GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,508 Posts
My brother had a 71 just like this example. I had a 75 Kammback - fun, but under powered. I still think they were great looking compacts!
I always thought they were nice looking little cars myself too.
Motor Trend referenced Chevy Vega in its 2022 COTY article for Lucid Air:

Is Motor Trend tacitly implying that their pick for 1971 COTY was a mistake?
I think it kind of sounds that way doesn't it.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
The Vega chassis spanned some spin-off models for 1975 with the Chevy Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird and Olds Starfire (not sold in Canada) and the Vega kammback wagon soldiered 2 more years as a Monza model.

The Vega didn't put GM out of business but it harmed its credibility until the Citation arrived and said "hold my beer". ;)
And the Citation once again revived that tarnished image and downward spiral..... :(

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
It also shows that maybe... just maybe... the cars were really that bad back in the day and these things were the good ones lol. Just an errant thought. ;)

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
The 510 Datsun was a Very Fun Car. My second job as a Kid, 16 was at a Tourist Camp about 100 miles from home. Newly Licensed I could use a 510 to drive home every 3 week to see the Family.

I got my first speeding ticket in that car. 2 months licensed. There was a Probationary Period for new drivers. 2 years with 6 Demerit Points. That ticket took 4 of those points leaving me with 2 points for 22 months. A Failing to use Turn Signals charge would have taken my License!

Fun Car though, it was an Auto but manual steering and brakes. Drove like it was on rails.
My Parents had a 1980 Datsun 210 HB. Orange with striping, a manual transmission and it was kind of a fun little car. They were going from the central Utah area to SLC one cold January morning where some places it was well below zero in lower valley locations. It kept fogging and icing up inside and they had to be scraping the insides of the windows to see. The HVAC system could not keep up. They came home in a brand new Cadillac Coupe De Ville. Dad said that they didn't need to live like that and put up with that in a car. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts