GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's Sonoma when you need him...

I still have to make another thread in the Garage and post pix, but I recently bought a 1994 Century wagon with 150k miles. It's in really good shape. The struts seem to be good in it and when empty, it sits slightly raked like it should.

However, we intend on using it for plumbing and carrying a few hundred pounds in the rear. With this weight the rear sags a couple inches...it isn't bad but still noticeable.

Advance auto parts offers Monroe adjusting shocks "for hauling and towing" for the Century (an A-body vehicle). I think those will do well but what should I do about about my coil springs? Do they sag/wear out from age and mileage?

The chart above is from a-body.net. I've posted there but haven't got a real answer. Anyway, my springs would be the CC665's. The U-body springs (Silhouette, APV, Trans Sport) will fit since the A's and U's were closely related to each other. With what I'm trying to do, would I be better off using the "heavier" CC667 U-body spring? Heck should I even bother replacing mine? I know struts go bad but do coil springs? They're not rusty at all

Thanks guys (and Sonoma):D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
LOL, it's good to know someone here @ GMI is looking for me in a positive way!!!

Anyways....when doing this...invest in new upper shock mounts...they are cheap and can soften up...

If ride quality is not a concern, I'd look for coil over shocks with a pair of variable rate coil springs...however that thing would bounce like crazy unladen...I don't think using a U van spring will make a difference, personally...it might but it might be small..

I used these airbags from JC Whitney on a FWD 85 deVille I once had when I eliminated the level ride system with regular struts then I expereinced a sag issue...

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh you've got my respect for the technical help you give out to GMI members and thought you'd be able to suggest something in my situation.

If it helps, this is the link to the Monroe's from Advance

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=MON&MfrPartNumber=58427&PartType=50&PTSet=A

Are these self adjusting or do you do them yourself? I know certain Foresters have a rear strut that automatically changes height based on how the suspension bounces...are these like that?

Anyway, those Air Lift bags you linked seem pretty cool and like they would work great. If I went with these should I still replace my struts with some decent new ones? Coils?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Those air bags are manual fill...

on my former SDV, I filled them wiith like 15PSI and it raised thee rear ever so slight over the front...like a 3/4" difference, and it really added to that car with that stance...over the sagging rear end...for like $250? you can add an onboard compressor...not worth it...as I assume being a plumber you might have compressed air handy enough in your shop possibly?

I don't know how much you intend to carry, like 300-400#???
I'm not a fan per se of air shocks...I'd say..if it were me...add cargo coils/variable rate springs...and see how it is...you can easily add those airbags without removing the springs...
Then invest in the largest piston diameter gas shock you can find...when replacing the springs.

For the front, if the struts are weak, they'll have extra work unladen...you might be able to get even variable rate springs for the front as well after market??? Off the top of my head, I'm not sure about the fronts...

Thanks for your remarks all the same...it's always good to hear it!:D

Heh you've got my respect for the technical help you give out to GMI members and thought you'd be able to suggest something in my situation.

If it helps, this is the link to the Monroe's from Advance

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=MON&MfrPartNumber=58427&PartType=50&PTSet=A

Are these self adjusting or do you do them yourself? I know certain Foresters have a rear strut that automatically changes height based on how the suspension bounces...are these like that?

Anyway, those Air Lift bags you linked seem pretty cool and like they would work great. If I went with these should I still replace my struts with some decent new ones? Coils?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh I try to put in at least some useful remark:D

Anyway, I'll get a new set of variable rate coils (the U-body ones, which I guess would be "heavy duty" compared to the stock A-body wagon coils)...what's the "variable rate" part mean anyway? And some Sensa Trac struts, unless you think the fancy "coil overs" I linked would be better. I don't know suspension systems that well as you can tell. 3-400 lbs would be about right; nothing that would overload it

We do have an air compressor at home/base so changing the pressure in the air bags wouldn't be bad if I went that way. Actually the wagon has a compartment underneath the floor in the back that I could keep an air tank in to manually add air, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.