GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Re: '65 Inspired 2011 Impala

This is the 65 Impala I was thinking of, which isn't that rounded. I did the squared off wheel openings and the long rear fender bulge that is fairly straight.....

;)
Sorry, but I find those baby nubs of fins to be awful looking. They just remind you that it is not a ballsy car of the late 50s. As dull as Jackie O's fashion sense.

Give me real fins, dammit.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Re: '65 Inspired 2011 Impala & SS Coupe

I don't like it. Good work, but bad idea. It reminds me of some Australian cars (not a bad thing) and the old Renault Alliance (wheel wells, lines). The headlights look too small, the grille is too conservative, and the flat sides with the unusual lines make for an unattractive package. The '65 is an awesome design, but it is tricky to successfully apply design cues from that car to a modern design.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

Sorry, but I find those baby nubs of fins to be awful looking. They just remind you that it is not a ballsy car of the late 50s. As dull as Jackie O's fashion sense.

Give me real fins, dammit.
Interesting perspective! I had never thought of those "hips" as the nubbins of fins...but I see what you mean. I hope I live to see fins make a come back in a big way, but perhaps this time as extensions of the tail lamp lense vs. the rear quarter panel.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Thanks guys.

I didn't want to burst your bubble, but frankly I hate the whole idea. The front doesn't follow Chevy's new front-end idea; the rear end is just fugly. It has some cues from the past, but none that increase it's appeal. Sorry!
Nothing to be sorry about. When I post a pic I want feedback. I have developed thick skin. You guys have been great here. Never be afraid to give honest feedback.

I'm sure that if I were the one who created the Camaro Concept and posted it here even then there would be some people who didn't like it. And that's how it's meant to be. But I'd still want to know why. Some people don't like retro, but if they liked retro but not the Camaro Concept then maybe it could be improved. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing, and there would need to be only one automaker.

The most frustrating thing for designers is when people say they love it or loathe it and leave it at that. If you don't like something then I want to know what part or even the whole thing, and if you do like I want to also know what part stands out. It helps me, and other designers who see these, with future ideas.

;)

·
Registered
6,064 Posts

Monaro,

I can't say I completely like it either ... but, it is an interesting design nonetheless.

Do you, by chance, have any rear views of your concept?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The curves around midnight aren't easy to see" ... Rosanne Cash ... 'Runaway Train'

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

The 65 Impala is just a tough act to follow. Haven't seen a full size yet that compares to it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts