1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend
November 15, 2021

The Lucid Air Is the 2022 MotorTrend Car of the Year
Once again, a high-performing, long-range, game-changing electric sedan from a California startup earns our Golden Calipers.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Grille

Automotive progress usually happens in baby steps. Slowly, like a white oak sapling growing in a forest. But every now and then a new car jumps off the automotive forest floor like a rainbow eucalyptus, advancing like crazy while making a colorful splash. The Air sedan from startup EV-maker Lucid is just such a car, and its level of innovation and sophistication are as fresh and unexpected as multicolored tree bark.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
It seems to me IIRC that MT COTY has been given out to a number of ne'er do wells over the years too.
10 Worst Cars To Receive The Car Of The Year Award (hotcars.com)

Hey, check out #6!!
They never actually say why it's bad other than they don't like the name and it didn't sell.

The reality is that it is actually good.
There are a bunch of reasons why it didn't sell that have nothing to do with the actual car, namely...
1) The name. Obvious.
2) Who sold it. White belt, white shoe, leisure suit wearin' Lincoln sales guy that only wanted to sell Townies.
3) Exchange rate. They got very expensive at the worst possible time.

Nah, way to subjective, that would relegate the award to only the cheapest car as what is affordable to you might be unaffordable to someone else.

While the Lucid is out of my price range, I think it's pretty sweet! Good for them!
Criteria is "value relative to similar products", not being cheap.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
It seems to me IIRC that MT COTY has been given out to a number of ne'er do wells over the years too.
+1
Whether Lucid Air is considered one of those ne'er do wells will be based on whether the company is able to address the numerous quality glitches that Motor Trend experienced when testing their pre-production Air Touring for COTY. MT's test car experienced malfunctions with the audio system, ADAS functions like Lane Keeping Assist/Highway Assist, door handles, frunk, infotainment system, and several others.

As a result of these "many wonky quirks", some of the MT judges expressed concerns about adding Lucid Air to MT's pantheon of vehicular grandees:
Motor Trend said:
"Many judges expressed dire concern that if Lucid fails to rectify the many wonky quirks our prototype suffered, the brand and car could go down in history as a 21st century Tucker or Chevy Vega."
Ultimately though, the judges still decided to award Lucid Air 2022 COTY.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Nah, way to subjective, that would relegate the award to only the cheapest car as what is affordable to you might be unaffordable to someone else.

While the Lucid is out of my price range, I think it's pretty sweet! Good for them!
+1
Whether Lucid Air is considered one of those ne'er do wells will be based on whether the company is able to address the numerous quality glitches that Motor Trend experienced when testing their pre-production Air Touring for COTY. MT's test car experienced malfunctions with the audio system, ADAS functions like Lane Keeping Assist/Highway Assist, door handles, frunk, infotainment system, and several others.

As a result of these "many wonky quirks", some of the MT judges expressed concerns about adding Lucid Air to MT's pantheon of vehicular grandees:

Ultimately though, the judges still decided to award Lucid Air the 2022 COTY award.
Don't buy the first year applies to everyone.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say your average Lucid Dream buyer isn't a one car guy. Probably not going to be carless.
But the real question is how do they deal with issues.
"We will be there promptly with another new Lucid, sir (or madam)" is the correct answer.
Kind of like Rolls saying "Our cars do not have issues, sir." The slightest post- (non) issue inconvenience is not permitted.

Question #2... can they at least put body panels on straight? Tesla still can't do that after all of these years.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Couldn't buy one if I tried - MT car of the year should be a car people can readily buy IMO.

Yeah. Only the base Lucid Air is in my price range. (Technically, the second lowest also is, but I really don't want to spend that much on a car.)

But there is a market for cars like this. I'm glad that America FINALLY has an adequate competitor to S-Class and EQS, even if it couldn't come from Cadillac or Lincoln.
It's not high volume to be sure. But that's the market Lucid is targeting — at least at first. And I'm 100% fine with that.

I hope to visit a Lucid Studio soon, as one near me is finally open.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,385 Posts
Yeah. Only the base Lucid Air is in my price range. (Technically, the second lowest also is, but I really don't want to spend that much on a car.)

But there is a market for cars like this. I'm glad that America FINALLY has an adequate competitor to S-Class and EQS, even if it couldn't come from Cadillac or Lincoln.
It's not high volume to be sure. But that's the market Lucid is targeting — at least at first. And I'm 100% fine with that.

No "studio" near me - in fact there is only one is Canada so far.

I doubt they have any inventory to sell is more what I mean. Stupid pick but EVs are probably what they will pick all the time now. 🙄🙄

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
No "studio" near me - in fact there is only one is Canada so far.

I doubt they have any inventory to sell is more what I mean. Stupid pick but EVs are probably what they will pick all the time now. 🙄🙄
There is no "inventory" per se.
I mean, deliveries only started 1-2 weeks ago. There's 13-15,000 pre-orders already. And they're currently fulfilling the 520 or so Dream Editions at ~$170,000 each.

Lucid's branding and marketing point to luxury-only brand and lineup. Their demographic targeting is that of wealthy individuals. They are specifically targeting this niche. It's a bold decision. But right now, their only competitor is the EQS, as well as tangential competition from CLS/S-Class, 7-series, and A8.

I don't think it's a stupid pick at all.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Yeah. Only the base Lucid Air is in my price range
You don't live where it snows, so you should be fine.
A batch got delivered to Chicago. Obviously AWD, all Dreams are.

No need to be near any showroom except to check one out. They home deliver.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Don't buy the first year applies to everyone.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say your average Lucid Dream buyer isn't a one car guy. Probably not going to be carless.
But the real question is how do they deal with issues.
"We will be there promptly with another new Lucid, sir (or madam)" is the correct answer.
Kind of like Rolls saying "Our cars do not have issues, sir." The slightest post- (non) issue inconvenience is not permitted.

Question #2... can they at least put body panels on straight? Tesla still can't do that after all of these years.
There is always the "Range Rover Effect", I recall reading that Range Rover owners loved their vehicles so much they didn't mind them constantly breaking down. That was awhile ago, I think Range Rover has better quality now - before I start off a war :D

Hopefully they figure out their issues, I'd love to see an American brand that can take on the world. I can't wait for Lucid vs. Celestiq!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,104 Posts
Here is a list of Lucid Studio locations currently open or expected to open by the end of this year. All appear to be havens for rich ass folks.
  • Scottsdale, Arizona - Scottsdale Fashion Square
  • Beverly Hills, California
  • Los Angeles, California - Westfield Century City
  • Millbrae, California
  • Newark, California - Lucid Corporate HQ
  • Newport Beach, California - Fashion Island
  • San Diego, California - Westfield University Town Center
  • San Jose, California - Westfield Valley Fair
  • Miami, Florida - Brickell City Centre
  • West Palm Beach, Florida - The Square
  • Oak Brook, Illinois - Oakbrook Center
  • New York City - Meatpacking District
  • Washington, DC area in Northern Virginia - Tysons Corner Center
  • Vancouver, BC, Canada - Pacific Centre

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
There is always the "Range Rover Effect", I recall reading that Range Rover owners loved their vehicles so much they didn't mind them constantly breaking down. That was awhile ago, I think Range Rover has better quality now - before I start off a war :D
I have a number of friends with Range Rovers. None have had significant mechanical issues. Now, there's electronic gremlins in the infotainment screen, which has been the problem for some time. But it's supposed to have been fixed with the current version. Time will tell though.
Expensive to repair? No more than any BMW or Mercedes or Audi really.

Now, if you have a diesel version... goooooooood luck. Thankfully, those aren't sold in the US. lol

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Here is a list of Lucid Studio locations currently open or expected to open by the end of this year. All appear to be havens for rich ass folks.
  • Scottsdale, Arizona - Scottsdale Fashion Square
  • Beverly Hills, California
  • Los Angeles, California - Westfield Century City
  • Millbrae, California
  • Newark, California - Lucid Corporate HQ
  • Newport Beach, California - Fashion Island
  • San Diego, California - Westfield University Town Center
  • San Jose, California - Westfield Valley Fair
  • Miami, Florida - Brickell City Centre
  • West Palm Beach, Florida - The Square
  • Oak Brook, Illinois - Oakbrook Center
  • New York City - Meatpacking District
  • Washington, DC area in Northern Virginia - Tysons Corner Center
  • Vancouver, BC, Canada - Pacific Centre

Would it actually make sense to sell a car that retails for $80-180,000 in areas where income isn't capable of sustaining any sort of sales?
It makes 100% perfect sense for Lucid to open Studios and service centers in these areas to start.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts