GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, lets search for " timing chain problems " and study the Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and VW responses that dominate the search.

HELP-Timing chain problems - Ford Forums
We have been told that it is the timing chain. Here is the problem, Everyone we talk to tells us that there is a different number of timing chains on our ...
www.ford-forums.com › ... › Ford Explorer - Cached - Similar
VWVortex.com - Finally ... a sound clip of timing chain noise
yeah i never thought that i had timing chain problems until i read this thread and it matched the strange noise/shaking i have ...
forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1127339 - Cached
HAS ANYONE HAD TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS? | Nissan Quest Forum Community
Oct 7, 2009 ... Luckily for me I got my problem fixed. It wasn't the timing chain for me. I had some known as spark knocking/rattling AKA "pre-detonation". ...
questdriver.com › ... › 2004 - 2009 Nissan Quest - Cached - Similar
Timing belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the internal combustion engine application, the timing belt/chain ... This is not a problem unique to timing belts since the same issue exists with all ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_belt - Cached - Similar
DIY: Replace Your Timing Chain
One of the internal working parts that wear is the timing chain and timing sprockets. ... As the timing chain and sprockets wear, this precise timing of the valves gradually ... No-Start ProblemsJump Start a CarAutomatic Transmission ...
autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/aa042702a.htm - Cached - Similar
Timing chain problem with Nissan sentra - CNET Car Tech Forums
Jun 13, 2005 ... Car Tech: Timing chain problem with Nissan sentra - Read Car Tech discussions and get tips and advice on this topic and others on CNET ...
forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102-108963.html - Cached
Videos for timing chain problems
sr20 timing chain problem
10 sec - Jun 22, 2009
Uploaded by natedrake88
youtube.com

CHEVY ENGINE REBUILD CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN ...
5 min - Feb 21, 2008
Uploaded by ronieboy44
youtube.com
What causes timing chain problems? - Yahoo! Answers
Apr 12, 2010 ... The timing chain "stretches" over time and the gears they ride against wear down, causing slack in the chain and causing the base timing at the ...
answers.yahoo.com › ... › Cars & Transportation › Maintenance & Repairs - Cached
52 plate Vauxhall Vectra C Sri 2.2 timing chain problem?‎ - Sep 20, 2009
1997 Ford Explorer Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Problems ...‎ - May 1, 2009
95 S10 timing chain problem?‎ - Sep 11, 2008

More results from answers.yahoo.com »
Get more discussion results
Timing Chain Slack Test
There is a very simple check for a loose timing chain due to a broken tensioner, worn gears, ... A compression test will also reveal timing problems. ...
www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm - Cached - Similar
Signs of Timing Belt Problems | eHow.com
Signs of Timing Belt Problems. Timing belt breakage is one of the most common causes of cars breaking down. By having an idea of what a timing belt is and ...
www.ehow.com › ... › Replace Honda Timing Belts - Cached - Similar

Searches related to timing chain problems

nissan altima timing chain problems

ford explorer timing chain problems

timing belt problems

timing chain replacement

timing chain change

honda element timing chain

engine timing belt

bmw 740 timing belt

Oh, and uh, let's try and determine how many have ****ty parts problems from Aisin or some other partially Toyota owned subsidiary besides the owner and lube product generated problems.
And your point is......???? Is the point you are trying to make here is that it is okay for GM to produce poor quality engines as long as you can find someone else that also produces poor quality?

We were discussing what has gone wrong with the timing chain on too many (not all) of the GM 3.6L engines. What VW, Ford or anyone else is doing is irrelavent. Don't try to make this a comparison, let's discuss the issue of GM's timing chain failures.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
And your point is......???? Is the point you are trying to make here is that it is okay for GM to produce poor quality engines as long as you can find someone else that also produces poor quality?

We were discussing what has gone wrong with the timing chain on too many (not all) of the GM 3.6L engines. What VW, Ford or anyone else is doing is irrelavent. Don't try to make this a comparison, let's discuss the issue of GM's timing chain failures.
How many is "too many"? An arbitrarily selected number by you? No one even has a published number. The best guess so far is anecdotal. In figuring out how many is "too many," the number of issues competitors have is absolutely relevant. For example, if 5% of every company's engines have a faulty timing chain, why is that only "too many" for GM? We have no solid evidence one way or the other, but you can't claim GM's are "too many" when we don't have data for anyone else.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts

How many? Do you know the number?

I know it seems like a lot on the internet but the Lambda, CTS and Camaro are pretty high volume sellers. Like I said, even 2% could be 20,000 vehicles.

