GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just an idea I had....

Edit: And here's an SS Coupe

Edit: Applied some of your ideas: Enlarged the lights; lowered the roof and gave it more fastback; rounded the rear fender bulge and the lower rear side window. Changed the wheels as the Comaro wheels look a litle too aftermarket on this.

;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: '65 Inspired 2011 Impala

I have memories of my Corsica by looking at this, it's a 90's flashback somehow.

I like the ideas, but it's the overall feel of the car that doesn't make me want it. Maybe in a dark grey and I'd change my mind about it.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

A bit linear but interesting...perhaps make it much more curvaceous as the 65 was and somehow graft on the new "Chevy Look" nose as seen in the new Malibu?
This is the 65 Impala I was thinking of, which isn't that rounded. I did the squared off wheel openings and the long rear fender bulge that is fairly straight.....

;)

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Re: '65 Inspired 2011 Impala & SS Coupe

I like that the rear wheel arches are smaller than those in the front

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

It is a pretty interesting design, I can see where you are coming from, and why certain elements have been incorporated, however as a whole it doesn't do a whole lot for me. The car has a lot of strong horizontal elements, however, I don't think that the roofline is complimenting the design, being as it is seems a little tall, and is adding what I am seeing as a pretty strong vertical element. The other thing that I see that doesn't strike my fancy, however it is probably more of a personal thing rather than a design issue, is the scalloping on the headlights, I understand that you were pulling from the original separated headlamps on the '65, and needed to incorporate it into a modern housing, however, the scalloping just doesn't do it for me; It makes me think of the mistake that BMW made with the 2003 325i

For some reason, it still strikes me as odd, while compared to the 2003 330i,

The 330i seemed to have a more natural flow compared to the scalloping of the 325i.

Sorry, I hope this didn't seem to critical, I just wanted to post the pictures to help explain. :)

-Chase

·
Registered
124 Posts

I don't think its a bad idea

I hope you don't mind, I tweaked your original a little to give you a few ideas.
I think I did a little too much on the rear. I think its too dodgish

here is the front only:

alternative rear:

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

Thanks for the pic of the 65....damn that was a gorgeous car! What if you raise the coke bottle waist ridge up ABOVE the waistline as it was in the 65? I think that would add the curvaceousness I mentioned. Love your work...what software do you use? Extensive training needed to use it with your level of expertise? I am not much beyond e-mailing and surfing the net.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I think the rear quarter needs to come up higher on the rear side window like in this car:

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

I think the rear quarter needs to come up higher on the rear side window like in this car:

I think what he was attempting to do though, was create a modern rendition of it without being too retro like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, and T-bird. All of those are so in your face retro, I think here he wanted was something that wasn't just a flash in the pan. It seems like adding a cue such as the hips winds up making it one of those Uber retro models.

-Chase

·
Registered
124 Posts

I think what he was attempting to do though, was create a modern rendition of it without being too retro like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, and T-bird. All of those are so in your face retro, I think here he wanted was something that wasn't just a flash in the pan. It seems like adding a cue such as the hips winds up making it one of those Uber retro models.

-Chase
In that case I think I would leave the bulge out and keep the body line going and raise the quarter a tad.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts

Why?

I get nothing to work with from ...I don't think I like it.

;)
I didn't want to burst your bubble, but frankly I hate the whole idea. The front doesn't follow Chevy's new front end idea, the rear end is just fugly. It has some cues from the past, but none that increase it's appeal. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts

Looks too Australian. Eesh. I appreciate the effort that went into it, though.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

reminds me of the 1988 Voyage
The Voyage is one of my all time favorite concept cars...at the time all the car mags said BUILD IT (1988)...it came THAT CLOSE to being a 91 production model...then Roger-dumbass-Smith killed just before retiring with an awesome golden parachute. The sister car Solitaire was stunning too...I just LOVE covered wheel wells both for looks and improved air flow.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I rather like it. Great work dude.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

You have some skills, but the concept is wick wick wack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts