GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad it's only in Canada for now.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/09jetta_tdi.htm

Richmond, British Columbia - In 2006, almost half of all Jetta and Golf models sold in Canada were powered by diesel engines, and the most popular diesel powered car in Canada was the Jetta TDI. So it was quite a shock when Volkswagen announced in 2006 that it wouldn't be offering any 2007 diesel models in Canada. VW's trusty 1.9-litre TDI turbo diesel just didn't meet strict new 2007 North American diesel emissions standards, a rather embarrassing situation for a company that's been building diesel engine for decades. At the time, Volkswagen's new clean diesel technology was still a year and a half away.

Well, it's still eight months away, but at least we've been given a glimpse of the future. VW's new 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel will arrive in the summer of 2008 in the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI sedan, and in the new 2009 Jetta TDI Wagon. In a special advance test drive, CanadianDriver was able to get behind the wheel of a 2009 Jetta TDI to see exactly what the future holds for patient Volkswagen diesel enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hopefully, diesel fuel prices will be down by then. At the station down the street, diesel was $1.06 higher than regular gas this morning. This isn't going to help their acceptance.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
52 mpg! Thats way to much, someone needs to tighten the emission standards again to cut it back down into the 30's! We dont want to it to cut into Big Oils profit margins!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
52 mpg! Thats way to much, someone needs to tighten the emission standards again to cut it back down into the 30's! We dont want to it to cut into Big Oils profit margins!
These are Imperial mpg, so it's 37/43 mpg in U.S. gallons. Not quite so bad for Big Oil...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
These are Imperial mpg, so it's 37/43 mpg in U.S. gallons. Not quite so bad for Big Oil...
Duh, I sould have realized that since the review was done by "Canadian" driver.:doh:

But even so, 37/43 is pretty good, I still think they need to be dialed back a few mpgs!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Diesel is about $1 higher here.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
37/43...isn't that about the same as a Prius? Either way, may have to consider one of these as my next vehicle. Getting hwy type mileage for my city mileage is quite appealing...
Not quite, but close on the highway. The Prius is rated at 48/45.

With diesel about $1 higher, the Jetta would be like driving a gasser that gets 31-32 MPG. Compared to most midsize 4cyl sedans that get about 25-26 combined, you could save about $450/year if you drive 15k miles (plus the extra torque). However, I'm not sure how much extra the diesel option cost - it could take 3-4 years to break even.....??

·
Registered
150 Posts
About $2000 option. I woud expect it to also get at least 46 highway, considering their older diesel did, and that was on ancient technology.. I mean ancient! You will notice that VW will underrate their hp and mpg, so real world is actully better. Kind of opposite for the Prius.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts