GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44,906 Posts
Originally posted by keyjack5024@May 28 2004, 11:03 AM
I dunno guys!!! This Super V may just be an engine test for another car using the CTS body work as camouflage. The engine must be the "new" 7.0 V8 that is to debut in the Corvette. My guess is that 600 hp would be too much GM and the CTS. But I'm holding out for an 06' 600 hp, 427 cu in. Corvette Stingray.
Well.... that is an interesting point, ya know?
That engine... whatever it may be... may appear in an u pdated C6 or "C7."

Then again... 600HP could be a detuned version of an engine to be plopped into the Cien.

:blink:

600HP is definitely supercar territory.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that this is nothing more than GM flexing its muscle in order to get attention and intimidate the competition.

If its true, I think that it will not be in the CTS-V, but its a mule for the STS-V

That would make more sense. However, is this the pushrod modified to have 600HP, or something else? Like a Northstar....

Nonetheless, this is really really cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by jgast18+May 28 2004, 06:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jgast18 @ May 28 2004, 06:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-johnd89@May 28 2004, 05:06 AM

some cars, like the m3 only have a manual gearbox... If it would had an automatic they would have probably sold another one or two, that's all...

I'm not discussing their choice of offering only the manual, I'm just saying that you sound like a person who simply dosen't need the cts-v, but a regular cts!

To prove me wrong, just tell me why exactly do you need 400hp in a cts, let alone 600. Also, why the 255hp are insuficient for you?
The M3 offers the SMG (sequential manual transmission). It is basically a 6 speed with no clutch. It will also be offered on the new M5. M3's havent been manual only since 1995.

Why do you care what my automotive needs/wants are? I have nothing to prove to an absolute stranger on a message board.

Plain and simple: the faster they offer an automatic or semi-automatic transmission in the V Series the faster these cars will catch on in the Luxo-Performance segment.

Then again that is just my OPINION. [/b][/quote]
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I have to tell you something: Cadillac doesn't have to offer an automatic in this car to sell them. All of the are sold and will be sold to folks who took the time to learn how to drive a stick. I could just imagine what would happen to automatic drivers if automotive companies stopped making an automatic transmission?

In my OPINION, if you really wanted a CTS-V, you would take the time to learn how to drive a manual or go and get an automatic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think that in some of the cars, the cars that ran in can-am tracks had special automatic transmissions. Chapperell comes to mind. I think that it was an experimental truck trans. Don't know why it never was put into production. It would handle the power.

Ken

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would like to confirm this, I had heard of this from a high up at GM engineering almost two months ago. They do exsist and are more than mules. Its also said that the ecotech is getting turboed the 3.6 TT in the velite is closer to production than we all thought, and that the 05 ZO6 will have 500 horsepower. In regards to the unspoken corvette rule. I mentioned this to my friend and he said that times are changing at GM. YOU WILL SEE CADILLAC surpassing the Vette.

Vette = Fastest :plasma:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The way I understand the CTS Super V is powered by a NA powerplant of LS2/LS7 origin. Let us all rember how much was left undone on the LS1. GUYS breaking into the high 10's low 11's on a cam alone in a TRANS AM!

THANK GOD FOR GM !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Originally posted by onebadbonne@Jun 11 2004, 03:45 AM
I would like to confirm this, I had heard of this from a high up at GM engineering almost two months ago. They do exsist and are more than mules. Its also said that the ecotech is getting turboed the 3.6 TT in the velite is closer to production than we all thought, and that the 05 ZO6 will have 500 horsepower. In regards to the unspoken corvette rule. I mentioned this to my friend and he said that times are changing at GM. YOU WILL SEE CADILLAC surpassing the Vette.

Vette = Fastest :plasma:
I hope you are right...but I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
B) Cadillac has the technology to surpass Chevrolet right now,since it is General Motors "best brand".It has the technology to build a serious supercar(evidence in the Cien).But would'nt that be like an "inside-battle"against family members if Cadillac did out-surpass Chevrolet? The CTS-V is powered by a Chevrolet engine;not a turbo charged northstar.Cadillac should build a special "5.0L"DOHC northstar with 5-valve cylinder heads worth at least 450bhp and spec out a special turbo-charged version of that engine for the Super-V.Can somebody tell me the truth of whether Cadillac is going to in fact build a V12 Escalade? I was hearing rumors of a blown 6.0Litre V8,a n/a V12,and also rumors of a 16-cylinder(doubt that will surface).is cadillac getting "cold-feet" on the V12 slade,or are they gonna build the V12 only for the elite Large sedan that will face-off with the Maybachs,and Rolls?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wish GM would let the divisions have fights with each other. The way it used to be.. remember when buick and pontiac made their own engines? (i cant say I remember it cause I'm 20 right now, but I've been reading about it) the buick 455 thats what I'm talkin about, may have only been rated at like 310HP but it had 510 ft lbs tq at like 2500 RPM :)

Or how about when the cars werent the same thing just rebaged? what other car looked like a 67 Wildcat? (serioulsy is there somthing else that is easiyer to find? the wild cat is my favorite oldcar...)

I want inter GM wars going on. Kick every one elses *** but surpassing your siblings (venus and serna williams remember when they were all the rage?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wonder if the CTS super V may have AWD? The STS is available in AWD and built on same platform in the same plant. Perhaps its being built to tackle the Audi RS6s in SCCA GT WC racing? With their AWD and a standing start they just pull away from the field and if it rains... forget it. Also it would be an answer to the new BMW V10 M5 due next year with 500hp. My guess it will get the V12 or the Z06 6.3L 3 valve motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Now see, that's a Caddy I would buy. I was in Supercuts for a hair cut I believe in the end of May reading a car magazine while I waited. They showed a Caddie named after that stupid haircut ******** like..Anyway, they thing had a massive amount of HP, so I believe AutoWeek is right, but as far as how much when, etc etc...I don't know who has the right answers.

Personally, I'd buy the Buick Velite, the Caddy if it does go 600 HP+, the new Vette (only if they make it 450 - 600 HP), or a next gen Camaro/Firebird if they do one (just because I've always loved those two).

But, as of now, its' all wait and see. Personally I think Caddy is heading in the right direction, but I think they need to rethink their pricing. It's a bit off on some cars. I don't have any clear examples I can give right now considering it's 6:09 AM EST and I haven't slept in days (long story)...Or, I would gladly give examples.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well with all the V-12 ultra-luxo sedans (MB,Volkswagen, BMW, Audi, Bentley, etc.), I don't think it's unreasonable to have aluxury car more powerful than the Corvette.

Besides Cadillac needs a REAL production image car. A new Eldorado with the '67's razor-sharp retro styling would be cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, the M5 will have 500hp but less than 400 ftlbs of torque (395) which is what the CTS-V has now. The M5 is going to be a very high reving motor. A CTS SV will most likely have 450 to 500 ftlbs of torque so no the M5 will not pull away.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by 63RivRules@Jun 26 2004, 06:46 AM
Besides Cadillac needs a REAL production image car.  A new Eldorado with the '67's razor-sharp retro styling would be cool.
Weren't you looking at the Sixteen? It didn't have enough '67 Eldorado cues for you? It was a perfect blend of old and new. Who'd have thought that the shape of the '67 Eldo and Art & Science origami would blend so elegantly?

Seriously, the Sixteen was such a big hit they have no choice but to use its styling ideas in a production car.

So, '63Riv, you're pretty darned sure to get your wish. But I wouldn't bet on a coupe.

Now if they could figure out a way to channel the spirit of the '63 Riv into a new car . . . .

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.