GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pressure is on now for Ford, which has had the ponycar market to itself for the better part of a decade. With the return of the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger, Ford will surely be stepping up the Mustang's performance when it receives a makeover for 2010. In an interview with stuff.co.nz, Bill Osborne, President of Ford Australia, claims that Ford is considering using a 5.0L V8 for the new Falcon - the same engine being developed for the upcoming Mustang. While nothing has been officially confirmed by Ford, this is further evidence that the 5.0 will be making a return since it was dropped from the Mustang back in 1995.

continue at the link

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
about 2 month after I said so :

380hp / ft/lbs

Igor
Could that 380hp estimate be conservative? Fourcam over on SVTP is still sticking to 400hp (400hp and 360lb-ft of torque to be exact) claiming that a 360hp version is possible for truck use. And he gives the impression that those numbers may well be conservative.

Stephane Dumas said:
let's see if this new 5.0L will be a stroked 4.6L or derivated from the new Hurricane/Boss engine family. And now we could dream of a special and limited edition of a 7.0L
.....it's a seriously reworked Mod motor, so reworked in fact that it will be considered a new engine altogether. Increased stroke and a 3.63 inch bore will yield ~5.0L in a package that includes DOHC's and direct injection.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let's see if this new 5.0L will be a stroked 4.6L or derivated from the new Hurricane/Boss engine family. And now we could dream of a special and limited edition of a 7.0L
(427/428 or 429)

well there is the 777 Hurricane 7.0 liters 700hp 700 feet/torque:bounce:

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
That I know, hence my statement.
Not a big deal really, and certainly nothing worth getting uptight over. It's a bit like Chrysler's new Hemi V8 not actually being a Hemi even though they market it as one. Semi-Hemi and Quasi-Hemi just dont sound as good as Hemi........and 5.0 sounds better than 4.9. Of course, I prefer to state these things in cubic inches myself since 302 sounds so much better.....

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
.....it's a seriously reworked Mod motor, so reworked in fact that it will be considered a new engine altogether. Increased stroke and a 3.63 inch bore will yield ~5.0L in a package that includes DOHC's and direct injection.
I won't touch anything that has anything related to the Modular motor. They're all gutless. Unless its got pushrods a V8 in a Mustang doesn't deserve to be called a 5.0L.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
I won't touch anything that has anything related to the Modular motor. They're all gutless. Unless its got pushrods a V8 in a Mustang doesn't deserve to be called a 5.0L.
400hp out of a mass production 5.0 liter V8 is a lot of things but gutless is a stretch. A pushrod V8 with the same displacement wouldn't even come close to 400hp in production trim unless it guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow. And that engine still wouldn't have the power band, in terms of peak hp or torque curve, that this engine will.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
400hp out of a mass production 5.0 liter V8 is a lot of things but gutless is a stretch. A pushrod V8 with the same displacement wouldn't even come close to 400hp in production trim unless it guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow. And that engine still wouldn't have the power band, in terms of peak hp or torque curve, that this engine will.
They make awesome power, if you like revving them. Explain why a non turbo Forester tows my jet skis much better than a 4.6L Mountaineer?

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
They make awesome power, if you like revving them. Explain why a non turbo Forester tows my jet skis much better than a 4.6L Mountaineer?
Your over-complicating the situation here drawing comparisons to the existing mod motor that don't exist. Other than the basis they started from the upcoming 5.0L V8 and the existing mod motor engines have almost nothing in common. The sole exception to this is the GT500/GT 5.4L mills which use heads that apparently are at least somewhat similar to what the 5.0L V8 will utilize. That similarity aside the 5.0L's increased bore diameter and myriad other changes make this engine unrecognizable as a Mod motor, which is why Ford isn't calling it one.

If you want to argue that 400hp and 360lb-ft plus of torque is somehow inadequate that is certainly your prerogative, but the reality is that nothing under 30k is going to outrun this car without question and only a handful of cars costing twice as much will be able to muster a win against a Mustang so equipped. Low end torque will be just fine partially because of the advantages of direct injection and partially because of the changes the larger bore allows for without compromising other areas.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I can see your point, but some of the early 80s 302s were sad. So, if you'd rather have an '82 5.0 over a 4.6 mod DOHC supercharged Cobra, well, to each his own.

At least Ford built a V-8 Mustang when everone else abandoned the market segment.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Jet Skis and the trailer don't weigh much at all. Gearing, vehicle profile, there are lots of variables. Granted the mods aren't power-houses in stock form, high-revs with lots of gearing is a better way to low than lugging an engine at 2,000 rpm.

Our Grand Cherokee tows 2 quads and a 800lbs trailer better than a 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed Super Duty with a 7.3. But, that Super Duty tows the backhoe better than everything but the 12V Cummins.

·
Banned
2,178 Posts
The bad news for the Camaro is that this engine doesn't appear to have the skinny bore that made the Mod motors such dogs for the past 13 years. While it's still small in 5-liter form, it may have the ability to grow to LS-like displacements. And even if doesn't grow it has DOHC, VVT, and DI to make up for it. GM needs to put DOHC heads w/ DI on the LS engines in order to maintain the hegemony that the Camaro has enjoyed over the Mustang in recent years.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I see you have a manual, which makes a big difference. The auto non-turbo Forester can't get out of it's own way.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.