1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did anyone check out the reader comments below the 5-door XE article? GM haters are everywhere.

spencerb... is that mpg figure all highway?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I'm averaging 34mpg in my Astra. I'll gladly take the 1.8 over the 2.4.
Didn't I read/hear somewhere that the new 2.2L Ecotec gets 35 mpg on the highway? I rented a Cobalt, and the 2.2 seemed to have plenty of pep. The Astra needs at least one upgrade engine.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Didn't I read/hear somewhere that the new 2.2L Ecotec gets 35 mpg on the highway? I rented a Cobalt, and the 2.2 seemed to have plenty of pep. The Astra needs at least one upgrade engine.
I've rented several Cobalts and have gotten around 29 on the highway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
spencerb... is that mpg figure all highway?
It's almost all highway (85%), about 60mph. I've been very easy on the gas to see what mpg I can get out of it. It's a 3-door manual, BTW.

I noticed that driving on flat roads even at low speeds you can get exceptional mpg as long as you are in the right gear. I can get in the upper 30s at 30mph in 4th gear. What really kills the mpg is acceleration and hills. I also immediately drop it into neutral and coast if I see a red light ahead.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Sales of the Astra were about 750 last month. When did it officially go on sale?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
What do you Astra owners think of the powertrain? Is it sluggish?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I finally got to sit in one (an XR 2 dr with the awesome seats), and while I'm still going to give it a good test drive, but my spirits just completely sunk. The driver's seat, like other cars in this class, needs about 3 inches more travel to be comfortable for my long legs.

Ghrank

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It's almost all highway (85%), about 60mph. I've been very easy on the gas to see what mpg I can get out of it. It's a 3-door manual, BTW.

I noticed that driving on flat roads even at low speeds you can get exceptional mpg as long as you are in the right gear. I can get in the upper 30s at 30mph in 4th gear. What really kills the mpg is acceleration and hills. I also immediately drop it into neutral and coast if I see a red light ahead.

I can completely agree with this statement. From what I have seen in my Astra it gets similar results as this. But going 75-80 on the highway can kill the mileage though, I am closer to more 30 or so when I am going that fast, but if I am closer to 65, 32 mpg or more would be easy to obtain.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I also immediately drop it into neutral and coast if I see a red light ahead.
You should leave it in gear if you want to save fuel. EFI engines shut off the fuel supply altogether as long as your foot is completely off the throttle and the revs are over like 1500rpm. If you coast in neutral it uses some fuel to keep the engine idling, coasting in gear uses no fuel at all.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I own a 2000 4 door SL2 which has been a solid reliable little car with almost 80,000 miles on it. My main complaints are the low seating position, the turning cycle, the average handling and some interior quality problems (some loose fitting dash panels with gaps) and the two armrests that collapsed. All in all its a good little car, still has great looks, kind of timeless and is extremely dependable.

However, after I sat in the Astra, I realized this car has addressed all the weaknesses of the SL2 and the Ion. The solid feel of the doors, the soft touches on the high quality dashboard etc. In the article they mention noise entering the interior, the average performance etc. GM give it some sound insulation, get us a redline version (maybe a 160 hp and a 200+ DI version) and a two door and 4 door trunk version and call it a day. Right now this car is very competitive but with the changes I mentioned above, it can be class leading !!!!!! COME ON GM !!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
To SAngelo and the others who want GM to make changes to the Astra immediately must wait until 2010 for the Delta II platform to arrive. Emissions certifying any other engines for this Astra in the U.S. will cost money GM refuses to spend and then there's the question of whether the 2.2 and 2.4 engines would fit under the hood, as those two mills aren't used in European Astras.

This Ion owner is in the minority on this point, but I'll make it again - GM/Saturn should have waited until Delta II was ready, when it could assemble the Astra in this country as well as offer sedans, hatchbacks, coupes, a small wagon and a convertible, any of which that could be ordered with a variety of engines - gas, diesel or hybrid (BAS, two-mode maybe even a plug-in).

Limiting us to two body styles, one motor, two transmissions and only bringing over 40,000 models at maximum is a half-baked stop gap since the Ion, despite its flaws and the thorough criticism it generated from the buff books and consumers, routinely sold more copies than that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should leave it in gear if you want to save fuel. EFI engines shut off the fuel supply altogether as long as your foot is completely off the throttle and the revs are over like 1500rpm. If you coast in neutral it uses some fuel to keep the engine idling, coasting in gear uses no fuel at all.
I learned this right after I made the post. When coasting in gear, mpg goes up to 999.9 on the readout. I'll start to coast in gear until just before the engine starts to lug, then I'll pop it in neutral.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I learned this right after I made the post. When coasting in gear, mpg goes up to 999.9 on the readout. I'll start to coast in gear until just before the engine starts to lug, then I'll pop it in neutral.
Why I don't buy used cars. Aren't we splitting hairs here? You can't get blood out of a stone! Your that guy on the highway whose so consumed with getting the best mpg everyone behind you is pouding there fists into the steering wheel. Hardy har har. : /

1 - 20 of 21 Posts