1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car News briefs: Monaro (read: GTO) gets 4wd; New Bugatti boss

By AUTOWEEK

Monaro (read: GTO) gets 4wd

Holden, General Motors’ Australian offshoot, will offer permanent four-wheel drive in the Monaro, the right-hand-drive equivalent of the reborn Pontiac GTO. The two-door revealed at the recent Sydney motor show also gets a host of exterior styling changes...

Article here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I will repeat my admiration of Holden -- Holden rocks!

Imagine if the Camaro had handled like a Monaro, was given 4WD, wasn't afraid of platform changes, and had a great, modern interior like the Monaro...

Hmmm, maybe we'd still have a Camaro here?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by ZiggyKD@Oct 21 2003, 01:13 PM
Car News briefs: Monaro (read: GTO) gets 4wd; New Bugatti boss

By AUTOWEEK

Monaro (read: GTO) gets 4wd

Holden, General Motors’ Australian offshoot, will offer permanent four-wheel drive in the Monaro, the right-hand-drive equivalent of the reborn Pontiac GTO. The two-door revealed at the recent Sydney motor show also gets a host of exterior styling changes...

Article here
B) I have always said that there should be 4wd options on Corvette and GTO

·
Registered
750 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Oct 21 2003, 06:35 PM
I will repeat my admiration of Holden -- Holden rocks!

Imagine if the Camaro had handled like a Monaro, was given 4WD, wasn't afraid of platform changes, and had a great, modern interior like the Monaro...

Hmmm, maybe we'd still have a Camaro here?
Yeah but it would in no way be a camaro anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Oct 21 2003, 08:04 PM

Yeah but it would in no way be a camaro anymore.
Imagine if the Corvette today still had a 150 hp engine and a 2-speed automatic.

;)

Change is good if performance is the better for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It doesn't mean that the next gto/camaro will have AWD. It does prove that the new VE platform can handle AWD. If Buick gets a new RWD flagship based on the VE, then we may see AWD. Maybe even cadillac.

:rudolph: :plasma:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Of course, if we see a G6 that is AWD it would kind of set a precedent and it would make since for the higher model as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Having lived in the US for the last 4 years, and being from Australia. I can't believe that they wouldn't bring out the awd monaro as a gto here.

5.7L 360HP V8 AWD!!!

:bounce:

I want one!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by sykboy@Oct 23 2003, 09:46 AM
Of course, if we see a G6 that is AWD it would kind of set a precedent and it would make since for the higher model as well.
Why would an all-wheel drive G6 be any sign of things to come? Remember the Pontiac 6000 STE AWD?

Before you all get defensive, this is a different time and place and the market is much more open to such vehicles. All-wheel drive is almost a necessity in this market with front-drivers pushing ever-so-close to the magic "300hp" level (the theoretical max for a street front-driver).

With GTO volumes where they are, I would bet against an all-wheel drive GTO coming to the states. IF another model (preferably higher-volume) joins the market with the same drivetrain...or AWD becomes standard on the GTO...then I would give the AWD GTO better chances.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Oct 27 2003, 08:52 PM
With GTO volumes where they are, I would bet against an all-wheel drive GTO coming to the states. IF another model (preferably higher-volume) joins the market with the same drivetrain...or AWD becomes standard on the GTO...then I would give the AWD GTO better chances.
I agree with you on that one, the chances of AWD here are slim considering the number of cars being imported. Heck we won't even see it in Canada for another few years. (5mph bumpers, or something like that)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I see your point Hudson but it sure would be nice if Pontiac could become the GM brand to carry AWD as a feature. I don't remember the 6000 STE AWD (doesn't sound very interesting). I do remember diesel Old's though and you would have thought they would have ruined diesels forever. Now diesels are making a come back. Because now the market, just as you said, is ready for it and the technology to do it right is here or around the bend. AWD is being developed and introduced into every class as well. A GTO with AWD would bust a big @$$ whole in this market, IMO. There is nothing like it. There also exists the tendancy for GM to use AWD on their high performance( and I guess the silv. SS too :D ) trucks, which I suppose doesn't nec. apply, though it does show a certain line of thought/direction. Couple these things and the desire for the GTO to be king and it isn't totally unimaginable that we could one day see a GTO/AWD. I for one would not mind it one bit. To the contrary...BRING IT ON! :woot2: :bounce: :woot2:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Gm's American marques need a good sporty, carlike SUV/crossover instead of every brand basing its midsize off of the GMT 360. The avalanche would be an excellent SUV for pontiac with a more upscale version to Buick (although the SRX would be good for a base, too). These would offer another Gm choice in the burgeoning SUV market, and, imho, would better compete with the sporty European and Japanese SUV's. The Pontiac could compete with the Japanese at a lower price point, and a more well-appointed Buick could compete with VW, BMW, Merc, etc. This platform may also be more suitable for Saab.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why would anyone want AWD on a GTO? It is completely uneccessary for a 3700 lb. performance car. For a lightweight 3000 lb. car like an Evo or WRX that is fighting for every bit of grip it can get, I can understand. But if mass is proportional to traction, it is not needed on a car as heavy as the GTO. Besides, AWD will add an additional 200 lbs (now we're up to 3900 lbs.) and degrade performance. Remember the Stealth and 3000 GT? Too heavy to be considered great performance cars. "But they are good in the snow" - I say who cares. You want a good snow car, buy a beater Jeep for the winter.

·
Registered
685 Posts
:woot2: Yeah, weight increases traction. :woot2: Thats why they started making dragster chassis out of lead and put the drivers on a beer and pizza diet :woot2: That's classic! You're right AWD drive wouldn't help this car launch or corner or anything.

GIVE ME AWD, just let me decide how much power goes where.

·
Registered
191 Posts
<_< Hey sykboy, here's a lesson for you today so take some notes. Traction is a friction force, which is equal to the coefficient of friction times the downward force being placed on the tires. As wieght is transfered to the rear, the downward force over the wheel increases. The two components which determine traction are the coefficient of friction (i.e. tire compound) and downward force. So that's exactly my point - this car is already too heavy. More weight is going to make it slower and handle worse. A 3700 lb. car doesn't need an additional 200 lbs. in a transfer case, front diff, and driveshafts since it's heavy enough already. There's already enough weight there for tractive forces without the need for AWD. <_<

·
Registered
685 Posts
AWD is a perfect fix to the traction problem. You say the AWD system will add 200lbs? That is a small price to pay for for better acceleration and handling. You don't think AWD helps in either case? BFS. Oh, adding 200lbs would be bad for the "tractive forces"... if it didn't add any. Having two more tires putting the power down won't help? Right. You sure are a 1/4 mile guy, not a bad thing, I primarily am too, but get out of the box once in a while. So, 2wd gets better traction, huh? Damn, you better call Hummer.

EVERYONE knows weight is the enemy of any kind of performance, handling, accel. stopping. At the point of 3700lbs, I would rather see the benefits of AWD and an extra 200lbs. Your little physics spew was funny.

Nice rides by the way, esp. 87GN(this is where I figured you are a 1/4 mile guy)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts