GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
55 Years Later, Cadillac Wins Again!
Angelelli, Pilgrim And Team Cadillac Make An Impressive SPEED GT Debut With One-Two Finish At Sebring

Posted by John Davison | March 19, 2004

Sebring,Fla.(March 19, 2004) –Italian Max Angelelli and Team Cadillac teammate Andy Pilgrim, of Delray Beach, Fla., put on an impressive display in their SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT debut at Sebring International Raceway today, as part of the Mobil 1 52nd Annual 12 Hours of Sebring event. While polesitter Angelelli led the majority of the event to capture his first SPEED GT win, Pilgrim stalled the car at the start of the race and had to pass 28 cars to finish second. Michael Galati, of Olmsted,Ohio, finished third.

After much anticipation as to how the Cadillac CTS-V would perform under race conditions, all questions were answered when Angelelli piloted the No. 16 Cadillac/Mobil 1/Motorola/Bose Cadillac CTS-V to a solid win. He edged out his teammate by 0.358-second margin of victory in a formation finish at a record average speed of 99.903 mph.

"I knew I had a good car," Angelelli said. "My car, at the moment, is slightly faster than the Audi and I just drove to the win.

Pilgrim, who drove the No. 8 Cadillac/Mobil 1/Motorola/Bose Cadillac CTS-V, knew something was wrong with his car just prior to the start, Pilgrim’s car stalled. The result left Pilgrim hoping the cars behind his third starting spot would not hit him as they went by. Despite the snafu, Pilgrim recovered nicely setting the new fast race lap record of 2:10.249 (101.272 mph) as he passed every car in the field except his teammate to capture second place. It was Pilgrim’s ninth career SPEED World Challenge podium finish.

more...

Results:

1, (1), Max Angelelli,Monte Carlo,Monaco, Cadillac CTS-V, 20.
2, (3), Andy Pilgrim,Delray Beach,Fla., Cadillac CTS-V, 20, -.358.
3, (7), Michael Galati, N.Olmsted,Ohio, Audi RS 6 Comp, 20, -4.192.
4, (5), Tommy Archer,Duluth,Minn., Viper CompCoupe, 20, -6.618.
5, (4), Phil McClure,Floris,Iowa, Corvette Z06, 20, -28.005.
6, (29), John Young,Woodside,Calif., Saleen SR, 20, -36.631.
7, (6), Leighton Reese,Minnetonka,Minn., Corvette Z06, 20, -39.064.
8, (8), Peter Tonelli,Shrewsbury,Mass., Viper CompCoupe, 20, -39.222.
9, (9), Bob Woodhouse®,Blair,Neb., Viper CompCoupe, 20, -51.147.
10, (11), Tim Wiens,Westminster,Colo., Viper CompCoupe, 20, -57.672.
11, (32), Mike McCann®,Canton,Ohio, Viper CompCoupe, 20, -57.89.
12, (10), Michael Culver,Westport,Conn., Porsche 911 Cup, 20, -1:04.9189.
13, (28), Lou Gigliotti,Dallas,Texas, Corvette Z06, 20, -1:06.2730.
14, (15), Stan Wilson®,Mt. Juliet,Tenn., Viper CompCoupe, 20, -1:16.904.
15, (12), Kevin Chambers,Menlo Park,Calif., Corvette Z06, 20, -1:17.389.
16, (16), Jim McCann®,Canton,Ohio, Viper CompCoupe, 20, -1:21.818.
17, (21), Thomas Oates,ChesterSprings,Pa., Corvette Z06, 20, -1:45.053.
18, (17), Jon Groom,Boonton,N.J., Porsche 911 Cup, 20, -1:59.055.
19, (13), Lenny Diller®, Garden City, N.Y., Viper CompCoupe, 19, -1 laps.
20, (25), Jeff McMillin,Erie,Pa., BMW M3, 19, -1 laps.
21, (19), John Bourassa,Jupiter Island,Fla., Porsche 911 T, 19, -1 laps.
22, (22), Kenny Hawkins®,Raleigh,N.C., Viper CompCoupe, 19, -1 laps.
23, (20), Adel Elsayed,Boonton,N.J., Viper CompCoupe, 19, -1 laps.
24, (18), Tom Stewart,Purcellville,Va., BMW M3, 18, Mech.
25, (26), Carol Hollfelder,Covina,Calif., Ford Mustang, 18, -2 laps.
26, (2), Randy Pobst,Gainesville,Ga., Audi RS 6 Comp, 18, -2 laps.
27, (27), Gunnar Jeanette®,Palm Beach Gardens,Fla., Audi S4 Comp, 16, Mech.
28, (23), Stu Hayner,Yorba Linda,Calif.,PontiacGTO, 14, Mech.
29, (14), Tony Gaples,Lake Forest,Ill., Corvette Z06, 7, Mech.
30, (31), Keith Videtto®,San Ramon,Calif., Corvette Z06, 1, Oheat.
31, (24), Shawn Greene®,Scottsdale,Ariz., BMW M3, 0, Mech.
32, (30), Craig Gelston,Raleigh,N.C., Corvette, 0, DNS.

Time of race: 44 minutes, 26.565 seconds.
Average speed: 99.903 mph
Margin of victory: 0.358-second

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yep. I was watching it on the tv. Congats, Cadillac! Looks like they're going to be quite the contender. BTW, does anyone know if the Pontiac GTO is going to be doing any racing, maybe next year or in '07 when the new GTO shows up?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by GN6@Mar 21 2004, 02:05 PM
Yep. I was watching it on the tv. Congats, Cadillac! Looks like they're going to be quite the contender. BTW, does anyone know if the Pontiac GTO is going to be doing any racing, maybe next year or in '07 when the new GTO shows up?
Uhh, look at 28th place...

·
Registered
790 Posts
can any of these races be downloaded off the internet anywhere? i dont have cable, and i want to see a caddy kick some ***.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i didn't see the race and this is pure speculation...but i'm guessing the GTO that was in this race was just a private team, not factory funded like the caddies. i've seen these races before and it seems like basically the same guys tend to run up front most of the time, and it's all the factory teams and then there are a few others who just seem to kinda run around in the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think pontiac should have a chat to the holden racing team(the red barrons) in AUS to see how to get power if there that far back, and the HRT 427 is a no go and old news!!!

or they could get a hold of John sidney racing in melbourne, vic, Australia.
he knows his engines, cos alot of US boys speak to him for engines!!!

but you gotta love the look of the HSV monaro/pontiac GTO in race form.

if some of you missed what it looks like here ares some photo's!!!!!

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewimage.asp?id_=8317169

Enjoy
MAtt

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
3 Cheers for GM!!!!

This is exactly the kind of thing GM needs to do to build more street cred.

Now, I'm hoping for a powerful showing from a smaller FWD sedan or coupe - to compete with Acuras, etc. in the smaller car SCCA racing events. Souped up Pontiac G6 coupes and Chevrolet Cobalts / ION redlines racing in real road races - not tube chasis RWD drag strip fakery - would really help.

I would also love to just see GM win races without the Corvette's engine. More Ecotec racing, or perhaps even the new 3.9L VVT engine in races.

Everyone knows the Corvette engine is to be feared - now how about hitting them with something different?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 22 2004, 12:10 PM
3 Cheers for GM!!!!

This is exactly the kind of thing GM needs to do to build more street cred.

Now, I'm hoping for a powerful showing from a smaller FWD sedan or coupe - to compete with Acuras, etc. in the smaller car SCCA racing events. Souped up Pontiac G6 coupes and Chevrolet Cobalts / ION redlines racing in real road races - not tube chasis RWD drag strip fakery - would really help.

I would also love to just see GM win races without the Corvette's engine. More Ecotec racing, or perhaps even the new 3.9L VVT engine in races.

Everyone knows the Corvette engine is to be feared - now how about hitting them with something different?
True. It's become apparent lately that NASCAR is doing nothing to enhance sales of Monte Carlos, Tauruses, or Intrepids because of the obvious differences between the street and race versions (i.e. they are all the same cars with different stickers). Hence, Pontiac has bowed out of NASCAR. According to MT, Pontiac will instead invest in developing a factory-backed race team in the SCCA series, beginning probably in around 2006, 2007, or 2008.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts