GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transmission of my '96 Olds Cutlass Supreme acted weirdly today. First, there was some rpm-related whining from under the hood, and the torque/hp seemed lower than usual. Later on, I was driving uphill on a highway at 50 mph and everything was fine. As I went over the top and started driving down, my car lost drive and acted as if transmission was in neutral. Shifting D to N and back did not help. Pressing the accelerator did not help (rpm up to 5000), so I coasted into a small driveway and suddenly felt that the car drives ok again (25 mph). I drove over that hill once again, and this behavior is repeatable, so it was not a random glitch. I drove the rest of my route in the 3rd gear without any problems. Does anybody know what causes this behavior? I have already spent lots of money fixing this car in the fall and I am not sure if rebuilding the transmission is worth it... :(

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like the transmission is slipping? When was the last time the fluid was changed?

-T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transmission fluid was changed last summer by Valvoline Oil and Lube. I have driven about 20k miles since then (its 77k now). The transmission fluid is still red and clear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.