GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 GMC with a 6.0 Liter. I seems to be leaking antifreeze some were behind the alternator/power steering pump bracket. Can't see anything leaking from the water pump. I have heard that the gaskets on these water pumps are know for leaking. Anyone had similar problems? Also how tuff is it to remove the clutch fan from the water pump?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm sure it's the water pump. The early GEN. III's did it pretty commonly. The fan is easy to remove with the proper tools. Either a fan clutch wrench or big crescent wrench can be used easily. Leave the belt on and put the wrench on, and give it a good whack with a hammer in the proper direction which should be noted on the fan shroud.

There are other ways to get it off there without the proper tools too.......

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Waterpump housing is probably cracked. I thought that it was an issue on the T400s that were corrected in the T800s. but I guess not.
I had the exact same thing go wrong on my 1995 Silverado (it had about 110,000 miles on it at the time). I was a slow leak and put water in the tank to ensure that it didn't overheat until I brought it in to be repaired.

$250 to repair roughly if you go through a shop. GM dealer may charge slightly more but they are less likey to screw it up.

It's a very common part, and you should be able to get it easily.

It's not that difficult to do it yourself if the design is similar to my T400 truck. I'm sure that GMCSonoma or Shadams can contribute to the correct procedure. You can buy the part for cheap from the GM parts website or through a dealer. Johnny P seems to have given you good advice on the procedure that sounds really familiar.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Waterpump housing is probably cracked. I thought that it was an issue on the T400s that were corrected in the T800s. but I guess not.
I had the exact same thing go wrong on my 1995 Silverado (it had about 110,000 miles on it at the time). I was a slow leak and put water in the tank to ensure that it didn't overheat until I brought it in to be repaired.

$250 to repair roughly if you go through a shop. GM dealer may charge slightly more but they are less likey to screw it up.

It's a very common part, and you should be able to get it easily.

It's not that difficult to do it yourself if the design is similar to my T400 truck. I'm sure that GMCSonoma or Shadams can contribute to the correct procedure. You can buy the part for cheap from the GM parts website or through a dealer. Johnny P seems to have given you good advice on the procedure that sounds really familiar.
This is a different water pump than any truck previous to '99 used. The GEN. III/IV engines share no parts with the old SBC's.

:)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
This is a different water pump than any truck previous to '99 used. The GEN. III/IV engines share no parts with the old SBC's.

:)
I see that my T900 doesn't...but I assumed that they would have these waterpumps bulletbroof by 1999 model trucks. His 6.0L would have something different than the 5.3L I have now anyways.

I didn't even know there were serious widespread problems on the T800s on anything but brakes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I see that my T900 doesn't...but I assumed that they would have these waterpumps bulletbroof by 1999 model trucks. His 6.0L would have something different than the 5.3L I have now anyways.

I didn't even know there were serious widespread problems on the T800s on anything but brakes.
The Gen. III came out in '97 in the Vette, '98 in F-cars and '99 in trucks. The 6.0L and 5.3L are the same engine design except for bore diameter. Given they are both the same generation. The LS2 is the first Gen. IV to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I see that my T900 doesn't...but I assumed that they would have these waterpumps bulletbroof by 1999 model trucks.
Remember we are talking about a 9 year old truck here. At some point all vehicles will need a waterpump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.