GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2009 Malibu from a dealer on Tuesday and found it to have a large paint defect on one of the doors and some paint chipping on the edge of a front fender. My dealer managed to locate an identical vehicle on Friday and I gave it a quick once over and didn't see any obvious problems. I was doing a more thorough inspection today and found the paint to be peeling and chipping off of the edge of the grille on both sides near the headlights.

My question is, what are my options? What I want to do is take the car back on Monday, get my check back and take my business elsewhere. Don't worry, my second choice is a Pontiac so I'm staying loyal to GM. Can I simply walk in to the dealer, hand over the keys and demand my check back?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but in California, where I sold cars, there is no cooling off period. It is up to the dealer, usually they will work with you. Try being polite at first, you may end up there for maintenace. Any reputable dealer will make it right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Michigan. I'm unsure of the law but seem to remember my dealer having a 72 hour period in which to return a car. I really like the Malibu but just don't know if I can trust them after getting two with paint issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just have the dealer paint the bad area. I just bought a CTS that had a paint chip on the back bumper. They repainted the entire bumper and it looks fine. I also had the bumper repainted on my previous Cadillac when it was new and I never had a problem with it. The dealer will warrant the paint for as long as your car is under warranty. BTW, my dealer took an extra $1000- off the price of the car for the paint problem. But I negotiated that before I bought the car. If you have already paid for the car, then give the dealer a chance to properly repair it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Painting the bad areas aren't going to do except mask the problem until it happens again. The seams on the front end of the car are way too tight and they come in contact with each other. While I was at the dealer returning my 2nd Malibu, my salesman and I took a look at 9 others sitting on the lot. Six of them had some kind of paint chipping or cracks in the same areas. This is an obvious manufacturing defect and the reason why I left the dealer today with my trade in instead of a new car. Since the Malibu was the only GM product I was interested in, I guess it's Ford or Chrysler.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Why Ford or Chrysler? You said previously that you'd look at a Pontiac. And you may get better quality on the exterior, but the interiors aren't much to look at, with the exception of the G8.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
They should have been caught by the dealer, when delivered by the auto carrier.

I recently had a lease return come back with only 18,000 kms, Black. When the inspecter did his inspection, it came up with "9.0 Paint thickness, every panel has been repainted"

The vehicle was serviced at our dealership since new, there was no over spray anywhere, so we know it has never been "Repainted" but things may happen on the line, or in the delivery process.

I have seen them "Totaled in shipping, I have seen some Damaged and repaired in shipping.

Paint defects, should be noted on the Bill of Laiding, when the transporter drops off the vehicle.

It is inspected when it is loaded "On Rail"' again when it is "Unloaded off Rail", again when the truck driver loads it, and again when the truck drive off loads it @ the dealership.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Paint defects should be covered under warranty...about half of my new '06 GTO had to be repainted due to clearcoat contamination issues. They did a great job, too...but the paint on current cars (not just GM) is mostly crap nowadays...you can't look at it without scratching. Fortunately, my car is silver so you really can't see the scratches unless you're right next to it...but it still bugs the piss out of me that the paint jobs on most of today's cars is total crap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paint defects should be covered under warranty...about half of my new '06 GTO had to be repainted due to clearcoat contamination issues. They did a great job, too...but the paint on current cars (not just GM) is mostly crap nowadays...you can't look at it without scratching. Fortunately, my car is silver so you really can't see the scratches unless you're right next to it...but it still bugs the piss out of me that the paint jobs on most of today's cars is total crap.
Paint being covered under warranty isn't the point. I don't find it acceptable that my brand new vehicle would need to be partially disassembled and repainted.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Paint being covered under warranty isn't the point. I don't find it acceptable that my brand new vehicle would need to be partially disassembled and repainted.
I understand your frustration...as of now, those paint issues are the only issues I've had with my GTO in over 2 years of ownership and over 11K miles...so I'm willing to cut GM a little slack here...as there were numerous other '06 GTO's that suffered from the same issue...the factory just got some bad clearcoat during a certain time. At least they stepped up and fixed the problem, unlike back in the 80's when the clearcoat peeled on my '86 IROC-Z and GM wouldn't do squat for me.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

I agree 100%.

GM pays the dealers to inspect their vehicles before they are delivered to a customer. There should be NOTHING wrong with a new vehicle when it is delivered to a customer. If a defect surfaces after delivery, then it should be repaired under the new-vehicle warranty.

I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ and there were numerous small things wrong with the car when it was delivered. The dealer did a miserable job of inspecting and preparing the car. I marked my GM survery "completely dissatisfied" in many areas - and I hope the dealer suffers for it.

Good luck - I know you will never be satisified with a new car that has to be repainted. I would not be satisified either. And GM wonders why their customers continue to flee to Honda and Toyota.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Painting the bad areas aren't going to do except mask the problem until it happens again. The seams on the front end of the car are way too tight and they come in contact with each other. While I was at the dealer returning my 2nd Malibu, my salesman and I took a look at 9 others sitting on the lot. Six of them had some kind of paint chipping or cracks in the same areas. .

body seams way too tight or too much flex in Malibu chassis?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts