GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I'd buy a Lucid over any other of the EV sedans out there. Its closest to what I would want in a car, although I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller version w/similar specs and design.

Was there really much competition this year? There were a lot of good SUV's that debuted, but I can't really think of any sedans outside of EQS that I even paid attention to.
Blackwing?

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Seems like it can be bought to me
Yup, the Grand Touring trim of Lucid Air (which is what MT tested for COTY) is available for ordering now. Dream Edition is sold out; prospective customers interested in that version will have to join a waitlist.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I don't have a problem with MT picking Lucid for COTY, I think these electric cars are some awesome technology, but I thought they had to have a certain amount of volume to be in consideration? Or did something change?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Blackwing?
Great car, but does it move the needle in any way over the segment? I mean, to me its just Cadillac's M5. Plus its basically a one off, before they move to EV's, so who cares? If it was Celestiq, then that's be something, but it already looks like that has been trumped in range/performance/price by Lucid and to market by EQS. So consider me underwhelmed.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Hope the lucid can be driven and used as a daily driver.. Hope lucid has a long history of success

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yes. I believe it was 5000 production units.
The criteria has changed over the years. It started changing after the "controversy" after the Caprice won COTY.
Back then, there were still separate "Car of the Year" and "Import Car of the Year." The Caprice won because it was the "best" of a pretty bad crowd. The real action, if I recall, was on the "import" side, as it often was in those days.

·
Premium Member
35,133 Posts
Estimated top speed of 217 miles per hour. With what tires and what brakes? That is faster than the CT5 V Blackwing 206 and Plaid 200. It’s a brick, so I doubt it would be taking flight, so there might be no need to generate downforce, however, trying to stop a car this heavy without proper breaking with anything above 100 MPH might quickly become a nightmare.

I would want to see one of their engineers with big bolls push it to 200 MPH and keep it there for a while before I took it beyond 80 MPH…

Its one thing to make speed, it’s another to control a Nile Pyramid brick at speed

·
Registered
870 Posts
Lol shows what i know, never even heard of this car before and it is winning car of the year awards! :ROFLMAO:

As someone said on the first page they now give away nobel peace prizes for essentially nothing it seems, so i guess this is not really a stretch either.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
As someone said on the first page they now give away nobel peace prizes for essentially nothing it seems, so i guess this is not really a stretch either.
You're not alone in that sentiment, Bigdog. The Autoextremist wrote about this (meaningless "awards") a few years ago. To a certain extent, Motor Trend COTY fits this bill.

STEP RIGHT UP, FOLKS, EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY!

Autoextremist said:
Look, I get the fact that America has become a go-along-to-get-along society, a dismal dance of mediocrity masquerading as “culture” where everybody makes the team and nobody actually loses a game. And I get that everyone is expected to get treats, a trophy and a hug for being wonderful and special in their own right. And I get the fact that the current climate rewards the entitled and coddled just for showing up, but the plethora of automotive “awards” is a complete travesty devoid of substance and it has been a recurring joke for a long, long time. Consumers, whether they’re committed enthusiasts or even the most mundane appliance shoppers, can see right through this charade and need much more than that.
I realize that execs at every manufacturer are in love with their own fabulosity, but this infatuation, check that, this obsession with being rewarded for just showing up is nothing more than an insult to the business, and to the consumers they’re courting.
And it needs to stop.

Reactions: 1958carnut
41 - 54 of 54 Posts