·
Banned
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How many? Do you know the number?

I know it seems like a lot on the internet but the Lambda, CTS and Camaro are pretty high volume sellers. Like I said, even 2% could be 20,000 vehicles.
If 2% are failing this is WAY bigger than anyone thought. I can't believe you would want to sweep a huge quality problem under the rug. Any serious problem that is exhibited in 2% of the vehicles would be huge.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
If 2% are failing this is WAY bigger than anyone thought. I can't believe you would want to sweep a huge quality problem under the rug. Any serious problem that is exhibited in 2% of the vehicles would be huge.
You just need to simmer down a little bit.

Nobody is sweeping anything under the rug. You seem to try to making a mountain out of a mole hill if anything.

You simply can not make a determination about a problem merely by the amount of people who claim to have had a problem on the internet.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Even if its on 2% of the 3.6s then there is something amiss.

With that said, its usually a warranty repair and most are caught before catastrophic damage happens. At least it is something that is physically wrong and can be fixed rather easily especially compared to software or electrical problems.

Rather easily is not the best choice of words here. there is alot involved in replacement of the timing chains on these engines, and actually the new design chains are having just as many issues as the old design.

actually from my end, it would be easier to just do a reflash on the ECM, or an electrical issue, such as a sensor, etc...

this issue has been going on for some time. GM has done a pretty good job of hiding it. the public - which has the issues - ignores the issues, thinking that there 40k vehicle is bullet proof, and that the 3.6 is the best engine ever built. :lmao:

the time is now. it is time to spread the word, revolt against the incompetents at GM, and this pile of garbage engine.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You just need to simmer down a little bit.

Nobody is sweeping anything under the rug. You seem to try to making a mountain out of a mole hill if anything.

You simply can not make a determination about a problem merely by the amount of people who claim to have had a problem on the internet.
people can claim whatever they want on the internet. people like me see the issues first hand, and we are the ones that get shafted over this.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
Oh, right. Its not my fault that you get shafted. How do you want me to fix it? lol

Im talking about the electrical problems that just show up once a month and are impossible to fix. For me, Id rather have a car that would have a few mechincal problems than ONE electrical problem. Ive dealt with them before and to say they are a pain in the a$$ is an understatement.

·
Banned
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Oh, right. Its not my fault that you get shafted. How do you want me to fix it? lol

Im talking about the electrical problems that just show up once a month and are impossible to fix. For me, Id rather have a car that would have a few mechincal problems than ONE electrical problem. Ive dealt with them before and to say they are a pain in the a$$ is an understatement.
A few mechanical problems or one electrical problem, why choose between the two? They are both something that the auto manufacturers should seek to eliminate. Not merely control to a level not appreciably worse than other manufacturers.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Suzuki also used the new-style LY7 in the XL7. Any mass failures there? Anyone?
Yup...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5597689_suzuki-xl-problems.html

Apparently Suzuki drivers don't change their oil enough too...

One of the most common problems with the XL 7 involves the engine timing chain. Chains have been known to loosen, resulting in excessive noise while driving. Loose chains are also more likely to break or become disengaged, leading to sudden engine failure. In addition, the timing chain tensioners on some XL 7 models have been susceptible to breaking, allowing the chain to slip off.

Read more: Suzuki XL 7 Problems | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5597689_suzuki-xl-problems.html#ixzz1Afv8OqYO
You know it is amazing where in this case... we can all see exactly when and why the problem occured... 3.6L motors with the Coarse Chain and sprocket are fine... New chain and new sprocket is a mess...
We have GM certified technicians posting that something is wrong... that we see way too many of these engines fail... And yet...

GM, get behind these cars/trucks and make it right.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Sigh..... no, you are trolling and virtually nothing more.

Even your links are comical - in all ways possible.

And "no" the other way.

There is an industry POL problem out there and yeah, something within that has changed up so if you, or your service establishment is using the wrong oil - you can get 'bit' regardless of OEM brand.

Don't try to make this a comparison, let's discuss the issue of GM's timing chain failures.
Why would that not be relevant ?

Look, I do not want to interfere with your livelhood and spinning against GM - but enough is enough.

The topic is legitimate - you are not.

You know, come to think of it, I'm tired of you and your game here.

Lets see if we can make a case for your trolling.

Let's look at what you have been up to here at GMI - and your posts.

Today, 04:01 PM
Replies: 91
GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?
Views: 1,024
Posted By andretti
Re: GM 3.6L - timing chain problems?

Defect due to manufacturing process variation.
Forum: General Car Lounge Today, 03:40 PM
Posted By andretti

Oil starvation is a likely culprit and common engine oil passage casting variation explains why some engines exhibit early failure and others don't.
Forum: The Tech Forum Today, 03:37 PM
Replies: 33
3.6L Timing Chain Failures due to redesign?
Views: 760
Posted By andretti
Re: 3.6L Timing Chain Failures due to redesign?

A few mechanical problems or one electrical problem, why choose between the two? They are both something that the auto manufacturers should seek to eliminate. Not merely control as to not...
Forum: General Car Lounge Today, 08:49 AM
Posted By andretti

Thanks for the sales pitch! How about you quit shilling for GM and we get back to discussing the real topic. You claim that the 3.6 timing chains fail no more frequently than other companies'...
Forum: General Car Lounge Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Posted By andretti

Have you been living in a cave? This is all over the web open up your eyes!
Forum: The Tech Forum 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Replies: 25
Acadia 3.6L chain stretch
Views: 856
Posted By andretti
Re: Acadia 3.6L chain stretch

I agree the cause can't be overly extended oil change intervals as there are chains failing at 4000 miles. Clearly 4000 miles on the oil cannot significantly degrade an otherwise quality timing chain.
Forum: Letters To GM 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Replies: 57
After 6 Years of 3.6 Engine Production...Why Timing Chain Issues Now?
Views: 3,874
Posted By andretti
Re: After 6 Years of 3.6 Engine Production...Why Timing Chain Issues Now?

Dexos1 is just a licensing and royalties arrangement so that GM can make money on every dealer who carries the oil and every quart of dexos licensed oil sold. The dexos1 oil spec does not raise the...
Forum: Chevrolet Car Discussion 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Replies: 56
Poll: Which car should Chevy focus on for entry level performance?
Views: 780
Posted By andretti
Re: Which car should Chevy focus on for entry level performance?

What exactly is meant by "entry level performance"?

1) When a person wants a performance car is it necessary to first buy the "entry level performance" and then after a certain time move up to...
Forum: Letters To GM 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Posted By andretti

I think from the evidence presented here and on other threads, we can conclude the oil change interval has little or nothing to do with the timing chain failures. Just like at first GM said the...
Forum: General Car Lounge 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Posted By andretti

Timing belts now typically are scheduled to be changed after at least 100,000 miles. Ford, Honda, Toyota and recently VW all put the change interval at 100,000 or more. GM's issue is one of trying...
Forum: General Car Lounge 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Posted By andretti

This looks like the culprit in the 3.6L Timing Chain failure saga.

http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/Product/3... Summary.pdf

Smaller Pitch Timing Chain
The 3.6L V-6 VVT in the Cadillac CTS has a...
Forum: General Car Lounge 12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Replies: 34
GM's New Engine Oil: Use It Or Else!
Views: 1,812
Posted By andretti
Re: GM's New Engine Oil: Use It Or Else!

The primary issue with the Dexos oils is not that it is a new and better spec for oil. No the problem is GM charges to be licensed to sell a Dexos certified oil. In addition GM charges a royalty on...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Replies: 15
dexos1 phase in
Views: 518
Posted By andretti
Re: dexos1 phase in

I was considering again the Silverado to replace a couple of the Ridgelines I use for tow vehicles in my business. In talking with the dealer (Young Chevrolet) they seem to indicate that ONLY Dexos1...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Posted By andretti

If 2% are failing this is WAY bigger than anyone thought. I can't believe you would want to sweep a huge quality problem under the rug. Any serious problem that is exhibited in 2% of the vehicles...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Posted By andretti

And your point is......???? Is the point you are trying to make here is that it is okay for GM to produce poor quality engines as long as you can find someone else that also produces poor quality?...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Posted By andretti

You can quite wondering! How about we get back to the technical question proposed about the cause of the timing chain problems.

Lets quit trying to ignore it and address it. What do y'all think?...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Posted By andretti

No I think the problem is the opposite! GM DOESN'T make sure any vehicles are trouble-free! People who directly depend on GM for their living, tend to ignore problems or blame them on something...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Posted By andretti

Do you or any of your family members work for GM? That would explain it!
Forum: Letters To GM 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Posted By andretti

The "NEW GM" ought to fix this right away and not make every customer with a failure bring it in. They had better not treat it like the Head bolt issue and the intake manifold issue and numerous...
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Posted By andretti

Is it weird that you are claiming no problem or is it weird that so many others are claiming timing chain failures?

Do you think it is a conspiracy against GM?
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Posted By andretti

It is on Camaro, G8, CTS and Lambda Forums! Here are some of the threads from GMI

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f73/2006-cts-timing-chain-93439
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Posted By andretti

This looks like the culprit in the 3.6L Timing Chain failure saga.

http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/Product/3.6 VVT/LY7 Summary.pdf

Smaller Pitch Timing Chain
The 3.6L V-6 VVT in the Cadillac...
Forum: Letters To GM 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Posted By andretti

So it is the customers fault?
Forum: The Tech Forum 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Replies: 25
Acadia 3.6L chain stretch
Views: 856
Posted By andretti
Re: Acadia 3.6L chain stretch

This is a fairly common problem going back to 2006. On GMI alone there are (6) threads dealing with the 3.6L Timing Chain failures in several applications. It is a little surprising there is not a...
Forum: Cadillac & Buick Discussion 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Replies: 49
'07 Cadillac SRX: 10,000 miles and failed timing chain!
Views: 10,884
Posted By andretti
Re: '07 Cadillac SRX: 10,000 miles and failed timing chain!

The 3.8L was legendary! The only problems were it was a 90 degree configuration and had low specific power output.
Forum: Customers and the Outside 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Replies: 6
2006 CTS Timing Chain
Views: 777
Posted By andretti
Re: 2006 CTS Timing Chain

This timing chain problem on the 3.6L seems to go across many applications since 2006. Has it not been fixed yet?
Forum: Cadillac & Buick Discussion 12-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Replies: 49
'07 Cadillac SRX: 10,000 miles and failed timing chain!
Views: 10,884
Posted By andretti
Re: '07 Cadillac SRX: 10,000 miles and failed timing chain!

No it is a relatively small pitch (for timing chains) multirow inverted tooth chain.
Forum: Global GMC & Wuling News 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Replies: 43
Review: 2011 GMC Acadia Denali
Views: 2,397
Posted By andretti
Re: Review: 2011 GMC Acadia Denali

Total watering down of the "Denali" brand, pathetic display of greed. Does GM think people will be happy paying premium prices for this?
Forum: Global Chevrolet & Daewoo News 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Replies: 45
Sources Say: Chevrolet Considering New High-End Silverado Model
Views: 1,497
Posted By andretti
Re: Sources Say: Chevrolet Considering New High-End Silverado Model

I don't associate "high end" with the Scottsdale name. Cheyenne is a premium name and IIRC there was a "Super Cheyenne" that was the top level Chev Pickup in the 80's. My father had one with a 454,...
Forum: Monthly Sales Results 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Replies: 168
GM Reports November 2010 Sales: up 11%
Views: 8,980
Posted By andretti
Re: GM Reports November 2010 Sales: up 11%

Might want to recheck your math. It looks closer to 18.5%
Forum: Global Chevrolet & Daewoo News 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Replies: 315
Car & Driver: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Road Test
Views: 19,780
Posted By andretti
Re: Car & Driver: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Road Test

I heard Kim Jong II reviewed the Cruze and thinks it is class leading in all aspects!:D
Forum: Monthly Sales Results 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Posted By andretti

You don't seem to understand why market share is important. It is not the absolute number that is important but rather the direction of the trend. If market share is dropping steadily it is...
Forum: Monthly Sales Results 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Posted By andretti

You might want to check your math. It looks like you are several orders of magnitude off.
Forum: Monthly Sales Results 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Posted By andretti

You have to have comparisons to the past to know if things are improving or not. What got GM into a failed mess was their ignoring of the factors that cause the numbers, and focusing on the numbers...
Forum: Monthly Sales Results 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Posted By andretti

The number of brands is not the key to market share. If it was GM wouldn't have failed to begin with. No, the key to market share is having the product that suits peoples needs/wants the best.
Now.............. let's start looking around at what's 'topical' in terms of trending vehicle complaints.

Oh, look, amazing isn't, considering the number on the road - not one GM product.

Complaints with Photos

Current Problem Trends, Last 90 Days

Click on a link below for more info.

* 2004 Ford Explorer cracked panel below the rear window#1

* 2001 Honda Civic transmission failure#2

* 2008 Honda Accord premature brake wear#3

* 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 cracked dashboard#4

* 2003 Ford Explorer cracked panel below the rear window#5

* 2006 Jeep Liberty window regulator breaks#6

* 2009 Dodge Journey premature brake and rotor wear#7

* 2003 Honda Accord transmission failure#8

* 2005 Ford Explorer cracked panel below the rear window#9

* 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 cracks in dashboard#10

* 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 cracked dashboard#11

* 2007 Jeep Liberty regulators fail prematurely#12

* 2006 Ford Explorer radiator leak#13

* 2005 Ford Taurus transmission failure#14

* 2008 Honda Accord excessive oil consumption#15

* 2002 Ford Explore ro/d light is blinking#16

* 2003 Ford Taurus transmission failed#17

* 2002 Honda Civictransmission failure#18

* 2002 Honda Accord transmission failure#19

* 2002 Honda Accord hesitates and shifts very hard#20

back to home

Search Problems, Recalls, Investigations & TSBs

Example: "Bad Brakes", "Toyota Recall", etc.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

Nope, no 3.6L engine problems in that group.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good grief how many 3.6L timing chain threads are going on currently on this website not to mention other forums around the world and yet people keep on saying there is nothing wrong. Maybe 40 grand is pocket change to some of the guys on this website so they buy what the like and don't worry about the details. Well to me and most consumers its not.

I think the best I've seen so far is this problem is caused by "soccer moms" who don't check their oil LOL. Give me a break is that the best people can come up with!

WARNING: Do not purchase a (GM) vehicle driven by a Soccer MOM!! You will have engine problems! Apparently other brands on the road can with stand them LOL!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hopefully it will address the problem.

I love how posters put the blame on customer for oil levels. Even when faced with the evidence that GM has redesigned the timing chain and sprockets.

I have seen a lot of forum trolls in my days, and this post isn't a troll. It contains factual published information by GM about a problem. The people making personal attacks and generalizations about the customer facing this issue are the trolls.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hopefully it will address the problem.

I love how posters put the blame on customer for oil levels. Even when faced with the evidence that GM has redesigned the timing chain and sprockets.

I have seen a lot of forum trolls in my days, and this post isn't a troll. It contains factual published information by GM about a problem. The people making personal attacks and generalizations about the customer facing this issue are the trolls.

All I've found on this site for info in helping my purchase of an Acadia is.

Change the oil, all manufactures have these timing change issues and don't worry about it you have warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,372 Posts
No............... all manufacturers do not have timing chain issues.

However, buy what you want. If you do decide on a Lambda, make sure to sell it well before the warranty is out, as the known issue will really kill your resale, beyond warranty.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
There has been, is, and will be timing chain system problems in the auto industry.

Until something or some things of significance change, the USA will continue to disproportionally account for more of the fail - in a really big way.

Same for for the first in regards to belt cam drive systems who of late, appear to be having tensioner and related failures that then create a belt 'problem'.

Why is this so - for the chains ?

#1 reason: Lubrication issues of the mismatched / over extended type.

Lets look a little deeper at the need for this kind of smear by many of our resident anti GMnistas - especially of the Ford Explorer persuasion.

The Worst Vehicles

The 20 worst vehicles are shown below, ranked using our PainRank™ algorithm that factors in average mileage at failure, cost to fix & repair, total number of complaints, & owners' ranking of how bad the problem was.

See also: Recent Trends, Worst Complaints, Top Problem Vehicles, Top Complaints, Horror Stories, Funny Complaints, Complaints with Photos

The 20 Worst Problem Vehicles

Click on a vehicle below for more info.

* 2002 Ford Explorer#1

* 2003 Honda Accord#2

* 2004 Ford Explorer#3

* 2001 Honda Civic#4

* 2003 Ford Explorer#5

* 2008 Honda Accord#6

* 2000 Dodge Intrepid#7

* 2001 Dodge Intrepid#8

* 2002 Nissan Altima#9

* 2006 Honda Civic#10

* 2002 Toyota RAV4#11

* 2002 Honda Accord#12

* 2002 Dodge Ram 1500#13

* 2006 Ford Explorer#14

* 2004 Dodge Durango#15

* 2001 Chrysler Sebring#16

* 2009 Honda Accord#17

* 2005 Ford Explorer#18

* 1999 Dodge Intrepid#19

* 2010 Honda Accord#20

http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/

Again, no GM.

Btw, part of why the 2008 Accord and the 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Explorers are listed is wait for it 'timing chain (system) problems '.

This kind of horse**** 'presentation' by some on here about all this is exactly one of the true weaknesses in the Ford camp and doesn't bode well for Ford for the future.

" Fake it 'till you make it " ain't going to work on this one - ladies.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts