GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,014 Posts
This is worth underscoring: This is not a recall. Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to the durability of our products and to our owners. These are older trucks and rust is a fact of life, especially where road salt is used, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that.
As if we've never heard THAT before...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Hmmm...or you could've bought a '98 Sonoma and had absolutely no rust problems whatsoever.
The hell are you talking about, I see rusty '95+ S-10's and Sonomas all the time. With killer frame rot, well that is not easily seen...

And it does seem Toyota is doing something rather good and caring about the owners. They could have much more easily said "f you".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The hell are you talking about, I see rusty '95+ S-10's and Sonomas all the time. With killer frame rot, well that is not easily seen...
I had an '85 S-10, with essentially the same frame as the '95+ and the frame was flawless. The rest of the truck rotted away, but the frame was great. Same with my '93 Sonoma. The other problem with the Sonoma was it was a write-off and a Frenchman put it back together, very incorrectly! :mad:

The only real fix for a '95-'00 Tacoma is to find the nearest cliff and push it off. I assure you that it won't end like the more recent Tacoma commercials when they do the same. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,014 Posts

And it does seem Toyota is doing something rather good and caring about the owners. They could have much more easily said "f you".
My '98 Sonoma is perfectly fine, absolutely no rust or frame problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
21,014 Posts
The only real fix for a '95-'00 Tacoma is to find the nearest cliff and push it off. I assure you that it won't end like the more recent Tacoma commercials when they do the same. :rolleyes:
Agreed, however, I think it'd be a little bit more amusing to pack some explosives in it first, then push it off the cliff.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I wonder what the exact history of that Sonoma is...
It was a write off. Rodger Barette of Belle River Collision in Belle River put it back together. Never, ever buy anything from Belle River Collision.

EDIT: Wow, I was so drunk on Saturday when I posted that, I don't remember typing it. I wonder what else I posted on here.

Anyway, I was looking at the truck and saw the Belle River Auto Sales sticker on the back and wa s wee bit weary. The guy selling it never said anything about it having a salvaged ("rebuilt" in Ontario) title. He didn't tell me until we were at the MTO exchanging the ownership, but stupidly went along with it, becuase I really wanted the truck for some reason. Some $5000 later (in addition to the $3000 purchase price) the truck was in good working order again. It involved a whole new rebuilt engine out of a '90 Chevy Fullsize. Trying to fix the engine that was in there proved impossible, because it was an abomination. It never should have run. The EGR crapped out and the intake did not match the motor, which did not match the truck and the heads were off of god knows what. It was a Frakenstien monter. verytime I fixed one thing, something else broke. At one point we realized it was an old school water pump on there from a multi-belt, not serpentine system. It was having coolant flow problems after I tried and failed to replace the intake, because it wa s "custom" job. When the proper flow pump was put on there, it was soon revelaed that some sort of block sealant was used because it ended up in the over flow bottle along with some oil and gas. That was the end of that motor. Then after the second motor I was determined to drive it and try to recoup my losses. Then the Power Steering pump failed jst as I got back to Canada from my daily journey to Detroit. I never drove that ruck again. I traded it to a friend for his Kawasaki Ninja 900R because he needed a truck and I knew I wouldn't get anything for it with a rebuilt title. I got $3000 for the bike. While my friend had it he had some knock snesor issues that came about because the engine was older than thte computer, buy he resolved them. The truck quickly began rusting fast and the body filler used on the cab roof and all over began making itself apparant. The rear window leaked like a siv. He used it for a while, then pawned it off on some other poor sucker.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
The body rusts, but the frame stays intact. I know because my brother had a 97 Sonoma. It had body problems, but the frame was solid.

You have to remember these are body-on-frame vehicles. Body rust doesn’t mean what it does on a unibody car.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Reminds me of the '80s Toyota pickups where the box would totally rust out but the cab and everything else would look fine. You usually see them now with home made stack racks

·
Registered
39 Posts
"If frame corrosion damage is confirmed by an inspection at a Toyota dealership, at Toyota's option, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it. No matter the vehicle’s actual condition, it will be valued as a vehicle in excellent condition."

No doubt the frames should not be rusting out but wow! My hat is off to Toyota for stepping up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had an '85 S-10, with essentially the same frame as the '95+ and the frame was flawless. The rest of the truck rotted away, but the frame was great. Same with my '93 Sonoma. The other problem with the Sonoma was it was a write-off and a Frenchman put it back together, very incorrectly! :mad:

I'd say a better idea is to bring it into the dealership and let them fix it, else they'll repurchase it. Toyota has swept problems under the rug in the past, but this is the proper way to deal with an issue. If every automaker handled every issue like this, we'd be in much better shape (along with our vehicles). If this turns out to be a real promise, I might have to go out and buy a rotten one for cheap.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I'd say a better idea is to bring it into the dealership and let them fix it, else they'll repurchase it. Toyota has swept problems under the rug in the past, but this is the proper way to deal with an issue. If every automaker handled every issue like this, we'd be in much better shape (along with our vehicles). If this turns out to be a real promise, I might have to go out and buy a rotten one for cheap.
Last time I heard something like this was from FIAT. FIAT in the 70's along with all the other carmakers used crappy steel and FIATs could be heard rusting on the showroom... they were really bad. 2 years and wheels tearing out from the chassis.

There was a class action lawsuit against FIAT USA and they had to buy back all of those FIAT's, 850's, 124's 128's etc. About a year later FIAT USA closed doors :D but Malcolm Bricklin imported some 124 Spiders and X1/9's for a few years more into the middle Eighties (those two were the only good Fiats anyway)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It is commendable, I'm just not a fan of Toyota, and especially their trucks. If they are buying back everything as if it were in excellent shape, I might have to go out and buy up all the older Tacomas I can find and sell 'em back...only problem is, around here trying to find any would be near impossible. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts