GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With regards to the 4.9L V8 that was a Cadillac mainstay up until the N* really took over, I was wondering something.........I read here (scroll to bottom) that the recommended fuel for it is 'premium unleaded'. Is that true?? And if so.....what would be the risks one would take if he used regular??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have the Owners Manual? Some engines REQUIRE Premium Fuel and some have it RECOMMEMDED. GENERALLY SPEAKING, the engines that require premium fuel run the risk of being damaged from a lower octane fuel. On engines that recommend premium, sometimes a lower octane fuel can be used because the engine management system will retard timing to compensate for it and thus not damage the engine. I am sorry that I can't give a specific answer to your question. Since I retired I lost my sources for some types of information but hopefully I have given you some things to think about.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Given what I've heard about superchargers on the 3.8, the car can run on regular, but it isn't recommended. The higher octane fuel reduces the chance of pings and helps the engine run as it should. Besides, you only spend a quarter more a gallon for premium anyway, lol-ok, that wasn't funny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts