GM Inside News Forum banner

A chop contest entry

935 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  GEO4 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Originally posted by 3eb@Feb 17 2004, 10:52 PM
an excellent chop, but otherwise i really don't care for the car too much :unsure: especially not as a cadillac.
Yeah, nice chop but you know the comparisons to the Catera, Allante and Cimmaron would be brewing if Caddy rebadged a car like that.

Caddy has raised the bar with the XLR and CTS -- a rebadge job like that is better suited to Saturn or Buick.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 18 2004, 04:18 AM
Yeah, nice chop but you know the comparisons to the Catera, Allante and Cimmaron would be brewing if Caddy rebadged a car like that.
is the allanté considered a bad car? i mean sure, it didn't sell well, but how was it received overall? i was still playing with dinky cars when it was new, so i don't remember. i'm curious to know what critics and the public thought (again, aside from the poor sales figures). was it an aztek... low sales but high satisfaction?

#11 ·
Originally posted by paul8488+Feb 18 2004, 05:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Feb 18 2004, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Feb 18 2004, 04:18 AM
is the allanté considered a bad car? i mean sure, it didn't sell well, but how was it received overall? i was still playing with dinky cars when it was new, so i don't remember. i'm curious to know what critics and the public thought (again, aside from the poor sales figures). was it an aztek... low sales but high satisfaction? [/b][/quote]
Actually, I'm not that sure, I saw one on the road and it looked nice enough. But the Auto magazines kept trying to compare the CTS and XLR to these 3 former Caddies for some reason -- and the comparison always went something like: "The XLR is far superior to the Allante Convertible", or bringing up the Catera and Cimmaron in an article about the CTS as if to say "we can't believe it is this good, we expected another Cimmaron"...

I'm guessing the Allante was no star performer worthy of wooing the critics like the XLR or CTS.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 18 2004, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing the Allante was no star performer worthy of wooing the critics like the XLR or CTS.
i'm talking out of my a$$ here (as per the usual ;)), but i personally think the allanté hinted at the eventual general styling of the seville STS (allanté was out late 80's, methinks, and seville STS was early 90's... correct me if i'm wrong!). it had an early version of the northstar (if what i read in another [what car turned cadillac around] thread/poll is true) too. so if nothing else it perhaps broke a little ground for the cadillac we know today. it was probably too pricey and underpowered and questionably built to succeed. still catches my eye though.

sounds like the same situation as the buick reatta (again, i'm speculating), actually.

#13 ·
it looks good to me even as a cadillac. A cool concept to show at an auto show but no production possiblity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.