GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
For the members here who don't remember what the issue with the Vega, it was the revolutionary sleeveless aluminum 2.3 liter I-4 engine. There had been aluminum automobile engines before the Vega, but they featured iron sleeves. The Vega engine block was was cast of Reynolds 390 aluminum-silicon alloy. At the time, I was aware that the Vega engine suffered scoring of the cylinder walls. I understand that it also suffered cooling and vibration issues. After fours years into its run, the Dura-Built 2.3 liter engine feature hundreds of improvements. Chevrolet also higher performance 2.0 L version developed in partnership with Cosworth. However, the Vega was put to rest after MY1977.
The Vega chassis spanned some spin-off models for 1975 with the Chevy Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird and Olds Starfire (not sold in Canada) and the Vega kammback wagon soldiered 2 more years as a Monza model.

The Vega didn't put GM out of business but it harmed its credibility until the Citation arrived and said "hold my beer". ;)

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Remember these cars as a kid. Even back then they didn't seem like very good cars but I could say the same about many cars in that period.

My dad almost bought a Citation, ended up with a Plymouth Volare that wasn't likely any better.
And to think they spanned some derivatives more successeful like the A-body Century/Ciera/6000/Celebrity for GM and the M-body 1978-81 LeBaron/Fifth Avenue/Diplomat/Gran Fury for Chrysler.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Maybe because the imports had not made their mark yet. No corollas, civics, accords.
There wasn't civics and Accords but the Corolla was already there and before the Camry there was the Corona and it was a time when Nissan was known as Datsun when the 510 was poor's man BMW and the Z just arrived.

And the big import at the time was VW. The old Beetle was beginned to look like a old hat when the Corolla arrived.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts