GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dad has a 1933 Oldsmobile...does anyone out there know where I can find out any interesting information from the VIN...are there online links for that that anybody knows of? :confused: Thought I'd get a jump on Father's Day and try to find some kind of interesting tidbit if it is possible for such an old car...you know, where it was in the model year's total run, etc. IT was the depths of the Great Depression so I am not sure what records may have been kept originally or still exist today...

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, unfortunately no dice on that site. I think the car is just too old I guess. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It might be worthwhile to track down a 1933 Olds service manual. I don't know what kind of information is in the older books, but my '68 and '69 Buick manuals have a lot of information regarding decoding the VIN.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be worthwhile to track down a 1933 Olds service manual. I don't know what kind of information is in the older books, but my '68 and '69 Buick manuals have a lot of information regarding decoding the VIN.
Thanks Skylark, that is a good suggestion...I'll try it out. I'll report back to the thread if I have any luck...

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Found this in another GMI thread, cant vouch for it but you may want to give it a go.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f77/great-oldsmobile-link-61192/

I think I've a got a 32 olds owners manual (reproduction) "somewhere" but it's for the Australian version so it could well be quite different. Post a pic of your car and if it is the same look, post what info your after and i'll see if it is in the book. Repaet it's the glove box book not the service manual.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Found this in another GMI thread, cant vouch for it but you may want to give it a go.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f77/great-oldsmobile-link-61192/

I think I've a got a 32 olds owners manual (reproduction) "somewhere" but it's for the Australian version so it could well be quite different. Post a pic of your car and if it is the same look, post what info your after and i'll see if it is in the book. Repaet it's the glove box book not the service manual.
http://www.oldsmobileforum.com/

http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/index.php

http://www.classicoldsmobile.com/forums/

I am sure there is a Oldmobile addict that can help you on one of the listed forums. BTW we love pictures.
Guys, this is great stuff! I'll spend the next few weeks combing through this and see what I can find...I am trying to encourage my Dad to work on this car as opposed to some of the other Detroit Iron he has...Hudsons, DeSotos, etc...it is a challenge though, considering the condition of the car, starting with the wood frame!!

I don't want to set any false hopes, though...the car is, well, it is a 1933 Olds that is in serious need of repair...if you can imagine one that has been outside since then, probably hadn't run since the 50's...well, lets just say it is a long way from being back on the road...if I can get some pictures I will, but I am 2000 miles away from the car, so it might be a while.

Thanks again! I'll come back to this thread from time to time and let you know what I've been able to find!
:)

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Guys, this is great stuff! I'll spend the next few weeks combing through this and see what I can find...I am trying to encourage my Dad to work on this car as opposed to some of the other Detroit Iron he has...Hudsons, DeSotos, etc...it is a challenge though, considering the condition of the car, starting with the wood frame!!

I don't want to set any false hopes, though...the car is, well, it is a 1933 Olds that is in serious need of repair...if you can imagine one that has been outside since then, probably hadn't run since the 50's...well, lets just say it is a long way from being back on the road...if I can get some pictures I will, but I am 2000 miles away from the car, so it might be a while.

Thanks again! I'll come back to this thread from time to time and let you know what I've been able to find!
:)
In that case don't restore it, Hot rod it.
MonaroSS did a chop in another thread os an Aussie 32 or 33 Olds in hot rod style. I'll try to find it for you and post the link.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a great link...thanks! My Dad is going to love this!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In that case don't restore it, Hot rod it.
I like the way you think! I promised to come back and report when I had some news...I managed to get my Dad to sell me the car. So that beautiful pile of rust and old wood frame and dreams is mine! I will be going back to where I grew up in a week and will visit the old girl to get an idea of what the next step will be. Given the state of the economy and a kid just going into college, I imagine approximately a 10 year restoration will ensue...I know who I will have do the work, but I need to sit down with him and make an action plan...now if I can just win the lottery, my plan can come true!:lmao:

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Wow ... that's cool, WWI! Good luck with the '33 Olds ... and have fun with it!

And, post some pics of it when you can ... would be cool to see it.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I hope life will treat you kind" ... Dolly Parton ... 'I Will Always Love You'

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do! Not sure how to post pics on this site, but I'll get the pics when I am out there so I can get them on the site here when I get the chance.

But, for the mental image, think of a car that has not actually driven since the late 50s or early 60s, was sold to a junkyard, was brought out of a junkyard and stored behind a gas station for 15 years, was then moved accross the US on a flatbed trailer and has now been in a field in Colorado for the last 20 years.

As you can imagine, picutres of the car would make a great cover for a book about the dust bowl. She is a beauty but needs a LOT of work.

But, oh, the possibilities! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Good on you mate.
I hope you get a real nice rod out of her.

You going for a Rocket V8 or a Chev?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Got pics of the car! Tried to use Photobucket...hope it works...

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/WWI_Flying_Ace/
Wow ... very cool. I know, it doesn't look like much ... but, as you noted, "oh the possibilities" :)!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good on you mate.
I hope you get a real nice rod out of her.

You going for a Rocket V8 or a Chev?
Big V-8...LS9, Amigo! If you are going to dream, dream big, I always say! :drive: Either a Corvette ZR1 or a Caddy CTS-V that is running around right now will be wrecked or for sale somewhere I can get at the engine in about 10 years...long way to go before that day though!

Wow ... very cool. I know, it doesn't look like much ... but, as you noted, "oh the possibilities" :)!

Thanks for sharing the pics!
You bet! I'll come back from time to time when there is news but it will be very slow (just setting expectations!) This summer I am going back and Dad and I are going to redo the primer to keep the rust at bay. Not much progress for a quarter but it will have to do!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts