GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Greening of the Yellow Fleet

There are 13,150 taxi medallions on New York City streets, and 1,020 (or about 7.8 percent) are on hybrids. The first hybrids entered the fleet in October 2005. ...

By 2012, all of New York’s approximately 13,000 taxis will have to get at least 30 miles a gallon on the city’s streets. Because hybrids are about the only vehicles able to meet that target, most of the gas-only cabs in the city’s fleet are expected to disappear during the next five years.

There are 1,020 hybrid taxis roaming New York’s streets, about 7.8 percent of the fleet. Of those hybrids, 83 percent are Ford Escapes
So practically speaking, all taxis will have to be hybrid by 2012, and at currently 83% of the hybrids are Escapes.

What is Toyota's response?

Toyota said that the Prius taxis were holding up well, but that the company did not help to convert cars into taxis because they were not intended to be driven so heavily.

“Our engineers are nervous about it because they were not designed for commercial use,” said Wade Hoyt, a Toyota spokesman....

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Sounds good, I'd much rather see Ford's than Toyota's.

I'm not sure I understand the whole partition issue they are having. Are the partitions not a problem on the CV's becuase they are bigger or is this just a requirement for hybrids? They make it sound like a hybrid issue but problems with paying would apply to any type of car I would think.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Sounds good, I'd much rather see Ford's than Toyota's.

I'm not sure I understand the whole partition issue they are having. Are the partitions not a problem on the CV's becuase they are bigger or is this just a requirement for hybrids? They make it sound like a hybrid issue but problems with paying would apply to any type of car I would think.
The Crown Vic is just much bigger in the back. More room for the partition and the occupants legs. Yes, the Escape is a SUV, but the Vic is a lot bigger on the inside than the Escape.

The partition is a requirement for all taxi cabs. They help to keep the taxi driver safe.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I think that the blue oval will keep a good share of the taxi market in NY between the escape and the transit

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Ford should try and sell them here in Toronto. I have seen a few Prius taxis but no Escapes. I refuse to ride in Toyota cabs though, I always tell the driver if I am catching a cab that I prefer Fords and Chevy's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ford should try and sell them here in Toronto. I have seen a few Prius taxis but no Escapes. I refuse to ride in Toyota cabs though, I always tell the driver if I am catching a cab that I prefer Fords and Chevy's.

Agree 100%, last trip to DC, I refused to accept the Camry (non hybrid) cab at National Airport. Would up with a worn out Crown Vic and was much happier than the cabbie with the Camry. If more customers voice their preference, it will make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Agree 100%, last trip to DC, I refused to accept the Camry (non hybrid) cab at National Airport. Would up with a worn out Crown Vic and was much happier than the cabbie with the Camry. If more customers voice their preference, it will make a difference.

You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's really a good plan for NYC and Ford.
Wish GM had a model like that....
I don't, because I feel fleet sales are the best way for a car to lose value. You see what happened to the last few gens of the Taurus and Grand Prix. Most insiders referred to them as "fleet queens" and both GM and Ford had to sell them at deep discounts just to move them. I would rather see the Escape hybrid plowing the streets of NYC than any of GM's most current and stellar products.:yup:

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't, because I feel fleet sales are the best way for a car to lose value. You see what happened to the last few gens of the Taurus and Grand Prix. Most insiders referred to them as "fleet queens" and both GM and Ford had to sell them at deep discounts just to move them. I would rather see the Escape or a Fusion with an ecoboost engine plowing the streets of NYC than any of GM's most current and stellar products.:yup:
I still wish GM had a compact SUV that got 32 mpg combined and costs under $27,000.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
This would be really good for New Yorks stop-go traffic!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Too late, Vegas is full of new Malibu's being used as taxis...

I don't, because I feel fleet sales are the best way for a car to lose value. You see what happened to the last few gens of the Taurus and Grand Prix. Most insiders referred to them as "fleet queens" and both GM and Ford had to sell them at deep discounts just to move them. I would rather see the Escape hybrid plowing the streets of NYC than any of GM's most current and stellar products.:yup:

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I still wish GM had a compact SUV that got 32 mpg combined and costs under $27,000.
Maybe Chevy can come out with a taxi specific model with a two mode hybrid, a rugged chassis, 30mpg average, and shapped like a box.
If they can keep it simple, then I don't see how it could cost more than $30,000.

I'd suggest using a modifed (very lowered) T355 chassis or the T360 chassis...then build a Box around it. ABS, Power steering, windows, and locks, the 2.8L I-4 form the Colorado combined with the two mode system in the Tahoe. if they can make it where the entire fender, bumper, and doors can be replaced (from fender benders) easily and give it enough interior room.....

I am thinking something like the little trucks the postal services use, except with a 3 seat rear bench, a partition, and sliding doors with windows (and the steering wheel on the correct side). I think GM and Chrysler already makes some of those postal trucks. How difficult would it really be to build something similar to this, but specifically designed to withstand 20 years taxi service:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV
GM already makes many of the parts, and now has the hybrid powertrain.

Design it to be as fuel efficient, durable, and cost effective as possible.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe Chevy can come out with a taxi specific model with a two mode hybrid, a rugged chassis, 30mpg average, and shapped like a box.
If they can keep it simple, then I don't see how it could cost more than $30,000.

I'd suggest using a modifed (very lowered) T355 chassis or the T360 chassis...then build a Box around it. ABS, Power steering, windows, and locks, the 2.8L I-4 form the Colorado combined with the two mode system in the Tahoe. if they can make it where the entire fender, bumper, and doors can be replaced (from fender benders) easily and give it enough interior room.....I am thinking something like the little trucks the postal services use, except with a 3 seat rear bench, a partition, and sliding doors with windows.

Design it to be as fuel efficient, durable, and cost effective as possible.
I don't want it as a taxi, I want it for consumers. An Equinox with the Cobalt XFE engine and BAS+ transmission. Done.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Doesn't Ford still license their hybrid technology from Toyota? I know the first Escape hybrids used a variation of the Toyota HSD.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
Doesn't Ford still license their hybrid technology from Toyota? I know the first Escape hybrids used a variation of the Toyota HSD.
Ford has never used HSD.

There is reciprocal licensing between Ford and Toyota. A handful of Ford's hybrid parts are similar to Toyota's so they made an agreement to avoid wasting money on legal issues, but Ford uses no Toyota technology in their hybrids. In return, Toyota is licensing Ford emissions technology.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2005/11/is_ford_innovat_1.html

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
that would be a bit of bad press if those prii start breaking.

i think it would be a good idea for gm to pursue a fleet only or taxi only type of vehicle.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
GM should just rebrand it fleet vehicles. They could use the old GEO name and take old discontinued models like the last gen Malibu or just make bland cosmetic exterior changes and rename them to "Classic", etc. so that a model doesn't look like a Gran Prix. Using one name for Fleet vehicles would help protect the resale value of Chevy, Pontiac and others.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
With the new CAW agreement, maybe Ford will drop a v6 option into the Crown Vic for taxis. It's not like you have to go fast in one, especially NYC and other urban areas. That would put it over 30mpg.

Beyond that, the Transit Connect will be taking this country by storm next year (too bad it isn't sooner) for taxis, light construction, delivery, carpenters, plumbers, catering, you name it. They will steal sales from minivans, cargo vans, suvs and pickups. I think the demand will be so high that after a few years Ford will have to move NA production from Turkey to Louisville, Wayne or Mexico.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts