GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
I do love that black with stripe delete.

Are we starting to see a serious restoration movement on these yet like we're finding with the Fox body Mustangs? Would be nice to start seeing these things get restored.

Thanks! It was hard getting the DX3, decal delete, because the sales people and dealers knew nothing about that option.

There have been a couple of high quality rotisserie restorations that I'm aware of, but that's not yet the norm. There are too many mint, low miles samples out there still. Why spend $30K-$40K to restore one, when you can still get a mint 10K-20K mile original for $15,000-$20,000?

Reactions: syr74

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
My truck (still have it, 40k miles on it):
I just gave my dad an 86 Chevy C10 short-bed that I bought back when I was in college for $400 with 80,000 miles and change on it as the third owner.......and this is the second time I've given it to him. (long story) I've always primarily been a Ford guy, but that little Silverado has been a great truck. Interesting tidbit, I took off the Silverado trim to do some body repair years ago and noticed that the tailgate is a GMC piece! I spoke with the second owner who I knew well and he stated that the tailgate had never been replaced. My guess is that, since the Silverado trim covered the tailgate lettering, the guys at the factory just didn't think it mattered. I thought that was kinda' cool.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Kurt's truck is very cool. I used love pickup trucks like that, especially with a short bed. The new ones are just so big, expensive and not quite so lovable.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Dat yellow!... My God! when I was in 9th grade a guy that lived in the same apartment complex had a Yellow IROC and every morning as I waited @ the bus stop he would pull out of the apartment lot and fly down the road past me waiting for the bus..... I loved that sight,loved that car even more. I eneded up getting a 87 T/A and later of a 91 Formula,but due to raising a family I had to let them go.

I remember there was a guy in my neighborhood with a new yellow '86. I think it might have been the slowest combo, LG4/700R4/2.73 rear. But he always kept it perfectly detailed and with that rumbly exhaust, it always made my day when he drove past my house. So I've always had kind of a thing for them.

Fast forward a couple decades. There was lady near my home who bought a yellow IROC-Z new, and I'd see her driving it around now and then, as it was her daily driver. Sometimes I'd see it every couple of months, sometimes I wouldn't see it at all for a long time. But it would always catch my attention. Now this went on for like 20 years. One day I saw it parked in the Target parking lot and decided to park next to her so I could see if she wanted to sell it. She said that she wanted to trade it in on a new Jeep. I gave her my number and told her to call me when she was ready. Well she never called, but at that point I had worked my way into a yellow IROC-Z frenzy and started to seriously look for one.

I found this one at a Buick dealer in Minnesota. Someone had just traded in on a new Buick, literally the day before The salesperson said I had called on it minutes after the Autotrader ad was posted. I was able to speak to the previous owner, (and all three previous owners eventually), and bought it without seeing it in the flesh. It had about 40K miles when I got, and needed a lot of TLC, which I provided. Yup, they always look better in pics that in the flesh! :)

I had hoped to find one with a stick, either an '85 with an L69 or an '87 with an LB9, but those are tough to find. This one is an '85 with TPI. What makes the '85s unique is that even with the automatic 700R4 trans, it still retains the higher lift L69 cam. The following year, all auto TPIs got what is referred to as the "peanut cam", essentially the same one as the lower powered LG4.

Oh, about 18 months after I bought the yellow one, the lady in my area finally decided to sell her yellow IROC. :)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Nice pics and stories.....................

Can't wait for spring and wake my Z from its winter nap!
(And my Pontiac too!)

Meanwhile my trusty Buick rat and new Impala will do the job!

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Nice pics and stories.....................

Can't wait for spring and wake my Z from its winter nap!
(And my Pontiac too!)

Meanwhile my trusty Buick rat and new Impala will do the job!

Me too. Winter can't go away fast enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
My 84 Z-28 still lookin' good and runnin' fine at almost 180k miles!
I am seeing less and less of them here in snow and salt land NY!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts