GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
22,702 Posts
My two cents is we will see a lot more variety as car makes really only have tech and styling to separate themselves - I'm assuming electric is electric and we won't have big differences in electric motor feel the way ICE engines can give a distinctive feel to a car. Blazer seems to me to be aimed at a different crowd than the Equinox, but could GM get away with the two being the same size? I think GM might run into trouble with that in regard to pricing if they are the exact same cars with different sheet metal as they did in the 1980's.

· Super Moderator
22,702 Posts
Same size isn't necessarily dreadful. GM used to run 5 different versions of the same cars in different divisions. OK, some of those WERE dreadful, but you can differentiate with styling and trim levels. Auto companies make a lot of sales based on little more than the image a vehicle portrays.
But they got into a lot of trouble with the 5 car thing as people quickly realized they were all the same and GM had no real way to charge materially more for a Buick vs. a Chevy.

· Super Moderator
22,702 Posts
They DID sell those vehicles that way for decades. They only got into trouble when there was very little differentiation offered between them.
Very true! It can be done right with great results. But, I do get nervous with BEV as realistically everything will be the same, sheet metal and # of motors and tech as main differentiators. But, we also have a very big journalistic pool that is going to get bored quickly with the sameness and need something negative to generate clicks - they will be ready to pounce at the slightest whiff of 1980's Detroit. I don't want that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts