GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
I wonder how it would be marketed? There is a slight historical overlap, as the Silverado 6500 would start where the original Kodiak (and TopKick) began in the medium-duty portfolio.

So would any Kodiak sit above the 6500 as a more "heavy duty" option and be separate from MD Silverado line?

I also kind of wonder if this could possibly speak to the current arrangement with Navistar and GM? Navistar was recently taken over by Traton, which is part of VW Group. I know GM and VW have traditionally had a bad rapport, and one could only wonder if Traton's takeover of Navistar might have GM looking to another partner for any MD (or possibly HD?) truck partnership.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how it would be marketed? There is a slight historical overlap, as the Silverado 6500 would start where the original Kodiak (and TopKick) began in the medium-duty portfolio.

So would any Kodiak sit above the 6500 as a more "heavy duty" option and be separate from MD Silverado line?

I also kind of wonder if this could possibly speak to the current arrangement with Navistar and GM? Navistar was recently taken over by Traton, which is part of VW Group. I know GM and VW have traditionally had a bad rapport, and one could only wonder if Traton's takeover of Navistar might have GM looking to another partner for any MD (or possibly HD?) truck partnership.
There is an ongoing rumor about a Chevy commercial truck larger than the Silverado 6500 being developed in conjunction with Navistar, maybe the Kodiak is it. There is a larger Cummins powered Chevy 7500 LCF coming later this year courtesy of Isuzu.

VW has begun spinning Traton off through an IPO, no telling how much influence VW will have going forward. Heard nothing but good things about the GM/Navistar partnership.

The recent announcements regarding GM's upcoming fuel cell and BEV medium duty trucks do not mention Navistar, but GM will supply fuel cells to Navistar for their over-the-road trucks.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
There is an ongoing rumor about a Chevy commercial truck larger than the Silverado 6500 being developed in conjunction with Navistar, maybe the Kodiak is it. There is a larger Cummins powered Chevy 7500 LCF coming later this year courtesy of Isuzu.

VW has begun spinning Traton off through an IPO, no telling how much influence VW will have going forward. Heard nothing but good things about the GM/Navistar partnership.

The recent announcements regarding GM's upcoming fuel cell and BEV medium duty trucks do not mention Navistar, but GM will supply fuel cells to Navistar for their over-the-road trucks.
That's some good insight there. I didn't realize that Traton was going to get spun off as separate company, or that there is an Isuzu-based product coming down the line.

Thanks for that.

I know there was a time when there were rumors of GM seeking to take a stake in Navistar before they were purchased (and/or re-forging a tie-up with Isuzu) for purposes of competing in this space. I wouldn't want to see GM distracted from what's currently on their plate, but hopefully any agreements they pursue have an eye on the long-game to reach new customers.

Reactions: Sierra12
1 - 7 of 7 Posts