GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
I am glad that they are rounding some of the lines on the Navigator. After the Aviator came out, the Gator just looked too squared off.

I know this is about the Gator, but having seen a few new Escalades in the wild, I will say that the front is pretty bad. It "looks" so tall and narrow, and all of the designs in the front just make that impression worse. The rest of it is fine.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I am glad that they are rounding some of the lines on the Navigator. After the Aviator came out, the Gator just looked too squared off.

I know this is about the Gator, but having seen a few new Escalades in the wild, I will say that the front is pretty bad. It "looks" so tall and narrow, and all of the designs in the front just make that impression worse. The rest of it is fine.
I remember the complaints about the loss 3G CTS losing it's aggresive looks, the Escalade really went soft with this generation appearance wise. It's somewhat understandable though considering what a home run the last gen Escalade was in terms of exterior design. I wouldn't have wanted to be the guy tasked with designing it's replacement, nowhere to go but down IMO!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I remember the complaints about the loss 3G CTS losing it's aggresive looks, the Escalade really went soft with this generation appearance wise. It's somewhat understandable though considering what a home run the last gen Escalade was in terms of exterior design. I wouldn't have wanted to be the guy tasked with designing it's replacement, nowhere to go but down IMO!
The last gen Escalade was a home run in exterior design?! I thought the last gen was one of the worst! As I've said in an earlier post, I have a hard time differentiating the 4th gen Escalade from a Tahoe sometimes....To me the 4th gen was such a weak design.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The last gen Escalade was a home run in exterior design?! I thought the last gen was one of the worst! As I've said in an earlier post, I have a hard time differentiating the 4th gen Escalade from a Tahoe sometimes....To me the 4th gen was such a weak design.
The last gen was the best...if you're looking for the worst look no further than gen 3...Woof:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I said exterior.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The last gen was the best...if you're looking for the worst look no further than gen 3...Woof:

View attachment 63765
Yeah the 3rd gen was not a looker either. The 4th; while better looking than the 3rd gen was bland (to me).

The 5th is almost there,but it got saddled with that stupid Caddy front clip that is making it's rounds to other models.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
In terms of Escalade exterior styling...I take the stance of there isn't much you can do with it because of its form factor...but the 4th is by far the best looking Escalade IMO. The 5th, has this weird thing going on up front where the hood is too high and the nose is too blunt. I don't really have a problem w/ the horizontal headlights, its just the excessively upright look of the front end that's offputting. It almost looks like a Disney "Cars" character up front. Everywhere else on the exterior is fine, its just that front end that's off.

The Navigator - I'll say that this generation is the best generation of Navigator hands down. Gen 2 (Gen 3 I consider a refresh) that lasted damn near 15 years almost killed the Navigator, but this Gen 4 was a Ford/Lincoln moonshot effort.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it "soft", but rather, more refined.

In terms of Escalade exterior styling...I take the stance of there isn't much you can do with it because of its form factor...but the 4th is by far the best looking Escalade IMO. The 5th, has this weird thing going on up front where the hood is too high and the nose is too blunt. I don't really have a problem w/ the horizontal headlights, its just the excessively upright look of the front end that's offputting. It almost looks like a Disney "Cars" character up front. Everywhere else on the exterior is fine, its just that front end that's off.

The Navigator - I'll say that this generation is the best generation of Navigator hands down. Gen 2 (Gen 3 I consider a refresh) that lasted damn near 15 years almost killed the Navigator, but this Gen 4 was a Ford/Lincoln moonshot effort.

Agreed here - the new GM SUVs (and really the trucks too) have the hood way too high for my liking - they just look cartoonishly high relative to the rest of the vehicle. Then to offset that, you have to make the grille and accent lights also cartoonishly large.

I've always loved the 2nd gen Navigators, and still think they look good. The current one looks good too, but I don't love some of the detailing (namely the back), which they seem to be correcting with this refresh.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Also looks like the gauge cluster is going to grow as well, spanning from the leftmost edge of what used to be wood trim all the way to the center screen
I figured they were going to try to do something to counter the Escalade's massive screens. Really interested to see how it looks in final form.

I hope cooled seats are added to the 2nd row. The MKT and Aviator had/have it has an option and somehow the Navigator has never had it.

Reactions: JTL2017

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe Lincoln's version of Blue Cruise might be called Lincoln eGlide.

As for the screen, it is wider for Sync 4A, but it does look like they kept the same assembly footprint and just redesigned the insert and filled the space with screen instead of bezels. I see they have redesigned the vents and controls a bit, but it's hard to tell proportions.

I just assumed Navigator would get the screen that debuted on the updated Nautilus, which does look wider and shorter than what is spied.

Im not sure if it is the pic perspective or what but in this new spy pics the screen seems to be bigger:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Im not sure if it is the pic perspective or what but in this new spy pics the screen seems to be bigger:
View attachment 63860

View attachment 63861

maybe this new screen is for the US and the other one for China?
I have been checking and the other screens looks like the one the use in China:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

View attachment 63765
Kinda funny how both gen 3 Navigator and Escalade are not pretty to look at. But I still think the first gen Escalade was the worst. Something about it screams lazy/cheap.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Kinda funny how both gen 3 Navigator and Escalade are not pretty to look at. But I still think the first gen Escalade was the worst. Something about it screams lazy/cheap.

I actually give gen 1 a pass...it was a < 12mo rush job because of the success of the Navigator. They probably spent more time coming up with the name "Escalade" than they did upgrading it to a Cadillac from a GMC Denali. Gen 2 is the first "Real" Escalade IMO. Being said, it still looks better than Gen 3.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)

I always get a kick out of the clashing designs on that vehicle. The molten rounded face bolted to a straight and flat body design from the 80's. The 90's saw a ton of that transitional design milieu. Zero cohesion, the worst form of automotive design. The Navigator design was 10-years younger and it all looked sharp for the time.

FWIW, the Chevy CK '88-'00 is still my favorite truck/SUV design, along with the 2004-2008 F-150. Chevy really biffed the follow-up Sierra, my least favorite truck design ever.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,345 Posts
I always get a kick out of the clashing designs on that vehicle. The molten rounded face bolted to a straight and flat body design from the 80's. The 90's saw a ton of that transitional design milieu. Zero cohesion, the worst form of automotive design. The Navigator design was 10-years younger and it all looked sharp for the time.

FWIW, the Chevy CK '88-'00 is still my favorite truck/SUV design, along with the 2004-2008 F-150. Chevy really biffed the design in 2001, my least favorite truck design ever.
The same thing goes sometimes for long in the tooth midcycle refreshes during times when styles are in flux.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The same thing goes sometimes for long in the tooth midcycle refreshes during times when styles are in flux.
Oh yeah, the 80's and 90's went through the most aggressive design change, we haven't seen an era quite like it before or since. There was even a wave of over-reaction ('96 Ford Taurus) and over-correction (2004 Chevy Malibu). Some MCE's bore witness to this rebounding. The 2007 Edge vs the 2011 Edge, straight new edge to round and organic.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts

They did so little to differentiate it from the Suburban, it's amazing it ever took off. I assume the cutouts for the grill and headlights are the same for the Escalade version vs. the Chevy.

Even to this day, with totally different sheet metal, etc., the exteriors of the Escalade/Suburbon/Yukon have a sameness about them due to the greenhouse and shared wheelbase. Hopefully the switch to BEV gives them more flexibility to change those hard points among the three, or at least do it for the Escalade. Though both the Burban and Yukon are basically luxury vehicles in their own right, I think the Escalade should have its own, distinctive profile to really set it apart and not say "I'm a Chevy wearing a tuxedo".

21 - 40 of 41 Posts