GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://gas2.org/2008/08/23/the-biodiesel-trident-170-mph-60mpg/

new Trident Iceni, a two-seat sports car boasting a 6.61 litre V8 turbo diesel from GM that will launch you from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds. The company, Trident Performance Vehicles based in the UK, says computer calculations suggest a top speed of 230 mph, and a range of approximately 1000 miles.

While the engine is located behind the center line of the front axle, the 8-speed automatic gearbox is located in the rear of the car.

http://www.trident-vehicles.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=39

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
^^ Davis, regardless, this is pretty cool you gotta admit. GM diesel in there, afterall, too. ;) Now if only GM had the excess cash to blow on a project like this to show up Audi........ lol

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
^^ Davis, regardless, this is pretty cool you gotta admit. GM diesel in there, afterall, too. ;) Now if only GM had the excess cash to blow on a project like this to show up Audi........ lol
+1 :cool: if only the Corvette had the frame to accept the power and torque of the "big-block" 6.6L Duramax, I wonder if the upcoming "small-block" 4.5L Duramax might fit under the hood the 'Vette? I think it might shut the mouth of some folks who think then the Corvette isn't green it all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i like the idea of this engine or some form of it in a GM vehicle, but dont ever, ever put it in the corvette, im not really sure that i like a supercharged engine in the new ZR1....

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
0-60 in 3.7 seconds
Top speed of 230 mph
1000 miles on a tank of gas

GM should make such a car and let that be Cadillac's halo car, so it doesn't have to keep worrying about stepping on the Vette's toes. Or a SAAB or Saturn halo car so someone might notice one of those brands.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
That is one ugly car.. im sorry but even if it has those performance stats.. i would rather have a Corvette!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Wow... that much power and that much efficiency... I tell you... the future and the automotive world is changing and fast... but, let's just hope that GM stays in the game and ahead of the pack!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
While the engine is located behind the center line of the front axle, the 8-speed automatic gearbox is located in the rear of the car.
isn't that similar to a 'Vette setup? with a 6 speed of course.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a strong feeling this was gonna get posted again. I saw a similar forum topic a few years back linking to the same website.

The car may be ugly, but then not everything in the world is nice, is it? At least it gets good mileage and great performance for what it is.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
+1 :cool: if only the Corvette had the frame to accept the power and torque of the "big-block" 6.6L Duramax, I wonder if the upcoming "small-block" 4.5L Duramax might fit under the hood the 'Vette? I think it might shut the mouth of some folks who think then the Corvette isn't green it all.
the aluminum-framed z06 has a torsional stiffness of 9,000-10,000 lb-ft/deg. that's exceptionally stiff. it's certainly stiffer than any musclecar with a 500+ cu.in big block. the steel frame should be a little stiffer as well.

gale banks raises the redline on his diesels, loses some torque, and increases hp. he runs the 6.6 duramax at 650 hp and 800 lb-ft. http://bankspower.com/projects/2-banks-sidewinder-sierra/overview/2 and yes, the 4.5 will fit where the small block will...maybe with a little more hood clearance. imagine 430 hp and 550 lb-ft, and 35+ mpg.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well, we can at least dream.

You just know somebody somewhere is going to eventually do the 4.5 - maybe even both - somehow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts