GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New Lexus RX Is the Same As It Ever Was
The Lexus RX outsells nearly every other luxury vehicle on the market. So the new one isn't trying to shake things up.
BY JOHN PEARLEY HUFFMAN
SEP 20, 2022
Road and Track

Consistency of character is an often-overlooked virtue. It’s an even more often-overlooked trap. The new 2023 Lexus RX is in an existential hammock between virtuous ideal and the hardening amber of what it has always been. And it’s lost its V6.

Introduced as the 1999 RX 300, the RX created a new market segment: the luxury, car-based, crossover. Essentially a gussied-up version of the Japanese-market Harrier, the RX instantly sold startlingly well to those buyers who trusted Toyota quality, appreciated restrained styling, needed the utility of a tall wagon, and gave not a ****e about speed or driving dynamics. It’s such a winning formula that it’s been copied by nearly every other manufacturer with absolute fidelity. And the RX is still the backbone of Lexus’ sales success, with the division moving 115,320 of them during 2021. That's the most ever.

First off, the new 2023 edition of the RX is instantly recognizable as an RX. The profile has been tweaked with a 2.4-inch longer wheelbase and a tail that’s been bobbed, but from its goofy “spindle” grille to its full-width taillights, it’s so very RX. Built to instantly fit into every upscale mall parking lot from Redondo Beach to Manhasset. Plenty of people will slide from their lease on a 2020 model over to a 2023 and hardly notice the change in the fourth bay of their garage.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images courtesy of, and credited to, Road and Track:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Looks like it took a bad hit to the rear, what with that rear quarter window and the ripple down the side. The front isn't bad, the grille is better without the ants-perspective-of-an-hourglass look. The instrument panel is cool though, especially the backlighting, nice to NOT see the Toyota "let's through the origami book AND a French curve at the instrument panel and see what we get" confusion of squircles, trapezoids, and ohmagerds that they usually use to draw a dash component. They're often so overwrought that Oxford is left struggling to find something stronger to define it by.

·
Registered
45,273 Posts
The design is a little too avant garde for me.
But having checked out last year's model, while my dad was checking out his UX, I do have to say, they've really nailed down every single detail.
The interior is really high quality and very comfortable. The tech is quite usable, albeit a bit awkward at times.

It's just an extremely well executed vehicle. It knows its customers and its market segment. And it does that very well.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Meh, its fine. Don't hate it, don't love it.

Reactions: buildacariwant

·
Registered
604 Posts
the mouth is less ugly but the nose job looks weird. Overall I got used to RX, other than the mouth the design ages better than plasticky looking bmws x3 x4 x5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts