GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on a site that the 6.1 Hemi is already designed and it has 425hp and 490 torque!!! I also saw pictures of a charger concept that will have this engine but I can't bring them to this site because i don't know how. Does anyone else know anything about this engine and car?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by silverado_13@Jun 2 2004, 07:20 PM
http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?...?t=1117111&page

This should be it
Jeez those guys are idiots on that site. Thank goodness there's GMI.

The Hemi is already a bit of a revver. I wonder how high they will have to go to get 425 hp out of it N/A. And how will they ever get 490 lb/ft. of torque?

It's very interesting that there was a picture of the motor (if it was genuine), but I really have to wonder about those figures unless they are using F/I.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What's the deal with the widely disparate torque/HP numbers? It would seem to me the torque must be seriously falling off toward the upper rev range. Anybody ever seen a dynograph for a Hemi?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
heard the 6.1 425 hp will be on the 300c and magnum, also awd option.
If chrysler would just make a 2 door magnum coupe with the 6.1 rwd...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Like Rex said the one in the concept is old, came out in 1999 and was never released. Spoke to a Dodge rep at the NYC Auto Show and they said one will be released on the 300C platform and it will look somewhat similar to the 99 concept. Whether it looks like the concept pic above or like the one below in Popular Hot Rodding Mag. below if it has 425HP Please put my down to purchase one as soon as it comes out next year, 2 or 4 doors doesn't matta to me as long as it has the HP to back it up and better styling then the bland (In My Opinion) GTO.

Popula Hot Rodding Charger

Joe

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by chadbarb99@Jun 2 2004, 11:59 PM
Wow, and it's even more powerful than both the GTO and Corvette, CTS-V even. Is GM going to let that happen??
.. and also substantially heavier -- V8 300s come in at a bit over 4000 lbs; AWD models are heavier.

Not to say the car won't be fast with that kind of power, but a 3200 lb Corvette with "only" 400 hp is still going to run away from a 800 lb heavier SRT-8.

The 3700 lb GTO is rumoured to be receiving the new 400 hp V8 next year; the 3800 lb CTS-V is probably the car most threatened by the SRT-8, but GM is rumoured to be testing higher hp versions of the "V" already. Given that it currently shares the Z06 motor and the next Z06 is rumoured to have nearly 500 hp, I suspect GM has it covered.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by Tone+Jun 3 2004, 08:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tone @ Jun 3 2004, 08:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chadbarb99@Jun 2 2004, 11:59 PM
Wow, and it's even more powerful than both the GTO and Corvette, CTS-V even.  Is GM going to let that happen??
.. and also substantially heavier -- V8 300s come in at a bit over 4000 lbs; AWD models are heavier.

Not to say the car won't be fast with that kind of power, but a 3200 lb Corvette with "only" 400 hp is still going to run away from a 800 lb heavier SRT-8.

The 3700 lb GTO is rumoured to be receiving the new 400 hp V8 next year; the 3800 lb CTS-V is probably the car most threatened by the SRT-8, but GM is rumoured to be testing higher hp versions of the "V" already. Given that it currently shares the Z06 motor and the next Z06 is rumoured to have nearly 500 hp, I suspect GM has it covered. [/b][/quote]
Hope so, not that I do not like the new 300C which I think it's a bad a** car I just don't want GM to fall short

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 6.1 Hemi is going to be put in the PVO version of the 300. I believe it is going to be called the SRT-8. Dodge is planning on have a pvo version of most of there fleet by 2007 ( direct comp. for SVT ) We will see what happens. B)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Here is what I think is strange. I have heard a few rumors about the 300 getting the more zopped up engine and it being called the SRT-8. Here is my question/confusion isn't the SRT logo used only by Dodge (SRT-4 = Dodge Neon, SRT-10 Dodge RAM) So why would the SRT-8 be crossed to the Chrysler 300, I would think it would be more like the Dodge Charger slated for production next year would get the Name SRT-8 it seems more fitted for it. (Possibly reserving the SRT-6 Logo for the Avenger or some future coupe) Just my 2 Cents.

Joe

·
Registered
524 Posts
The SRT-6 is already used on the supercharged Chrysler Crossfire.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by #3Chevy@Jul 8 2004, 10:53 PM
Hey dont forget about the "Blue Devil" Chevy is making with 755 Horsepower and 750 ft lbs of torque. :mrt:
Where did you get those numbers?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts