GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Cadillac unveiled the Lyriq in production guise back in April and it wasn’t until yesterday, September 18, when the reservation process for the luxury electric SUV started. Early adopters have exhibited great interest in getting behind the wheel of the posh EV as the Debut Edition was sold out in a matter of minutes. Even though the reservations are now full, more vehicles will be made available through dealers starting next summer.

Those who have signed up to get the Lyriq Debut Edition have agreed to make a $100 refundable deposit and will have their orders verified from December 2021. They’re in for a long wait as production of the electric SUV won’t kick off before the end of Q1 2022. It’s worth noting the Debut Edition comes exclusively with a rear-wheel-drive layout as production of the AWD variant is scheduled to commence late next year, with customer deliveries earmarked for the beginning of 2023.

2023 Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition sold out in minutes (evglobe.com)

·
Premium Member
36,199 Posts
Glad I got my order in early! Offering free rides to Official GMI Members!

·
Registered
303 Posts
What does that mean, 1000 orders, 5000 orders, that’s peanuts. 50k to 75k the first year, that would be impressive.
The scuttlebutt was 1500 Debut Editions.

50k to 70k Lyriqs mean 5GWh to 7.5GWh of Ultium battery cells.

Zero chance they can manufacture that many next year.

We will have news when GM/LG JV battery factory in Ohio is up and running.

Then they have to ramp up to 30GWh over 1.5-2 years.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there, but.................

With the complete lack of inventory at dealerships, if GM opened up reservations for ANY NEW VEHICLE right now, EV, ICE or Hybrid, wouldn't it "sell out in minutes" especially with initial volume, so low as it is in this case?

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,366 Posts
The scuttlebutt was 1500 Debut Editions.

50k to 70k Lyriqs mean 5GWh to 7.5GWh of Ultium battery cells.

Zero chance they can manufacture that many next year.

We will have news when GM/LG JV battery factory in Ohio is up and running.

Then they have to ramp up to 30GWh over 1.5-2 years.
There's talk of 70GWh/year from both GM/LG plants in Ohio/Tennessee "by the end of 2023". Assuming everything goes without a hitch of course. C&D estimates that's enough for around 750K vehicles:

Let's see, what Ultium vehicles are announced for release by 2023:

GMC Hummer
Lyriq
Silverado EV
Brighdrop vans
maybe a Sierra EV?
did I miss anything?

Lots more coming later. Maybe an Escalade EV in 2023, I assume as a MY2024:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
GM better hope that the semiconductor problem gets worked out or we won't be seeing much of anything next year.

Reactions: jzchev28

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,373 Posts
With the complete lack of inventory at dealerships, if GM opened up reservations for ANY NEW VEHICLE right now, EV, ICE or Hybrid, wouldn't it "sell out in minutes" especially with initial volume, so low as it is in this case?
Right?!

GM better hope that the semiconductor problem gets worked out or we won't be seeing much of anything next year.
Absolutely.

Thankfully I don't need a car anytime soon - some stores are over MSRP now, ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Absolutely.

Thankfully I don't need a car anytime soon - some stores are over MSRP now, ridiculous.
There were only 2 dealerships in my 50 mile radius doing this. One was adding $1000 safety equipment (window tint and blinking 3rd taillight) while the other was putting $25k "Luxury Lift" package on most trucks - 6" lift and Tire package with some other comedic things. I made sure to avoid them. Good thing I had maybe 10 dealerships to chose from.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Dealer by me had $3K 'market adjustment' on a $33K Sierra, and a $5K M.A. on a Yukon last month.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Dealers suck...I read an article the other day that some Ford dealers are holding Broncos hostage w/ 10k markups after the initial order was placed. Folks waited a year after putting in a deposit, then once the car showed up at the dealer, they put a 10k market adjustment on it. - That ****ing sucks.

My local Ford dealer put a 3k markup on Mach E orders, the one 25mi away took orders w/o a markup, guess which one I'm dealing with.

All in all, it's just the world we live in right now, for some odd reason, people are clamoring for cars in a market that isn't favorable to buyers....we can complain about markups all we want but if someone is willing to pay it, there's no reason for dealers to stop having them. My take, my .02, if you don't NEED to buy a car right now...DONT!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
There's talk of 70GWh/year from both GM/LG plants in Ohio/Tennessee "by the end of 2023". Assuming everything goes without a hitch of course. C&D estimates that's enough for around 750K vehicles:

GM broke ground in Lordstown Ohio in May 2020 for their new battery factory.

The building is almost finished but not completely.

They have yet to install equipment.

GM has not broken ground in Spring HIll Tennessee yet.

A run rate of 70 GWh/year in 12/23 would be impressive. And highly unlikely.

5+ GWh produced in 2022 is not happening.

LG just figured out how to eliminate the manufacturing defects in the Bolt cells.

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Let's see, what Ultium vehicles are announced for release by 2023:

GMC Hummer
Lyriq
Silverado EV
Brighdrop vans
maybe a Sierra EV?
did I miss anything?

Lots more coming later. Maybe an Escalade EV in 2023, I assume as a MY2024:

The problem with this plan is the gutting of Gm propulsion organization. It’s going to be very expensive to rebuild it when the dream unravels

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
ICE motors are done at GM, they're all in on EVs...if it fails, GM goes into liquidation....there isn't going to be some, "oh ****, our EVs suck, we need to go back to ICE" moment. if it fails the company fails, that's the sucky part of this gambit.

They really should've kept a backup plan and continued ICE development...the GM trucks are screaming for a 5.3 replacement in the form of some sort of turboed 3.6...but we got is refreshed powertrains across the board. The full size SUVs will hold serve because they own the segment, but they're a couple of breakthrough products from the comp away from being in trouble...the new Tundra is a shot across the bow, I don't know if Ram has anything new in store, and the Ford Hybrid and Lighting are compelling products to keep their lead in the segment.

GM just isn't showing any ability to innovate in ICE anymore, and it kind of sucks.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
^^^GM's been building the small block V8 for nearly 70 years, ever improving upon it. If they have to stretch the final iteration a few extra years, they'll still survive. The simplest mousetrap always survives.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts