GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is great but just a regular CTS-V with a semi-automatic transmission or 5/6 speed auto would probably impact sales more.

My local dealer has 2 CTS-V's and they are sitting because the "typical" Caddy owner doesnt shift his/her Caddy for him/herself.

GM has built 5 speed autos for other companies for AT LEAST 10 model years (the 5 speed auto in the 1995 BMW M3 was a GM piece)....why they dont put these in their own cards is beyond me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@May 27 2004, 06:46 PM

Maximum engine torque for the 5L50-E is 311 lb/ft.  It would take a major rework to beef it up enough to handle the LS6.

There's a 6L80-E in the works for 2006, to be used with the 4.6 and 4.4 S/C Northstar, and the LS2, but I don't think they currently have anything with more than 4 gears to handle that much torque (unless they dropped in an Allison!  :p )
M-B has 5 speed autos in their AMG line that can take over 500 lb/ft so it cant be a question of "can this be done" it is more like "do we want to do this".

Maybe they should just buy these transmissions from M-B if they dont want to develop their own. ;)

IMO if they are going to go after BMW and MB with the "regular" Caddy product line and the M and AMG product lines with the V-series they have to upgrade the transmission choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dude, what is your malfunction?

Listen, that 5 speed that they sold to BMW is IN the CTS, just not the V. THEY ARE DEVELOPING a 6 speed auto that will handle the power. The Tremec T-56 in the CTS-V is one of the best manuals around. Does BMW sell an M5 with an auto? Uh no.

Stop nit picking reasons to dump on caddy when they are coming out with a 600 HP engine.

Also, I would like to point out that when the article came out saying it was the CTS V plus, I said the there must be something we dont know about it because of that hoodscoop, seeing how the LS2 isnt physically bigger than the LS6. I guess there was somethign we dont know.
"Dude what is your malfunction?" (what are we back in high school now?)

My father in law works for the GM Plant in Parma OH.

I am more than willing and able to drop $50K on the CTS-V but the manual is a deal breaker with the wife and not practical as a "family" car.

There are plenty of other cars in this segment that, while they might not have the 400 hp, in the real world they will do just as good a job and are more "family" friendly. The 300C HEMI and the M-B AMG C36 come to mind. Honestly what difference does it make if one car is just a couple of tenths slower to 60MPH? When is anybody EVER going to miss those couple of tenths in the real world? 600 HP....great..it gets every kid in study hall something to lust after.

Hey if you are content with it taking 10 product years for GM's own 5 speed auto to make it into their own cars that is all that really matters.

IMO the CTS-V is a great car but it is missing its target audience. By making it a hot rod (6 speed manual only)it appeals to a younger crowd but how many of them have $50K to drop on a car?

BTW: The NEW M5 will have at least 2 transmission options, manual and a SMG ( the 1st ever non-manual in a M5).

Look GM and Caddy make fine products, I had an Escalade that I got through the PEP program, and can make and engine that is just as good as anybody BUT they are WAY behing the curve on transmissions. BMW and MB are introducing 6 and 7 speed autos and have had 5 speeds for 10 years.

All I am suggesting is that instead of going after headline HP numbers maybe they should spend just a touch more time working on getting their luxo-performance cars technology that is 10 years old and is obviously the wave of the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by discgolf01+May 28 2004, 01:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (discgolf01 @ May 28 2004, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jgast18@May 27 2004, 07:54 PM
I am more than willing and able to drop $50K on the CTS-V but the manual is a deal breaker with the wife and not practical as a "family" car.
So leave the manuals to us guys that still want/can/order/drive a manual. Bottom line: If you and the fam are going out in the CTSv, are you really going to let your wife drive? Laughable at best.

Yeah its got 4 doors, but make no mistake this is a PERFORMANCE machine, not something to take to go get groceries with the Mrs.
Do you honestly think that the people that buy M3/M5 consider that they need to haul around their family? NO.

If you can afford a CTSv, then go buy the wife a minivan, you can get something else and let the rest of us who like the thought of a 400/500/600 hp car get a CTSv/CTS Super V. [/b][/quote]
The wife can drive anytime she wants.

The CTS-V is one of those rare best of both worlds cars. Something that has great performance but also can haul a family of 4 and luggage/shopping bags and be used as a year round daily driver. This car is one of the best ideas to come out of GM since the GMC Typhoon ( a SUV that was way ahead of its time). I just think that GM needs to widen its appeal.

Honestly I dont know why they didnt just use the 350HP 'Vett engine instead of the Z06 engine and offer the 2 different transmissions to begin with.

Like I said before the local dealer has had the same 2 CTS-V's sitting on the lot for a full 3 months now and I think part of the reason he hasnt sold the cars is becasue the traditional Cadillac customer isnt looking for a 6 speed manual and the horsepower junkies/younger crowd cant afford a $50K car and even if they had $50K to spend they probably would consider a 4-door last.

It is a great car with a limited market the way it is currently optioned. That is fine for making headlines in all the auto mags by playing horsepower wars but tough when it comes to selling cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@May 28 2004, 03:57 AM
:lol:
so are you thinking to let the wife drive a 400hp rwd in winter? this is wrong on several levels!
buy her a slow suv for those "oops I have no ideea what I was doing" moments wich could and will turn real ugly real fast with a 400 or 600 hp monster...
trust me, it's easier to learn how to drive a manual gearbox than to drive such a powerfull piece of machinery!!

this is not like a new 2k digital camera with features you don't need or know how to use, wich you buy to impress your friends: this can blow in your face faster than you can say "oops"!
I am not going to get into a debate with you, or anybody for that matter, about the driving ability of my wife or females in general.

I guess around here only a "real man" can drive a 400hp car and that car must have a manual tranny.

Snow tires, traction control, and common sense....as in she has enough common sense to take the SUV when it is snowing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@May 28 2004, 05:06 AM

some cars, like the m3 only have a manual gearbox... If it would had an automatic they would have probably sold another one or two, that's all...

I'm not discussing their choice of offering only the manual, I'm just saying that you sound like a person who simply dosen't need the cts-v, but a regular cts!

To prove me wrong, just tell me why exactly do you need 400hp in a cts, let alone 600. Also, why the 255hp are insuficient for you?
The M3 offers the SMG (sequential manual transmission). It is basically a 6 speed with no clutch. It will also be offered on the new M5. M3's havent been manual only since 1995.

Why do you care what my automotive needs/wants are? I have nothing to prove to an absolute stranger on a message board.

Plain and simple: the faster they offer an automatic or semi-automatic transmission in the V Series the faster these cars will catch on in the Luxo-Performance segment.

Then again that is just my OPINION.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ+May 28 2004, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MelvinJ @ May 28 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> vin<!--QuoteBegin-jgast18@May 28 2004, 12:54 AM
Hey if you are content with it taking 10 product years for GM's own 5 speed auto to make it into their own cars that is all that really matters.

IMO  the CTS-V is a great car but it is missing its target audience.  By making it a hot rod (6 speed manual only)it appeals to a younger crowd but how many of them have $50K to drop on a car?

BTW:  The NEW M5 will have at least 2 transmission options, manual and a SMG ( the 1st ever non-manual in a M5). 

Look GM and Caddy make fine products, I had an Escalade that I got through the PEP program,  and can make and engine that is just as good as anybody BUT they are WAY behing the curve on transmissions.  BMW and MB are introducing 6 and 7 speed autos and have had 5 speeds for 10 years. 

All I am suggesting is that instead of going after headline HP numbers maybe they should spend just a touch more time working on getting their luxo-performance cars technology that is 10 years old and is obviously the wave of the future.
These 5-speed automatics that GM started building 10 years ago for the European market weren't really sized for anything GM had here. The only rear-drive cars GM had put out too much torque for them. The broader the torque curve of an engine, the less you really need more ratios in your transmission. With smaller engines in Europe, they needed them first.

With every rear-drive Cadillac that's introduced (except the Escalade), the 5-speed automatic is included, and the 6-speed will be there for 2006.

BMW has had no automatic in the M5 for years. Have they been wrong the whole time? The M cars, like the V-series Cadillacs, are not meant to be family grocery getters. They are dedicated "hot rods" that happen to have 4-doors, and aren't meant to be for everyone.

The new M5 will have a sequential manual gearbox as you've said for 2005, and the CTS-V will have an automatic a year after that. I know, I know, "GM is behind again, etc." But keep in mind, a couple of years ago they had absolutely nothing like this car. Rome wasn't built in a day. Would it be possible for anyone (not just you) to be happy with the incredible progress that's been made recently? [/b][/quote]
MelvinJ

I AGREE 100%. GREAT progress has been made.

It is like trying to stop or turn the Titanic....it takes time. I just want it YESTERDAY.

That alone speeks voulmes about the progress that has been made....GM making cars people cant wait for. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.