GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about 10 months ago, I remember: people were scared.
"Why would GM build a rebadged Subaru and give it to Saab"
"Saabaru"
"Japasweedish"

But, after magazines like Motor Trend, and Automobile praised the brand new 9-2x
I wasn't worried. I was actually happy. This is probably the first time, GM has done a good job with badge-engineering. They took the Subaru, and added Saab cues to it. They made it distinctive. Even though the dashboard set-up, and engine choices might be the same, you can hardly tell this thing is a Subie, until you look in the rear.

They are rolling into dealerships this month, and I just wanted to ask: how good will they sell? will they appeal the younger crowd? How young will buyers be? Is the 9-2X priced reasonable? Will the older crowd be attracted too?
Who knows? I don't.
And I'd just like to know what you think.....

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
4 have been sold at my local saab dealership already... and it's been on the lot since Memorial Day weekend. That's not too shabby.
They do look pretty nice.
They are price at 25K for the base and $31K for teh Aero.

They are very aggressive looking. Not too shabby at all.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I like it, and think it fits Saab quite well.
I'd pay the $2000 premium for the upgrades and non rice-boy front-end.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to know how good of these sales. Another thing: it has been getting mixed reviews. DetNews said "it didn't make the cut" while Automobile Mag/Motor Trend said it was a pretty good car, for being rebadged. I wanna know how much might this affect sales. Usually, I don't listen to the critics, unless it is something terrible, that I agree with: such as: The Interior sucks...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The 9-2 has one big problem. It's called the redesigned Volvo S-40, that will be available as a sedan, wagon, coupe and convertable. The Volvo is getting rave reviews.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The S40 looks exactly like a focus and I think Volvo is taking the wrong direction in design. Most people I talk to miss the boxier wagons and sedans. That's why my mom drives a 99.

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
Originally posted by amark329@Jul 24 2004, 02:14 PM
The S40 looks exactly like a focus and I think Volvo is taking the wrong direction in design. Most people I talk to miss the boxier wagons and sedans. That's why my mom drives a 99.
<_< that's a first. everyone seems to be complaining about saab's "change of direction." never really heard things about volvo's changes.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by amark329@Jul 24 2004, 02:14 PM
Do you need glasses!?! :huh:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I think the 9-2X is nice. I saw one last weekend and it looks like a Saab.

Saab really needs some product and this makes sence for them now. Perhaps the next generation 9-2X can have a little more originality to it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Originally posted by dindak@Aug 25 2004, 01:34 PM
I think the 9-2X is nice. I saw one last weekend and it looks like a Saab.

Saab really needs some product and this makes sence for them now. Perhaps the next generation 9-2X can have a little more originality to it.
Amen on both accounts, I couldn't have said it better myself!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts