GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by jgast18@May 27 2004, 06:24 PM
GM has built 5 speed autos for other companies for AT LEAST 10 model years (the 5 spped auto in the 1995 BMW M3 was a GM piece)....why they dont put these in their own cards is beyond me.
Maximum engine torque for the 5L50-E is 311 lb/ft. It would take a major rework to beef it up enough to handle the LS6.

There's a 6L80-E in the works for 2006, to be used with the 4.6 and 4.4 S/C Northstar, and the LS2, but I don't think they currently have anything with more than 4 gears to handle that much torque (unless they dropped in an Allison! :p )

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by jgast18@May 27 2004, 07:27 PM
M-B has 5 speed autos in their AMG line that can take over 500 lb/ft so it cant be a question of "can this be done" it is more like "do we want to do this".

Maybe they should just buy these transmissions from M-B if they dont want to develop their own. ;)

IMO if they are going to go after BMW and MB with the "regular" Caddy product line and the M and AMG product lines with the V-series they have to upgrade the transmission choices.
With 500 lb/ft of torque, you should be able to get along with a 2-speed Powerglide like dragsters have. :D

Like I said, they are working on it for model year after next. In the meantime, the CTS-V was never meant to be a volume piece, so the lack of an automatic isn't a big deal. Cadillac already uses 5-speed automatics in the CTS, SRX, and XLR (and soon the STS).

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by jgast18@May 28 2004, 12:54 AM
Hey if you are content with it taking 10 product years for GM's own 5 speed auto to make it into their own cars that is all that really matters.

IMO  the CTS-V is a great car but it is missing its target audience.  By making it a hot rod (6 speed manual only)it appeals to a younger crowd but how many of them have $50K to drop on a car?

BTW:  The NEW M5 will have at least 2 transmission options, manual and a SMG ( the 1st ever non-manual in a M5). 

Look GM and Caddy make fine products, I had an Escalade that I got through the PEP program,  and can make and engine that is just as good as anybody BUT they are WAY behing the curve on transmissions.  BMW and MB are introducing 6 and 7 speed autos and have had 5 speeds for 10 years. 

All I am suggesting is that instead of going after headline HP numbers maybe they should spend just a touch more time working on getting their luxo-performance cars technology that is 10 years old and is obviously the wave of the future.
These 5-speed automatics that GM started building 10 years ago for the European market weren't really sized for anything GM had here. The only rear-drive cars GM had put out too much torque for them. The broader the torque curve of an engine, the less you really need more ratios in your transmission. With smaller engines in Europe, they needed them first.

With every rear-drive Cadillac that's introduced (except the Escalade), the 5-speed automatic is included, and the 6-speed will be there for 2006.

BMW has had no automatic in the M5 for years. Have they been wrong the whole time? The M cars, like the V-series Cadillacs, are not meant to be family grocery getters. They are dedicated "hot rods" that happen to have 4-doors, and aren't meant to be for everyone.

The new M5 will have a sequential manual gearbox as you've said for 2005, and the CTS-V will have an automatic a year after that. I know, I know, "GM is behind again, etc." But keep in mind, a couple of years ago they had absolutely nothing like this car. Rome wasn't built in a day. Would it be possible for anyone (not just you) to be happy with the incredible progress that's been made recently?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by me3head@May 28 2004, 02:29 PM
The s2000 tranny is in the Solstice.

Thank god for the CTS-V only having a manual. Otherwise I'd never be able to find a non-auto available. At the current production numbers, GM should be able to handily sell all the 6-speed Vs and that is all that matters. Allowing only a manual will only HELP cadillac's image. The more soccer moms and grandpas that drive this car the more people will think nothing has changed at Cadillac.
Gee, I suppose you don't want to see a padded, simulated convertible roof on a CTS-V either then. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.