·
Super Moderator
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2023 Chevrolet Colorado Chief Engineer Sheds Light on 31XX-2 Truck Platform
14 Nov 2022
By Mircea Panait
autoevolution.com

Long before General Motors began development of the 2023 model year Chevrolet Colorado, there were rumors that GM will develop a brand-new platform for said pickup. But as fate would have it, General Motors had to compromise by updating the 31XX of the outgoing truck into the 31XX-2.

Why did the biggest of the Big Three in Detroit cancel the 32XX program in favor of 31XX-2? There currently are no clear answers to this question, but it’s pretty obvious that electrification has something to do with this decision.

Legacy automakers are taking a liking to electric vehicles due to emission regulations and consumer preferences. BEV development costs a lot, which is why something has to give. In this case, that something was the Colorado’s platform. Designing a brand-new architecture is an expensive ordeal, whereas updating an existing architecture that has already paid for itself seems like a no-brainer from a financial standpoint.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts
Quick summary from the other GM News site:
  • 2023 Chevy Colorado rides on an architecture known internally at GM as 31XX-2, which is essentially a modified version of the 31XX platform that underpinned the previous generation
  • whole entire front end is new
  • chunks of the back end are new
  • parts of the middle section of the frame are shared between 31XX-2 and 31XX in terms of overall design
  • 2023 Chevy Colorado also runs an updated version of the GM eight-speed automatic transmission equipped by the second-gen model
  • the pre-update eight-speed was the subject of multiple lawsuits and reliability issues. Now, however, the updated eight-speed incorporates “learnings” taken from the previous generation and adds improvements and more componentry.
  • Production of the 2023 Chevy Colorado will launch in January of 2023 at the GM Wentzville plant in Missouri.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Did GM forget that trucks are used to haul things in the bed and need a bed big enough such things?

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts
When I first test drove a CT4 I was in disbelief that it was the same chassis as my ATS, it felt like an entirely different vehicle (and for the good). That is a feeling I still have 2 years into my ownership of my CT4-V. I'd not be surprised if the new Colorado/Canyon have a substantially different feel to them from the old.

These new trucks look to be winners via the pictures we've seen, I see no issue with updating the old chassis. It's worked just fine for Dodge and their Challenger/Charger!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did GM forget that trucks are used to haul things in the bed and need a bed big enough such things?
What GM realized is that most people are not and a large percentage are buying crew cab short beds as family commuters that can support an occasional home improvement store run. Your anger is misplaced.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What GM realized is that most people are not and a large percentage are buying crew cab short beds as family commuters that can support an occasional home improvement store run. Your anger is misplaced.
Who's angry, I am pointing out the ridiculousness of a truck without a bed big enough to actually haul stuff.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Who's angry, I am pointing out the ridiculousness of a truck without a bed big enough to actually haul stuff.
I have a CCSB and have no issues hauling stuff including 4x8 plywood and sheetrock. The other 99.5% of the time it's used as snizzle noted, to haul kids around to practices and drive through winter snow so the SS doesn't have to.

Not much of a market for a RCLB with crank windows these days...

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
Issued a Colorado for work.

Haul stuff in it all the time.

Dad has a Canyon.

Hauls stuff in it all the time.

Not everyone wants/needs a RCLB. I had a regular cab work truck for years and it was the most impractical vehicle for my needs. Even the Extended Cab I have right now truthfully doesn't have enough cab space.

Stop trolling Colorado/Canyon threads.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Dad has a Canyon.

Not everyone wants/needs a RCLB. I had a regular cab work truck for years and it was the most impractical vehicle for my needs. Even the Extended Cab I have right now truthfully doesn't have enough cab space.

Who is saying anything about regular cab long beds this is about crew cabs with vestigial beds.

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts
Understood. I'm saying CCSB is what everyone is buying. GM is in the business of selling. If you want more flexibility, they'll gladly sell you a Silverado (which was probably intentional). ;)
Excellent point! If GM isn't selling a particular configuration, it is because people aren't buying it. GM isn't going to leave a segment uncovered if they could make money off of it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
GM did a good job with the current Colorado/Canyon platform, so if its not broken leave it alone and just make improvements to stay ahead of the pack, which is what it sounds like GM did in this case.
That's likely true, it was also a cost cutting measure as they attempt to expedite transition to EVs. Glad the platform was already solid and didn't need a major update to remain competitive.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,553 Posts

Dad has a Canyon.

My dad downsized from a Ford F 250 Super Duty Extended cab to a Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab a couple of years ago now. Then went so far as to put a tool box in the bed as well (one of those bed wide, expanded metal look lockable ones) besides also getting rid of his Nissan Xterra. He is still able to haul things and has a bed rack he can put on for longer things if needs be. It works out just fine.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Again, stop trolling these threads. You've made your point clear a hundred times at this point. Don't buy the truck if it doesn't fit your needs.

Final warning.
Who is saying anything about regular cab long beds this is about crew cabs with vestigial beds.
I don't want to cause an issue and fuel a troll or anything, but legitimately wondering what exactly it is that can't fit in a 5.2' bed often enough to be a hindrance? I get it, if you're a tradesmen I probably wouldn't want to haul 4x8 with about 3' hanging over the tailgate using ratchet straps every day, but other than that?

I've hauled in mine:
1 yard mulch
Sofas
Water heaters
Boiler
Couple full size fridges
Old school 55" projection TV
Plenty o' lumber

When I was buying one I really just wanted a workhorse/winter beater so I debated about just getting an ECLB and letting the kids tough it out in the back when needed, but the price was barely any different and another ~1' of bed length really didn't make much difference in the grand scheme, so the CC has proven much more practical.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
That's likely true, it was also a cost cutting measure as they attempt to expedite transition to EVs. Glad the platform was already solid and didn't need a major update to remain competitive.
Yeah I don't think it needed a major re-engineering. The existing platform with an upgraded interior and going to the 2.7T should be really good for the market. Only complaint is I'd have liked to see the 10 speed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts