GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of fiddling and numbers, we got the chance to beat up on both the NX 300h (hybrid) and the NX 200t F Sport (turbo) at our test track. My big takeaway? They're both heavy. And weirdly, the 200t weighs a little more than the 300h, even with all of the latter's batteries and extra motors. Things get even weirder. Lexus claims that although the NX and the Toyota RAV4 share a few basic things (wheelbase, suspension mounting points, speaker holes), the NX is 90 percent different. You know what? I totally believe Lexus. Reason being that the last RAV4 we tested weighed in at 3423 pounds. The NX 200t F Sport? 4175 pounds. That's more than 750 pounds! What? How? Where? Why? Now, of course, the RAV4 we tested was FWD and had a 2.5-liter I-4. The 200t has a 2.0-liter turbo I-4 and AWD, but, I'm sorry, there's no way an extra driveshaft, two half shafts, plus a turbo and some plumbing clocks in at 750 pounds. Leather? Sound-deadening material? Lead? All are possibilities. For those wondering, the 300h weighs 4123 pounds.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1409_2015_lexus_nx_200t_f_sport_300h_first_test/

It sounds like the polarizing looks didn't result in a polarizing driving experience.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
... And they'll sell every one of them with very little problem...

I'm surprised it took Lexus this long to expand their crossover lineup. Yet another player out there while Cadillac still just fields a 6 model-year old SRX. At least Lexus' RX was by far the top selling luxury crossover on the market, so it wasn't as important for them to field another player. Come on Caddy/GM, your crossovers should be fast-tracked models. It's where the money is. The new SRX (and a possible sibling) cannot get here soon enough...

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
That's what happens when you take a cheap vehicle a that was never intended to be a luxury product and try to turn it into one.
So much has to be done to turn into a worthy product. The cost savings are there but you loose the benefits of a lighter vehicle. It's amazing that some of these small/compact crossovers weigh 3800 lbs - 4000 lbs.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Reminds me of how a Lincoln Mark IV weighs close to 1k pounds more than my LeSabre Lexus convertible...it's like they filled the body panels and bumpers with lead

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I drove a RAV4, I cannot beleive people buy that POS, the tail pipe hanging close the the ground and it feels damn cheap in all ways.. like they took an old corolla platform and stuck big wheels on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts