GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man oh man.. no babies for sale thankfully.. but…

Well, it seems to be a Camaro ZL1 or its evil twin, the ZL1 1LE. Those two beasts have been around almost completely unchanged (save for some tail light modifications) since their respective debuts a few years back, but it looks like Chevy wants to send the sixth-gen Camaro out with a Cadillac Blackwing-powered bang. According to a source deep inside GM, the Camaro ZL1 (and likely the higher-downforce, more track-focused ZL1 1LE) will be getting some Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing-inspired goodies for their last two model years.
The CT5-V Blackwing came screaming out of the gates with a 668-hp version of GM's supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8 engine, the latest generation of GM's MagneRide suspension tech, and the option for Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors. These are all performance-enhancing goodies that Chevy's ZL1 duo doesn't have (well, the ZL1 currently uses a 650-hp version of the LT4, but you get the point). While full details of the changes are still pretty vague, a spec bump for the Camaro's final two years makes sense to us.

Don’t know man, but a lung or two from me, I need one….

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
SWEET. Even with the spoiler type that I don't particularly care for. I'm sort of glad they are spreading some of this tech to worthy products, but at the same time I do sort of pine for some Cadillac exclusivity too in such things.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I was hoping for a surprise z28...but it'll probably be a refresh of the ZL1 to bring it in line w/ the post 2018 refreshes to go along w/ the LT4 upgrades that the BWs received. Remember the ZL1 still wears design elements from the original gen 6 Camaro.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was really hoping when I saw the spy shots that it would end up with a flavor of the 755 hp LT5, to really send it out with a bang and better compete with GT500 and Hellcat, but I guess a bump from 650 to 668 using the most recent tune LT4 in the CT5-V-BW would be a welcome and more straight forward upgrade. Updating to the latest gen MRC is sweet too.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That's pretty sweet if GM does that. I bet there isn't a strong financial case to do this - I'd say they are doing it for the fans.
Perhaps they're doing it to limit engine variants. Why make both the LT4 and LT5 when the newer and more powerful LT5 will suffice? Also, it gives LT4 owners the itch to upgrade to the LT5 for one last new ZL1 Camaro purchase.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Perhaps they're doing it to limit engine variants. Why make both the LT4 and LT5 when the newer and more powerful LT5 will suffice? Also, it gives LT4 owners the itch to upgrade to the LT5 for one last new ZL1 Camaro purchase.
True - doesn't make sense to have multiple versions of one engine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Was watching a twitch streamer last night who does weekly drag strip streams from Texas and last night one of these almost took a large bite out of the wall. Got loose on take off got it back under control, went another 100 feet and kicked the backend out again and was literally another tap of the brakes away from it turning right into the wall.

They need to give driver lessons it seems with the purchase of one of these cars haha, it is amusing to see people with crazy expensive cars who cant drive them for jack s#@#.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Nah...I don't think people can't drive them for ****...**** just happens sometimes, it happens to all of us at some point or another. Happened to me in the desert a few years back...under hard acceleration, I must've rolled through a thin patch of sand...luckily I was the only car on the road, didn't even scratch it. After I got it sorted out, looked around to see if anyone saw it, then went about my business like it didn't happen

1 - 20 of 41 Posts