GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
20,733 Posts
What... you don't think an Escalade EV with 1000 HP would be worth purchasing??
I'm sure there are a ton of people who would disagree!
I was thinking about that when I wrote my last comment about their appropriately applying the Blackwing moniker to it. I keep thinking of the Hummer EV and the blast the reviewers seem to have driving it. But now give it sports suspension with those low center of gravity batteries and the handling might be pretty decent - I'd be very interested in that Escalade EV!

·
Registered
20,733 Posts
About three times more expensive than the most basic Chevy Tahoe on which it's based.

Profit margin should be huge.
Nice to see GM figuring out how to do that! They used to not be so good at differentiating a Chevy from a Cadillac. 20 years ago people would've laughed - I'm thinking no laughter at this $150k Cadillac and a line of people to buy it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice to see GM figuring out how to do that! They used to not be so good at differentiating a Chevy from a Cadillac. 20 years ago people would've laughed - I'm thinking no laughter at this $150k Cadillac and a line of people to buy it!
I don't understand the appeal for such a large vehicle, even less for a sport version. But if GM can squeeze a couple of millions out of it, good for them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
About three times more expensive than the most basic Chevy Tahoe on which it's based.

Profit margin should be huge.
Yup. Let me add up the window stickers on my last two 2022 GMCs and add the third one due in June… 39,685 (Terrain Denali) + 63,695 (Yukon SLT) + 64,595 (Sierra Denali) = $167,975. So for a mere 17K more I got three new nice vehicles. This is a vehicle for the top 5 percent of folks that is for sure. Like I said I will take the 3 new GMs anyday. Literally you can have two Yukon Denalis for one V.

However what an awesome beast this is.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Not sure it's so much the tune as it is a larger supercharger.
Absolutely. That’s a much better description of reason for the higher power output over the LT4. Considering the LT4 was based on the previous generation engine wonder what designation GM has for this engine and the CT5V engine?

·
Registered
20,733 Posts
I don't understand the appeal for such a large vehicle, even less for a sport version. But if GM can squeeze a couple of millions out of it, good for them.
I agree - "sport" and "huge SUV" is an oxymoron to me. I certainly hope I'm not on a winding back road and see someone trying to pull a 1.0 lat g in an Escalade from the other direction :D As I said above, I'm glad they didn't put a Blackwing name to this V. The Escalade is simply to big to be a Blackwing V.

However, I do get wanting a big engine in something like the Escalade. To me the Escalade is the modern version of the old, massive cars of 50+ years ago - Cadillac Brougham, etc.- people liked their big V8's in those too.

As you said - if people want to buy them, then build 'em!

Even though it doesn't make sense to me, I still think the Escalade V is cool!

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,707 Posts
They bought the Escalade,because deep down inside their inner Soocer Mom is crying out for an SUV that will make mall parking lots envious of their standing in life.
To really make everyone envious, you gotta crab walk a HUMMER across that lot.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It's an OK price point. I still think Escalade can push that further, given the competition.
I think the Escalade would have to be built on its own platform to command a $200k price. As or right now, its built on a Tahoe model that started at $50k....so at $200k that $150k in options. GM sells that basic engine as a crate engine for $17k....big brakes are another $7kish.....fancy stereo system with 36 speakers is maybe $3500? Obviously there's more than just those additional items, Super Cruise, etc...but I think its a stretch to sell that vehicle at $200k as is. But in todays market, anything is possible....some people have more money then sense.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think the Escalade would have to be built on its own platform to command a $200k price. As or right now, its built on a Tahoe model that started at $50k....so at $200k that $150k in options. GM sells that basic engine as a crate engine for $17k....big brakes are another $7kish.....fancy stereo system with 36 speakers is maybe $3500? Obviously there's more than just those additional items, Super Cruise, etc...but I think its a stretch to sell that vehicle at $200k as is. But in todays market, anything is possible....some people have more money then sense.
Since when can you just add up the cost of parts and decide that's the increase in value? Not the way the luxury auto market works at all.

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
A We’ll put together $200K Escalade is within the Ream of possible still on this Family of vehicle, or platform.
It would still be a lot better value (lol, value at $200K for a horseless carriage) than a G Wagen.

First, Stuff a V12 or Blackwing motor in there or perhaps a Corvette Eray drivetrain tuned for Escalade.. Obviously, Interior enhancement, like wood floors, and trunk..

then Ultra Cruise and AWS or Crabwalk feature…or some other bag of trickery from GM’s bag of tricks..…

Then you can give it a factory two tone paint yob and err.. say 24 inch wheels from the electric Silverado…

And since it’s an Escalade, give it a topographical map of downtown Manhattan or perhaps offer Custom topography for customers, no, no.. these are clients now…

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't believe the price. The starting price literally cost more than what I paid for my house in 2009. Figure in inflation, I guess the V is right on target. Being in So-Cal, I'll be seeing these on the road soon. Probably a family with 1 child...or maybe just a ride for 1 person.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Perhaps this engine tune is coming to a 2023/2024 Camaro ZL1? Does this engine have a designation/nomenclature?
I wondered the same thing. Seems like it's using the LT5 supercharger, but the call out to CT5-VBW and power ratings point to being an LT4. So does it get a new designation or is it some strange hybrid between LT4 and LT5, or just a "detuned" LT5 basically, since the difference between LT5 and LT4 is mostly the larger SC iirc.

Since it has the larger SC it does seem unlikely they'd push it to the ZL1 like they could a calibration on the same hardware. The CTS-V2 never got the G5 ZL1 bump to 580 HP either... I always hoped they'd just throw an LT5 in those in some way as a Camaro swan song...

Reactions: smith7629
41 - 60 of 63 Posts