GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Haha, yeah I really need to get new pictures of both. I'm not a huge picture taker, it's been a year or two. As long as I get to see them, cruise, and go to shows, I'm happy. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pics of my 1985 Camaro Berlinetta. 305 Auto, T-Tops. Sold it unfortunatly. I really miss driving a third gen!

My fathers 1987 Camaro. 2.8L Manual. - He sold his aswell

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's not often to see the "nekkid" ones :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree...its a shame more Sport Coupes weren't saved. There's someting to be said about the cleaner, more simple body style. Its funny to think about how many we used to see!

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
The VERY first 3rd gen I ever saw was an '82 Sport Coupe, silver with a maroon cloth interior, at Z Frank Chevrolet in Chicago. It was the very first one the dealer had gotten and they had it parked in front on the sidewalk. Wow!

The Sport Coupes were used hard and passed from owner to owner until they were all used up.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I need to keep looking at this thread to make sure I make sure my 87 project resumes as soon as this snow melts!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I need to keep looking at this thread to make sure I make sure my 87 project resumes as soon as this snow melts!
Funny how that works. I've been a bit Camaro-distant since going back to school, and this thread (and forum) reminded me why I fell in love with Camaros in the first place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't ever, ever give up on a third gen. From the time I was a little kid, all throughout elementary, middle, high school, and college, I daydreamed about third gens. I have had a third gen either with me, or in my immediate family, for 19 of the 30 years I've been on this planet (my mother didn't get her '89 until I was 9).

My first memory of a third gen is sorta two-fold. Both of these events happened in 1985...no one remembers which was first. One was of a Coast Guard cadet driving his black/gold IROC through the Academy parking lot when we were visiting on vacation in RI. He saw me staring at his car, stopped, saluted me, smiled at my parents, and drove away. My mother still remembers the look on my 5 year old face...I was in awe. Around the same time, I remember seeing a yellow IROC at the local Chevy dealer when my dad dropped his '79 Chevette off for service one day. Same result! The first Trans Am I remember also happens to have been an '85. While my father was haggling the price over the '85 Olds Calais they planned to buy, my mother kept me amused by sitting me in the driver's seat of a white Trans Am on the showroom floor. What's even more funny is that when you fast-forward 15 years, I became a fresh-faced salesperson on that same showroom floor...starting a job that led me to where I am now.

Third gens aren't just cars, to me. They are a part of me, and always will be. The style, the feel, the look, the performance, the uniqueness (it seems like no two are ever alike!)...everything about them makes them the best, to me.

Now that I own 3, I am positive I will always have third gens with me for the rest of my life. I've been depressed every time my friend and I have tried to save one ('86 SC, '87 base Firebird, '83 Z28 L69) only to lose it to the ravages of rust. The '86 and '87 were many years ago, when we didn't know what the hell we were doing. The most recent, the '83 L69 Z, was heartbreaking because it was a rare car. Briar brown, brown custom interior, hardtop, all power with everything the L69 package came with...fiberglass hood, aluminum rear drums, 5 speed, 3.73s etc. My buddy bought it in 2000 for $450...it was very, very rough. He put 20k miles on it before parking it in 2002. When I bought my new house in 2008, he stored it with me, and we gutted it in prepping it for new floors, fenders, etc. We found that when we were welding, the metal around the floorpans we were trying to weld to was so weak, the welder was burning right through :( The shell was effectively junk. After I found holes at the base of both strut towers, and holes in the firewall (don't ask me how he missed all this stuff before, but he did), we junked it this past Spring after taking more parts off it. Its 3.73 posi rear will live on in my RS later this year.

When you consider how many of these you used to see running around, its so sad to see so few today. At least in my garage, third gens will always live on!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
At least in my garage, third gens will always live on!
Brings a tear to my eye ;)

The only memories I have of cars as a small kid are wondering how people got their windows to roll into the roof. I was born in '83, FWIW.

At my HS graduation party, one of our family friends (who was my babysitter until I was about 6) saw my IROC in the garage and recalled that I used to say I was going to get a red Camaro convertible. While my IROC was a black t-top, a red '89 IROC vert is my "dream" third gen.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Don't ever, ever give up on a third gen. From the time I was a little kid, all throughout elementary, middle, high school, and college, I daydreamed about third gens. I have had a third gen either with me, or in my immediate family, for 19 of the 30 years I've been on this planet (my mother didn't get her '89 until I was 9).

My first memory of a third gen is sorta two-fold. Both of these events happened in 1985...no one remembers which was first. One was of a Coast Guard cadet driving his black/gold IROC through the Academy parking lot when we were visiting on vacation in RI. He saw me staring at his car, stopped, saluted me, smiled at my parents, and drove away. My mother still remembers the look on my 5 year old face...I was in awe. Around the same time, I remember seeing a yellow IROC at the local Chevy dealer when my dad dropped his '79 Chevette off for service one day. Same result! The first Trans Am I remember also happens to have been an '85. While my father was haggling the price over the '85 Olds Calais they planned to buy, my mother kept me amused by sitting me in the driver's seat of a white Trans Am on the showroom floor. What's even more funny is that when you fast-forward 15 years, I became a fresh-faced salesperson on that same showroom floor...starting a job that led me to where I am now.

Third gens aren't just cars, to me. They are a part of me, and always will be. The style, the feel, the look, the performance, the uniqueness (it seems like no two are ever alike!)...everything about them makes them the best, to me.

Now that I own 3, I am positive I will always have third gens with me for the rest of my life. I've been depressed every time my friend and I have tried to save one ('86 SC, '87 base Firebird, '83 Z28 L69) only to lose it to the ravages of rust. The '86 and '87 were many years ago, when we didn't know what the hell we were doing. The most recent, the '83 L69 Z, was heartbreaking because it was a rare car. Briar brown, brown custom interior, hardtop, all power with everything the L69 package came with...fiberglass hood, aluminum rear drums, 5 speed, 3.73s etc. My buddy bought it in 2000 for $450...it was very, very rough. He put 20k miles on it before parking it in 2002. When I bought my new house in 2008, he stored it with me, and we gutted it in prepping it for new floors, fenders, etc. We found that when we were welding, the metal around the floorpans we were trying to weld to was so weak, the welder was burning right through :( The shell was effectively junk. After I found holes at the base of both strut towers, and holes in the firewall (don't ask me how he missed all this stuff before, but he did), we junked it this past Spring after taking more parts off it. Its 3.73 posi rear will live on in my RS later this year.

When you consider how many of these you used to see running around, its so sad to see so few today. At least in my garage, third gens will always live on!
It takes certain people Jason, people like us, to save a 3rd gen - even a base car. As I mentioned to you on TGO, in 20 years, people will think that the only 3rd gens made were IROCs and GTAs. I'd like to find an early Sport Coupe, with steel "4 hole" wheels and dog dish hubcaps. As long as it's a stick, I don't care if it has an Iron Duke (actually preferrable ;) ), 2.8L V6, or LG4 V8. I'd like to find one and save it.

I just thought of an irony. In an indirect way, the 5th gen will end up serving to save afew 3rd gens. Think about this for a second. I, for example, no longer have any desire to purchase a 5th gen, now that I recognize that it's actually a MonteCamarlo, so I've reverted back to 3rd gens. I may even end up saving a couple more between now and 6th gen time. I suspect, that you may find yourself in the same position, Jason. There sure are more than afew folks like that on TGO. The 5th gen's unrequited love, may save a whole bunch of 3rd gens, now that I think about it. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Never came into this section before, just been looking into the 6th gen stuff mostly. Demonspeed, it never clicked until now. I remember you from the IZ boards. I don't visit there much anymore, probably because i haven't done much with the iroc lately

I bought my 89 IROC, in 2001, the day before the worst Daytona 500. Came home with a straight black, no decals, l98, t-top car. Drove it and enjoyed it basically stock for about four or five years until the block cracked one winter. Built a set of subframes and a cage for it. And tossed together a 10.5:1 smallblock 400 with afr heads, stealth ram, and a cam they said would never work with efi. And got a wild bug and threw a 5speed behind it for the hell of it. Never had it on a dyno, but I would say an easy 500 horse, still using the MAF setup:->>
Always planned to do an LS series in it but...
Sadly, been contemplating putting a stock engine back in it and selling it. It hasnt been driven over 100 miles in the last four years. I had been thinking of getting a new with the Direct Injection (something ive been wanting for a while), as the 5th gen just isnt for me. So if I do not care for the sixth gen, or if its priced too high, then a couple year old Z06 will find its way to my garage instead. Thats if the C7 is decent enough, which i think it will be similar enough to the wide body C6, which i like a lot. If I had the room, i would just keep it, But I am tired of not having any room to work on things in the garage (the offroad rigs tend to need attention much more often). And it will be seven or eight years until i will be financially ready for another house.

Glad to see some nice third gen owners here
Lucas

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Demonspeed, it never clicked until now. I remember you from the IZ boards. I don't visit there much anymore, probably because i haven't done much with the iroc lately
IZ = IROC-ZONE? If so... wow. I can not remember the last time I had been there. I've changed quite a bit since then :lol:

The first forum I had ever used was CamaroZ28.com back in 98 or 99 IIRC. This was still before the LS1 became an internal combustion God, and even though newest third gen was just 6 years old, it was already disrespected.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, the iroczone. I have looked a few times here and there. Not the same crew as when I was regularly looking. Used to be some good people that would participate on that forum.

I agree, thirdgen people quickly became a minority.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah, the iroczone. I have looked a few times here and there. Not the same crew as when I was regularly looking. Used to be some good people that would participate on that forum.

I agree, thirdgen people quickly became a minority.
Take a look at what LS1tech has become -- it's a never-ending cycle. :(

But hey! We've now got GMI's Camaro forum :) And we're all certainly happy to talk intelligently about IROC's :D

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Re: My Third Gens: 89 IROC-Z & 91 Z28

No Camaro has stirred my soul the same way since the 3rd gens.

These two are mine...

I'm the original owner of the black one. G92, LB9, T-5, BW 3.45, N10 dual cats. Under 11K miles.

I'm the third owner of the white one. It's a Crossfire with 99K mile.

Absolutely beautiful!

·
Registered
7,238 Posts

Love your passion Jason.

I owned two 3rd gens, and they were my favorite cars ever. I sold them both in good shape, but with really high miles. Unlike a lot of horror stories I've read, mine were always 100% reliable and required almost no maintenance or repairs.

I like my 2010 Camaro very much, but not as much as I loved these cars. I had a 4th gen convertible that also, to me, didn't live up to the 3rd gens (except for performance - my '98 was a rocket). If the right 3rd gen car ever comes to my attention again, I can see myself buying it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It takes certain people Jason, people like us, to save a 3rd gen - even a base car. As I mentioned to you on TGO, in 20 years, people will think that the only 3rd gens made were IROCs and GTAs. I'd like to find an early Sport Coupe, with steel "4 hole" wheels and dog dish hubcaps. As long as it's a stick, I don't care if it has an Iron Duke (actually preferrable ;) ), 2.8L V6, or LG4 V8. I'd like to find one and save it.

I just thought of an irony. In an indirect way, the 5th gen will end up serving to save afew 3rd gens. Think about this for a second. I, for example, no longer have any desire to purchase a 5th gen, now that I recognize that it's actually a MonteCamarlo, so I've reverted back to 3rd gens. I may even end up saving a couple more between now and 6th gen time. I suspect, that you may find yourself in the same position, Jason. There sure are more than afew folks like that on TGO. The 5th gen's unrequited love, may save a whole bunch of 3rd gens, now that I think about it. :D
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 5th gen makes some people love 3rd gens that much more. A 5th gen is a great vehicle...it just isn't me. I don't buy something merely for the sake of having the latest and greatest. I am perfectly happy tooling around town in my 20 year old RS with no power seat, no heated seats, no XM radio, no side airbags, no ESP/ABS/TSC/ABC/XYZ...and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

My Trans Am will likely be the last third gen I "save." I have discovered that after my RS resto-mod fest, and the light resto the TA will require, I'm better off buying a mint original in the first place. I am 100% confident I will buy another third gen within the next 5-7 years. However, I cannot imagine getting rid of any of the three I have, either.

I have a problem...

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
I was fiddling around in the garage the other night and clicked a couple of pics of my 10K mile, LB9/T5, G92, DX3, '89 IROC-Z. It's been raining here lately, so haven't really taken the cars out. You can see a reflection of my '83 Crossfire parked next to it though. :D

Let's see some more 3rd gen pics!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
<-- Jealous.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts