GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are they? GM is falling behind on the trans. The 4spd is good, but how come the G6, Malibu and other divisions dont have a 5spd yet? Why no 5spd on the Vette? What 5spds does GM have? They h ave the 5spd for the sigma's and xlr, and 5spd for the HD trucks... and... and... Hello? Come on GM, where are they?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 25 2004, 10:36 PM
Where are they?  GM is falling behind on the trans.  The 4spd is good,  but how come the G6, Malibu and other divisions dont have a 5spd yet?  Why no 5spd on the Vette?  What 5spds does GM have?  They h ave the 5spd for the sigma's and xlr, and 5spd for the HD trucks... and... and... Hello?  Come on GM, where are they?
GM is skipping the premium 5 speed autos. I remember reading the new 6 speed autos (RWD and FWD) will be out soon. They were named something like X15, X16 for the RWD versions. Perhaps we'll soon be reading reveiws where Honda's and Toyota's are being bashed for having lame 5 speed autos :lol:

If anyone knows how to build automatic transmissions, it's GM. Even some Ford and Dodge guys will agree that the TH400(or later 4L80E) is the strongest auto tranny out there.

Edit: Here's some info I found on the 6 speed RWD transmissions.....
http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo.../rwd_6speed.pdf
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3MKT/2...1/article.jhtml
So in 2005 lots of GM vehicles should be updated with the 6 speed autos for the '06MY B)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have no problem at all with 4-speeds.
I might opt for 5- or 6-speeds if my car
only had 150 ft-lb of torque. Mercedes
is going to deliver a 7-speed auto. That
sounds like a waste, in my own opinion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Jan 26 2004, 09:13 AM
I have no problem at all with 4-speeds.
I might opt for 5- or 6-speeds if my car
only had 150 ft-lb of torque. Mercedes
is going to deliver a 7-speed auto. That
sounds like a waste, in my own opinion.
Are you saying GMs 6 speed auto's wont handle torque?
http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo.../rwd_6speed.pdf
According to that the X16R is being designed to handle 705 Nm(520 lb-ft)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Are you saying GMs 6 speed auto's wont handle torque?
I think Hemi's argument is that big torque can make up for one fewer ratio.

While I hardly think the 4L60E is "lame," the transmission makes too many compromises in the high-torque C5. The stock fuel economy compromise is just too big, and standard C5's, with their 2.73 rear ends do border on lame for their clumsy off-the-line response. The optional 3.15 axle helps some, but a 5- or 6-speed automatic is a far better solution.

If GM is skipping the 5-speeds in favor of 6-speeds, all the better.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Yeah, torque and durability of the belt are the biggest issues. Plus, I thought the Saturn VUE already had an optional CVT...?

Then again, what do I know. I was born in a tub of KY Jelly and ground up vitamines. Yes, I'm recycling that joke, like so many body parts.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts