GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a built 400 Small Block in his '84 vette and is takin it out and said he'd sell me the block and rotating assembly, So I need to find out if LT1 heads on my T/A will work on a 400 small block.

Thanks,

·
Registered
750 Posts
NO, they wont.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
S.B. Chevy heads are S.B. Chevy heads. bolt paterns are all the same (up to Z06)
F.I. or Carburated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
not to mention that the 400 small block factory heads have steam holes in them..its kind of a weird thing. no way they will work..try goin with a pair of vortec heads off a 305. have em ported and polished and some bigger valves and you will be rocking. the only reason i say is 305 and not 350 is because the cc in the chambers are smaller to give ya more compression. :woot2:

·
Registered
131 Posts
NO it will not work. Combustion chamber design and steam holes aside, LT1 heads will not work because of the reverse cooling design that LT1/LS1 heads have. The cooling journals will not match up with a 400 block It also would not be practical to try and install a Gen I sbc into a 4th gen F-body, the mounts are in a totally different location, and what would you do for a water pump?. If you are looking for more cubic inches you should look into a stroker kit for the LT1.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldn't work. My friend also has a stock LT1 block, So I'm just gonna build that motor and do it that way. Thanks for everyones replys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts