GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I have a number of friends with Range Rovers. None have had significant mechanical issues. Now, there's electronic gremlins in the infotainment screen, which has been the problem for some time. But it's supposed to have been fixed with the current version. Time will tell though.
Expensive to repair? No more than any BMW or Mercedes or Audi really.

Now, if you have a diesel version... goooooooood luck. Thankfully, those aren't sold in the US. lol
This is 10 or so years ago, back when Rover was almost always bringing up the bottom of the quality lists. I had a friend with one, more than once I passed her broken down on the side of the highway (we worked for the same company). She loved her RR though!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
It makes 100% perfect sense for Lucid to open Studios and service centers in these areas to start.
+1
Agreed. Lucid Motors' current Studio locations cover all of the "Big 4" metro areas in the U.S. teeming with the country's wealthiest and most powerful elites: New York City; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles, and San Francisco/San Jose.

They also have a few secondary regions for the rich in the U.S. (Chicago, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego) and one in Canada (Vancouver). The site selection committee at Lucid Motors chose well for their initial roster of Studio locations.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
They also have a few secondary regions for the rich in the U.S. (Chicago, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego) and one in Canada (Vancouver). The site selection committee at Lucid Motors chose well for their initial roster of Studio locations.
Chicago works for me. There are a number of brands that they sell there but not here.
Oddly enough, Alfa Romeo is not one of them. But Infiniti, Genesis and Acura are.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
This is 10 or so years ago, back when Rover was almost always bringing up the bottom of the quality lists. I had a friend with one, more than once I passed her broken down on the side of the highway (we worked for the same company). She loved her RR though!
Well, Range Rover is generally in the bottom 10. But if you dig into the more recent numbers it's all largely tied to the infotainment system glitches and the diesel. Which tracks with my friends' experience with the brand. These RR's aren't older than 3 years old, so it's fairly recent.

Tho, I think for initial quality, Land Rover is well ahead of Tesla, Alfa, Volvo, Chrysler, and I think Audi as well. I'd have to go dig up the latest report. So.... progress is being made.
But the reputation is one that is very hard to shake.... that's 100% for certain.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
+1
Agreed. Lucid Motors' current Studio locations cover all of the "Big 4" metro areas in the U.S. teeming with the country's wealthiest and most powerful elites: New York City; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles, and San Francisco/San Jose.

It does make sense to open up in these locations to start, especially with a high dollar product.
You hit the target demographic and work your way to the next tier. And so on...

They have to be diligent and smart opening these Studios. THey're still a very small operation and probably can't really afford to waste too much capital on Studio expansion. They just need to find the balance that works best.
And then they have to consider locations where there is a "pro-dealership sentiment" which would prevent Lucid from opening up a Studio.

There's a whole lot of stupidity about to happen in Texas with Teslas being built in Texas not being able to be "sold" in Texas.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
There's a whole lot of stupidity about to happen in Texas with Teslas being built in Texas not being able to be "sold" in Texas.
Tesla operates "Galleries" in the Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Dallas-Fort Worth, El Paso, Houston, San Antonio, and Tyler areas. But unlike Tesla "stores" in other states, these facilities are not permitted to sell or deliver vehicles as you mentioned.

Lucid has plans to open a Studio in Dallas and a Service Center in Houston, both in early 2022.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lucid, in their investor roadshow, said after the Air based Gravity SUV they will make a direct competitor to the Model 3 and Model Y.

By end of decade they will make a pickup. They are not directly targeting Cybertruck.

The Lincoln Blackwood and Escalade Ext were failures.

In large part because they did not want to step on toes of F-Series Kings Ranch and Sierra Denalis. And in the Blackwood's case showing us beautiful real wood in the prototype and giving us stickers in real life. In Cadillac's case winglets crippling the function of the truck bed.

Until very recently Mercedes sold a rebadged Nissan Frontier in Europe. It had very moderate success but then again so do pickups in Europe.

IF Lucid develops a reputation for ultra quiet refined, luxurious vehicles how does that jive with a premium priced pickup like a Kings Ranch, Denali, or High Country?

In sum, Lucid is not trying to replicate an electric Jaguar/Maserati or even Mercedes. If you want to be a player in North America you need a full size pickup eventually.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Well, Range Rover is generally in the bottom 10. But if you dig into the more recent numbers it's all largely tied to the infotainment system glitches and the diesel. Which tracks with my friends' experience with the brand. These RR's aren't older than 3 years old, so it's fairly recent.

Tho, I think for initial quality, Land Rover is well ahead of Tesla, Alfa, Volvo, Chrysler, and I think Audi as well. I'd have to go dig up the latest report. So.... progress is being made.
But the reputation is one that is very hard to shake.... that's 100% for certain.
Yes - they are definitely higher up in the ranking vs. 10 years ago.

Though my point is RR owners didn't care - RR hit the mark strongly enough to get people past the problems. I was bringing it up simply as a point that bad quality won't necessarily doom a brand if they do enough other things right,

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Lucid, in their investor roadshow, said after the Air based Gravity SUV they will make a direct competitor to the Model 3 and Model Y.
Yeah. I've seen the roadshow.
I'll keep stressing here that Lucid doesn't see themselves as a Tesla competitor. Their aim is Mercedes-Benz. So, after the Gravity, their target will be C-Class and GLC-Class (and their EQ equivalent).
A truck might be planned, but I honestly don't see much in the way of high-end luxury trucks. But I guess that all depends on what they see as the market size and opportunity here.

The Lincoln Blackwood and Escalade Ext were failures.

In large part because they did not want to step on toes of F-Series Kings Ranch and Sierra Denalis. And in the Blackwood's case showing us beautiful real wood in the prototype and giving us stickers in real life. In Cadillac's case winglets crippling the function of the truck bed.
Again, that all depends on the market size and opportunity Lucid sees. I don't think it's all that large, personally. And the truck would potentially be pricier than a King Ranch or Sierra Denali anyways.

Until very recently Mercedes sold a rebadged Nissan Frontier in Europe. It had very moderate success but then again so do pickups in Europe.

IF Lucid develops a reputation for ultra quiet refined, luxurious vehicles how does that jive with a premium priced pickup like a Kings Ranch, Denali, or High Country?
X-Class was pretty nice, I thought. I had a chance to sit in one when I was in Stuttgart. But I didn't think it would be all that popular. I went to the Christmasmarkets there, hence the holiday photo. LOL

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

In sum, Lucid is not trying to replicate an electric Jaguar/Maserati or even Mercedes. If you want to be a player in North America you need a full size pickup eventually.
Lucid is evolving into their own.
They are specifically a luxury EV automaker. They've spent their initial time developing their technology and motors for Formula-E.
But their target is specially Mercedes-Benz -- the luxury auto leader and definer of the luxury auto market.
That's how you earn your right to compete in the luxury market.
But that's why I don't believe Lucid needs a truck — at least right away. I don't believe that market exists. And if Lucid believes it does, I'd rather see them come out with e a C-GLC-Class competitor plus a coupe or convertible BEFORE a truck.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
I'd rather see them come out with e a C-GLC-Class competitor plus a coupe or convertible BEFORE a truck.
Me too, because a AWD Lucid C-Vertible is the car I would want to buy.
I used to own one of them other C-Classes.

There was a ELR convertible that never happened. Wanted it.
Well, maybe these guys can make it happen.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I wonder why Boston isn't one of their chosen sites.
Lucid has plans to open a studio in Boston's Seaport district next year, along with one on Long Island at The Gate of Manhasset around the same time.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
While I am not familiar with this vehicle directly, from all that I have read, there seems to be no other deserving vehicle this model year.

Congratulations to all those responsible (for) Lucid!
Thank you! 😉

I wonder why Boston isn't one of their chosen sites. A lot of wealth in the area and techy too - I'd think a combination that would do well for Lucid.
Seems to be very limited outside of California, but I'm sure they focused on areas Tesla and other high-end EV models see strong sales and registrations.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Thank you! 😉

Seems to be very limited outside of California, but I'm sure they focused on areas Tesla and other high-end EV models see strong sales and registrations.
agreed - they are definitely lightly dipping their toes into the waters. Wouldn't surprise me if they are keeping things small to start on purpose to test out their production systems without overtaxing it and need a bunch of tents like Tesla.

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
agreed - they are definitely lightly dipping their toes into the waters. Wouldn't surprise me if they are keeping things small to start on purpose to test out their production systems without overtaxing it and need a bunch of tents like Tesla.
There isn't a rush; Lucid is only slated to make 20,000 cars in 2022 and the majority of EV's are still sold in California, so focusing there makes a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
[/QUOTE]Lucid has plans to open a studio in Boston's Seaport district next year, along with one on Long Island at The Gate of Manhasset around the same time. [/QUOTE]

And that (Manhasset) from what I see, will be three doors down from another EV retailer by the name of "Tesla".

Perhaps the start of a trend?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I'd buy a Lucid over any other of the EV sedans out there. Its closest to what I would want in a car, although I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller version w/similar specs and design.

Was there really much competition this year? There were a lot of good SUV's that debuted, but I can't really think of any sedans outside of EQS that I even paid attention to.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts