1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Please post concept pictures only in the concepts section.

And if you were to make a 5th gen Fbody, I wouldn't want it to look like that.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these pictures are from someone else. Only something visual for the poll.

thanks

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Sorry, folks, but the pony car market is very limited. About one model's worth, I'd say. And that's Mustang. Ford owns the ponycar business (hence the name . . . ). I doubt the market could even support a new Camaro, much less a new Firebird.

Two problems make this so: first, ponycars are supposed to be cheap, so the margins are thin. Second, the ponycar buyers of the past - young males - buy SUVs these days.

Sorry folks, no Firebird.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by AMcA@Mar 28 2004, 06:26 PM
Sorry, folks, but the pony car market is very limited. About one model's worth, I'd say. And that's Mustang. Ford owns the ponycar business (hence the name . . . ). I doubt the market could even support a new Camaro, much less a new Firebird.

Two problems make this so: first, ponycars are supposed to be cheap, so the margins are thin. Second, the ponycar buyers of the past - young males - buy SUVs these days.

Sorry folks, no Firebird.
I am in my Mid 30' and would prefer another Camaro/Firebird than a SUV. I do not want a truck that tries to be a car and can never make it to a car and then fails to be a truck any longer. Actually, even though GM has failed, VW has been successful with all those with the Touareg. Maybe I will get that when I finish paying my WS6 off.

"No one would buy a Camaro/Firebird because they are buying SUVs.... what a Yuppie" LOL LOL

:lol: :lol:

:bounce:

:mf_boff:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd love to see the Firebird comes back - as a retro 5th generation bird. Our club will still be here to welcome the new bird to the flock. Not having a new Firebird coming out of production every year is sorely missed. I've loved this car since I was a child over 35 years ago. I don't know how the market would take to it, but it's a chance to take. Wasn't it taking a chance over 25 years ago when it came out??? ;)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I have a Firebird. If GM brings back a Camaro then a Firebird is logical. I don't like the concept you have posted by that is my opinion. If GM is going to have a new pony car then it will have to be a low priced car and avoid moving too upmarket.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Put half of that 1000 hp Ecotec in a Solstice and call it a Firebird and I'll be happy.

I honestly think the days of inexpensive RWD muscle cars are gone. There are just too many reasons why.

1. The youth market doesn't like them as much as they like their turbocharged (or even base naturally aspirated) sport compacts
2. The previous pony car buyers are indeed buying SUVs and PICKUPS - hence the big "street truck" trend. If these guys would stop spending all of that money to try making their pickups go fast...
3. The insurance on RWD V8 powered affordable cars is nuts, and makes the cars not so cheap or affordable any longer.

Ford is going to have the market wrapped up with the Mustang. Perhaps if they can draw new interest and new blood into the pony car / muscle car market, GM will be able to capitalize on a new trend by bringing back the Camaro and Firebird, but hopefully not as clones.

·
Registered
287 Posts
IMHO, I think there should be. Why is Pontiacs halo car only $33K and Chevrolets $50? I think they should move the GTO up in price and fit the Firebird between the Solstice and GTO. Their alreaddy showing that the GTO can be a luxury car in that the new GTO is PLUSH in the interior department, and they can't surpass the Corvette in performance, so why not just make the GTO a little more upscale with a little less power than the 'Vette and keep the Firebird for the pony car segment? I'm sure they've alreaddy come up with a plan for why this wouldn't work...I just think it would be interesting like this....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts