GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 1994 Buick Park Avenue 3.8L First Series. The car had been sitting in the drive way for a year and hadn't been turned on. About a month ago I bought it out of retirement. It needed a new tire and a new battery and that was it. Started right up. I got the oil changed, put some STP in the gas tank and filled the tank up. I got the oil changed 2 weeks ago. I was running an errand today and it started making this terrible knocking noise. The dashboard said there was so NO oil at all in the engine. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was full. I drove it back home since I was about 5 mins away. Now the car won't even start. My neighbors insist its an oil problem. The engine sounds as if it's not getting oil. My neighbor thinks that the fuse that controls the oil is blown. I don't know where to find this fuse or what number it could be. Does anyone know the number and the location so I can check for myself? If it's premature to think that its a fuse that is causing this, what else could it be? Thanks for the help...

BTW: This car has 60,000 miles. Plugs and wires are good.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
You could try posting on bonnevilleclub.com, and they'll quickly give you some suggestions, BUT...

You say you were reading no oil...do you know if it was for the oil level or the oil pressure? It's not uncommon for the pressure sensors to fail, which would give you the dash indication, and when starting, the fuel pump/injectors send the initial "primer shot" to start the engine but an positive oil pressure reading is needed (engine takes off) for the engine computer to turn the fuel pump on.

Being that your vehicle has sitting, its quite likely that your harmonic balancer is bad. It's made of rubber and deteriorates after a while. It will make a knocking sound when it goes bad. Take a look at it (it's the crankshaft pulley). While you don't need to see cracks/tears in the rubber for it to be bad, it will be an obvious indication.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the oil pressure. Hm I don't know anything about the harmonic balancer. It's just weird that this would happen all of sudden. It has been running excellent. I'll post on the Bonnie forum thought to see what they think. Thanks

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
They randomly go bad, but it doesn't help that your PA was outside, idle, for a year.

Oh yeah, and tell the dudes on BC that F14CRAZY sent ya

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
...probably. He destroyed a perfectly good PA. I would have given him a can of R12 had he asked

1 - 6 of 6 Posts