GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers who GIVE UP their cars will be offered £3,000 in 'credit' to spend on public transport, electric scooters and taxis under new green plans

By KUMAIL JAFFER FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 09:08, 20 February 2021 | UPDATED: 11:23, 20 February 2021

• Drivers will receive public money to abandon their vehicle for 'credits'
  • Will be used on other modes of transport such as bicycles and electric scooters
  • Credits will work on congestion-easing forms like public transport and car clubs
Motorists are to be given up to £3,000 to replace their cars with greener forms of transport.
Drivers in built-up areas with the most polluting cars will receive public money to abandon their vehicle for 'credits'.
These will be used on alternative modes of transport such as bicycles and electric scooters but will also work on congestion-easing forms like public transport, car clubs and taxis.
It is hoped that the move will reduce car dependency in major cities.

The scheme will be trialled for two years in Coventry this spring, targeted at those with diesel cars built before 2016 and petrol motors before 2006, according to The Times.

Motorists in the area who agree to have their car towed away for the duration of the trial will be given between £1,500 and £3,000 to spend on alternative transport.

The West Midlands scheme is being paid for as part of a £22million 'future transport' initiative funded by the government.

Andy Street, the West Midlands mayor, said: 'We have a number of candidates lined up in Coventry following a public appeal for volunteers last year and are putting processes in place to allow them to scrap their old cars in exchange for transport credits later this spring.'

A similar programme could also take place in Hampshire, where the county council is pondering a 'mobility credit scheme' for residents who agree to give up their car for good.

Though the miles dropped in 2020 due to the pandemic, in 2019 vehicles collectively covered 365.5billion miles - 278.2 of which were cars and taxis - representing an increase of almost 11 percent in five years.

Xavier Brice, chief executive of cycling and walking charity Sustrans, said: 'It is great to see local authorities considering new ways to reduce car dependency, including mobility credit.

Better, more affordable, public transport is critical to combating air pollution and climate change.'

He said car use accounted for most of the roadside air pollution and carbon emissions.

However, AA president Edmund King pointed out that the 'bizarre' initiative came at a time when many car companies have committed to going electric.

Earlier this week Ford pledged to only sell electric cars in Europe by 2030.

He said: 'The money would probably be better spent on providing electric charging points for those without off-street parking rather than giving mobility credits for services that people will use when they need to or feel safe to.

LINK

Totally bonkers what going on Rupert Trooper this is happening right on your Tamworth doorstep almost in nearby Coventry?

It like seems people will do is give up their cars for two years, and start using them again after 2 years at the best, they may even give up on car ownership all together, which is the intention of this scheme. This is totally madness using British taxpayers money to destroy automotive industry.

You must know whats going on Rupert Trooper this is happening on your doorstep in the Midlands, are these a bunch of looney lefties implementing this in your local area? What with new Birmingham Clean Air Zones opening in June you seems to be turning very anti car in the Midlands.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I knew nothing of this scheme until your posting - it's a trial scheme that has been deferred because of Covid.

Like many places, UK cities have a major problem with traffic congestion and poor air quality - unlike many places, UK cities are compressed in to small areas which are difficult to build our way out of - there's also reluctance to invest heavily in public transport regardless of party politics.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
IMHO NOT the WORST idea I have read and like most of this style I doubt it will be a "success" unless 3000 is a GOOD price for your car and a 2016 Diesel likely is WORTH more then that
I can see a lot of the takers being people with pre 06 petrol "beaters" not worth that and as a way to "unload" a worthless heap and buy a "E bike" for the kids OR to actually commute on OR maybe a bus pass for a family member that ALREADY commutes via transit

I wonder if there is ANY stipulation of NO private car purchase - as without that it is a UK version of cash-for-clunkers
Lose the car and lose your freedom, herded into trains by your rulers, part of ”the masses”
A lot of urban people OPENLY COMMUTE using transit as it is OFTEN way better then driving and trying to park @ work

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
IMHO NOT the WORST idea I have read and like most of this style I doubt it will be a "success" unless 3000 is a GOOD price for your car and a 2016 Diesel likely is WORTH more then that
I can see a lot of the takers being people with pre 06 petrol "beaters" not worth that and as a way to "unload" a worthless heap and buy a "E bike" for the kids OR to actually commute on OR maybe a bus pass for a family member that ALREADY commutes via transit

I wonder if there is ANY stipulation of NO private car purchase - as without that it is a UK version of cash-for-clunkers

A lot of urban people OPENLY COMMUTE using transit as it is OFTEN way better then driving and trying to park @ work
They don't receive money - they receive credits on a travel card which can be used for train and bus journeys.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
I'm fine with the concept of encouraging people to use public transportation or a bike. However, were I a taxpayer living in the country, I'd be pissed off. They are taking my taxpayer money to benefit someone else. While I get that happens all the time with taxpayer $$, this doesn't sit well with me. And, the switch to electric will benefit air quality in the cities, yet the generation of electric will transfer that bad air to the country where the electric plants are. Something doesn't seem right here.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I'm fine with the concept of encouraging people to use public transportation or a bike. However, were I a taxpayer living in the country, I'd be pissed off. They are taking my taxpayer money to benefit someone else. While I get that happens all the time with taxpayer $$, this doesn't sit well with me. And, the switch to electric will benefit air quality in the cities, yet the generation of electric will transfer that bad air to the country where the electric plants are. Something doesn't seem right here.
The other thing to consider....what happens when the electric grid goes down and you have electric vehicles? It seems to me in recent history, localized blackouts of electricity are more of a problem than shortages of gasoline. If you have enough people who rely on local charging stations or charging their vehicles in the garage, and you have blackouts/brownouts, it can be a growing issue.

If, IF, you are planning on growing electric vehicle sales, then you need to invest in electrical deliver methods that are reliable (more than we have now).

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
The other thing to consider....what happens when the electric grid goes down and you have electric vehicles? It seems to me in recent history, localized blackouts of electricity are more of a problem than shortages of gasoline. If you have enough people who rely on local charging stations or charging their vehicles in the garage, and you have blackouts/brownouts, it can be a growing issue.

If, IF, you are planning on growing electric vehicle sales, then you need to invest in electrical deliver methods that are reliable (more than we have now).
They've been saying it for years that we've not invested enough into our electric grids and BEV charging will be another aspect. The downside is our electric bills need to go up to pay for improvements.

My area hasn't had rolling blackouts, but we are prone to storms taking out power for a week, so my solution is I bought a generator. That may need to be the solution for some... Which of course is not good for the environment as the generator puts out a lot more emissions than an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This is a bad comedy waiting to come to the Americas and then the world.

The way I look at this scheme you have 2 choices: 1. You sit at home to "do your part" to keep the grid up (while your $100k BEV sits in the driveway) or 2. Drive your BEV around and when you get home to charge your $100k BEV; you can't cause the grid is down and you don't have any electrcity to charge it let alone do anything else.

It's so simple..the choice is yours.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
It's worth noting that the UK's electricity grid doesn't have the outages that some parts of North America - an occasional issue with equipment failure but no overload conditions - the energy-generating companies claim to be on track to meet the increase in demand from EVs

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
It's worth noting that the UK's electricity grid doesn't have the outages that some parts of North America - an occasional issue with equipment failure but no overload conditions - the energy-generating companies claim to be on track to meet the increase in demand from EVs
Most of the USA does not have rolling power outages as far as I know. I think that is a purely a California/west coast thing which leads me to believe they've created their own problem via policy. Though part is the natural environment which is prone to wildfires, requiring them to do the rolling blackouts to avoid the fires. But I bet some of the blackouts have to do with the state government laws. On the same token, I'd say overall the USA's electric grid is not where it needs to be for today's needs, let alone tomorrow with increased battery usage. I assume if there are breakthrough's in car batteries, there will be all sorts of other, non-car, applications for these new batteries, such as lawn equipment, and placing further demands on the electric grid.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
or are they just returning the tax that these people have paid?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If that is the case, then is it fair to everyone else who aren't having their taxes returned to offset their commuting costs?
Fairness and politics never intersect.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
If that is the case, then is it fair to everyone else who aren't having their taxes returned to offset their commuting costs?
Fairness would mean people who do not pay any taxes get nothing from taxes, or at least, beneficiaries should be vetted to only those that actually pay taxes.
Once you have more voters that don't pay taxes than those that pay, its the end of your Democracy or republic. The lazy vote in power hungry morons that keep stealing from tax payers on their behalf.

From where I sit, Britain is too far gone into Darwinism to recover it from the abyss. Its fallen to globalists, and barely holding on its identity.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
They don't receive money - they receive credits on a travel card which can be used for train and bus journeys.
and if you already have a family member that commutes by transit / bike it is better then trying to unload that old 3K beater that is mostly useless due to congestion / pollution charges
I bet this plan costs less then the GREATER COST of increasing road capacity / parking capacity in dense urban areas / OR the loss to the economy of spiralling congestion

IMHO this is NOT about EV's but PUBLIC OR ACTIVE transit solutions VS personal car transit
They have the option of owning a car
and people that take this buy out can still own a car as far as I know and if they desire can BUY a car so no loss
IMHO the social costs of offsetting those "dirty" cars VS the TAX costs and IMHO "standard" political doing something / be on the right side of history ETC not to mention the NHS budget spent on health issues due to BAD AIR in densely packed and badly polluted major cities is greater then a 3K payout to buy back some beaters as nobody is going to turn in a 20K diesel BIMMER

1 - 19 of 19 Posts