to jobs in the US automotive industry.

Full Article Here

Vehicle Name:
Holden Adventra

Product Points:

Only AWD crossover designed and developed in Australia for unique local conditions
Permanent all-wheel drive
Passenger car ride, handling and comfort
5.7 litre Gen III V8 performance
High ground clearance and ride height

Photo #2

http://www2.autoweb.com.au/id_HOL/doc_gmh0...ewsarticle.html

·
Registered
212 Posts
The VZ from next year will indroduce a new DOHC V6 and auto transmission. Apart from that any changes will be minor. Rumour has it that the gen IV LS2 V8 will be introduced with the VZ series II in 2005. The all new car will come in 2006 as the VE.
I thought I'd clear up any confusion over the story, they are talking like the VZ is all new, I think they might mean VE.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by FunkyPig@Jan 7 2004, 11:16 PM
The VZ from next year will indroduce a new DOHC V6 and auto transmission. Apart from that any changes will be minor. Rumour has it that the gen IV LS2 V8 will be introduced with the VZ series II in 2005. The all new car will come in 2006 as the VE.
I thought I'd clear up any confusion over the story, they are talking like the VZ is all new, I think they might mean VE.
You certainly know better than me, I only wish I lived down under so I could buy a Commodore, UTE, or Monaro.... :D At least we'll get the Monaro in the US, even if only 18,000....:(

Is that DOHC V6 the 3.6L now going in to the Cadillac CTS?

Welcome to GMI, FunkyPig!

For those unfamiliar....The Holden UTE:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah it is the same HFV6 as the CTS. Holden will make it in Melbourne, Australia (One of only two factories in the world to make this engine). The size will range from 2.8 to 3.8, the Commodore will only have the 3.8L version I think, I have read rumours that the base versions might only get a SOHC version though. I hear the engine as fitted to the CTS is very good, so we are all excited down here.

·
Registered
922 Posts
For a guy my age to love a wagon/x-over/suv that much is weird, but I love the Adventra. It looks really sweet. I wish we could get something like that, I think it would make a great saab wagon, put the turbo 5 in it and we would be set. As for the Ute, I guess i just dont get it. :huh:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hate how the unions block any of the cars we want to have. GM should make a Holden North America Devision and they could sell the cars (all of the Holden line up)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Jan 8 2004, 04:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Jan 8 2004, 04:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-FunkyPig@Jan 7 2004, 11:16 PM
You certainly know better than me, I only wish I lived down under so I could buy a Commodore, UTE, or Monaro.... :D At least we'll get the Monaro in the US, even if only 18,000....:(

Is that DOHC V6 the 3.6L now going in to the Cadillac CTS?

Welcome to GMI, FunkyPig!

For those unfamiliar....The Holden UTE:

[/b][/quote]
Ming,

This would be one incredible El Camino........

Ken

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Jan 7 2004, 11:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Jan 7 2004, 11:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FunkyPig@Jan 7 2004, 11:16 PM
You certainly know better than me, I only wish I lived down under so I could buy a Commodore, UTE, or Monaro.... [/b][/quote]
you do know that the Monaro (GTO) has less power, lower build quality, and costs $10,000 USD more in australia then in the US

They had to readjust price because 40k price tag would not have worked here

·
Registered
191 Posts
Forget this crappy "I wish I were an SUV" highboy look. I want the SS Wagon!!! (with an avalible 6-speed manual please). :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
i don't know about this...i like the cars well enough, but everyone was all crazy and excited about getting the monaro over here as a camaro or GTO, and now it seems that most people do nothing but bitch about how it's not built here and how it looks the same. seems to me we'd have the exact same issue with this. but then again, it's not a GTO...so that would probably help.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think that is very valid. Present it for what it is and not something that people already have certain expectations about. Had they called the Manaro something else it may have had a more positive response from the very same people that dislike it as the GTO. Some, undoubtedly, would disagree but we will never know.

I was excited when I first saw this vehicle. That was before the possibility was at hand. Now I am really excited about it. Of course, it won't be cheap but it seems like a great vehicle to me.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yes YES DO IT GM.Make them Chevys with the Ute an Elcomino and the wagon and Comador a Chevelle.Use the 3800 V6 and 4800V8 with a 5300 325HP SS option. :D :D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by Camaroz28lover@Jan 8 2004, 01:13 PM
I hate how the unions block any of the cars we want to have. GM should make a Holden North America Devision and they could sell the cars (all of the Holden line up)
I could not agree more.

There is no question Holden is what Pontiac should be.

Either start a Holden North America division or import all of the needed machinery to build Holdens in the US and sell them as Pontiacs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by LegendNH@Jan 8 2004, 03:05 PM

you do know that the Monaro (GTO) has less power, lower build quality, and costs $10,000 USD more in australia then in the US

They had to readjust price because 40k price tag would not have worked here
[/quote]

What BS.

The monaro is exactly the same build quality. It cost more becasue it comes with a lot more features like which have been documented heaps of times such as :

dual zone climate control
Higher level PCM
reversing sensors
Dead pedal !!
Auto dimming rear view mirrors
Sat nav option
On Star (Holden Assist) tracking option
Larger trunk (boot for the non Americans)
etc etc

As for the power the stock monaro comes with 326 hp but has the HSV versions with 380 hp and 400 hp. The base monaro is detuned to a sell the HSV models and to prevent the power war do gooders. It can be easly retuned to get in the 380 hp for less than $600 us. (LS1 edit)

If anything the GTO is expensive due to having to move the fuel tank and tool it up as a left hand drive

1 - 20 of 41 Posts