GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,436 Posts
It also shows that maybe... just maybe... the cars were really that bad back in the day and these things were the good ones lol. Just an errant thought. ;)

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Maybe because the imports had not made their mark yet. No corollas, civics, accords.
There wasn't civics and Accords but the Corolla was already there and before the Camry there was the Corona and it was a time when Nissan was known as Datsun when the 510 was poor's man BMW and the Z just arrived.

And the big import at the time was VW. The old Beetle was beginned to look like a old hat when the Corolla arrived.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The 510 Datsun was a Very Fun Car. My second job as a Kid, 16 was at a Tourist Camp about 100 miles from home. Newly Licensed I could use a 510 to drive home every 3 week to see the Family.

I got my first speeding ticket in that car. 2 months licensed. There was a Probationary Period for new drivers. 2 years with 6 Demerit Points. That ticket took 4 of those points leaving me with 2 points for 22 months. A Failing to use Turn Signals charge would have taken my License!

Fun Car though, it was an Auto but manual steering and brakes. Drove like it was on rails.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,436 Posts
The 510 Datsun was a Very Fun Car. My second job as a Kid, 16 was at a Tourist Camp about 100 miles from home. Newly Licensed I could use a 510 to drive home every 3 week to see the Family.

I got my first speeding ticket in that car. 2 months licensed. There was a Probationary Period for new drivers. 2 years with 6 Demerit Points. That ticket took 4 of those points leaving me with 2 points for 22 months. A Failing to use Turn Signals charge would have taken my License!

Fun Car though, it was an Auto but manual steering and brakes. Drove like it was on rails.
My Parents had a 1980 Datsun 210 HB. Orange with striping, a manual transmission and it was kind of a fun little car. They were going from the central Utah area to SLC one cold January morning where some places it was well below zero in lower valley locations. It kept fogging and icing up inside and they had to be scraping the insides of the windows to see. The HVAC system could not keep up. They came home in a brand new Cadillac Coupe De Ville. Dad said that they didn't need to live like that and put up with that in a car. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I loved our Vega - learned how to drive a stick in my mom's dark green 1974 hatchback (well, sort of....I learned the difference between 'clutch' and 'brake' pedals) I do remember that they were deemed so "useless" that in '78 or '79, my dad had a '73 Vega that he cut in half in the garage so it would fit on the trailer so he could haul it to the scrapyard. Now, I'd love to have one. My mom's is still sitting at their house.....and it hasn't rotted into the ground. Odd. I had an offshoot, a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback that came with the 3.8 V6 and 3 speed automatic that I swapped in a 4.3 v8 (yes, a 262 cubic inch V8....gotta love the 80's) and a Skyhawk 5 speed manual. That car was fun. They came with the Cosworth Vega rear suspension (torque arm/trailing arm/Panhard rod) that was later used on the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird. Our old Vega ran like a top, never had any issues with it. I've owned every version of the compact cars built at Lordstown: a Vega Kammback with a Buick 215 V8, a Pontiac Sunbird (aka Chevrolet Monza), a Chevrolet Cobalt and both versions of Cruze.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts