GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2022 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance revives the dormant IS F formula, bringing V8 power back to the compact luxury Japanese sport sedan for the first time since 2014 and confirming rumors of a new series of V8-powered performance (small p) cars from Lexus.

Very little surprises us these days, especially in the luxury segment, but if you'd told us a month ago that we'd be confirming a V8-powered Lexus IS and a new, all-four-cylinder lineup for the Mercedes-Benz C-Class in the same week, we'd have called you crazy. Parent company Toyota's presence in Texas may have rubbed off on Lexus, though, because after a years-long hiatus, the V8-powered IS sedan returns. That's right. A V8. In a brand-new compact sport sedan. In 2021.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I like they are using V8,and sound and that is more powerful than last IS-.F. But isn't that the same engine from RC-F (from 2014). Couldn't they squeeze 20+ hp more.
They've mentioned Mercedes C class with four cylinder but they will aim at 500+ hp with help from electric motor.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
Didn't the regular version get beaten up pretty well for its barely noticeable refresh? Sounds to me like more of the same, though, as with the Cadillac V Blackwings, the devil will be in the details, how much time did they spend on re-tuning the existing mechanicals? Did they do a credible job as Cadillac did with the CT4/5? As I said, with the regular IS, I seem to remember the refresh getting beat up for being half-hearted (though I could be wrong).

Where is the torque??? Seems like a really low torque number for a V8.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I do wish they would have done a little more for torque even if it's at the expense of a little hp because this car will be a tank.

I'm not really sure who this car is aimed at really. Maybe someone who wants a luxury car but doesn't want the poor reliability and resale of the German brands.

This car will be overpriced, underpowered and way over weight but it will still be a very nice ride.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
I do wish they would have done a little more for torque even if it's at the expense of a little hp because this car will be a tank.

I'm not really sure who this car is aimed at really. Maybe someone who wants a luxury car but doesn't want the poor reliability and resale of the German brands.

This car will be overpriced, underpowered and way over weight but it will still be a very nice ride.
I feel like Lexus has lost its way over the past decade. In the '80s and '90s Lexus was on fire. But now, they are almost never included in car comparisons and don't seem like the benchmark for anything other than quality. Quality might've been enough to sell a brand 30 years ago, but not so much anymore. They seem to have taken their focus off fully engaging the Germans to contentment in selling CUV's to soccer moms.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
The TQ rating isn't that much of a problem given that this thing won't be wearing sticky drag meats...it'll make it's power in the upper range where it'll be more useable.

I expect similar performance to the GT 5.0, and 392 Challengers and Chargers. High 3 - Low 4s to 60, mid 12s in the 1/4.

Nice to see an NA V8 in it, curious about pricing though ...low 60s?

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't the regular version get beaten up pretty well for its barely noticeable refresh? Sounds to me like more of the same, though, as with the Cadillac V Blackwings, the devil will be in the details, how much time did they spend on re-tuning the existing mechanicals? Did they do a credible job as Cadillac did with the CT4/5? As I said, with the regular IS, I seem to remember the refresh getting beat up for being half-hearted (though I could be wrong).

It matches the CT4 for horsepower, but gets eaten alive by torque, which almost certainly ensures it cannot keep up with Cadillacs or Ze Deutschland trio, nor ze Italians

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
It matches the CT4 for horsepower, but gets eaten alive by torque, which almost certainly ensures it cannot keep up with Cadillacs or Ze Deutschland trio, nor ze Italians
I'm sure it will be fun, but I do suspect you are right and it will not do well in comparisons... I'm sure we will find out soon enough!

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure it will be fun, but I do suspect you are right and it will not do well in comparisons... I'm sure we will find out soon enough!
They could have helped their situation with a manual and a DCT, but that V8 is probably Honda smooth, like burrrer, so there is that..

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
And what it needs is torque. Who cares about the redline hp since you rarely ever hit that. A nice fat torque curve down low is exactly what this car needs because it will be a very heavy car. Torque down low is what makes the Challenger with the 392 a ball to drive.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And what it needs is torque. Who cares about the redline hp since you rarely ever hit that. A nice fat torque curve down low is exactly what this car needs because it will be a very heavy car. Torque down low is what makes the Challenger with the 392 a ball to drive.
Buyers in this space care more about JDM old days of glory than outright performance, me thinks.
you have to give Nipponese engineers credit for smooth engines

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I like it ...a lot. The Drive (website) is reporting the IS500 has 495ftlb of pushin powa!( 💩 I read TheDrive's correction wrong it's 395lbft of torque).

Now lets just see that price (now with 395lbft I don't care about the price).

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll just comment on what I know. I could hear the Lexus 5.0L V8. It is an engine that loves to sing. You can explain to me at length why the smallblock offers better performance.

If sound were the only criteria this V8 would win almost any comparison. At least for me.
Yes, the Nippon companies can build real smooth DOHC, this is pro in that tradition

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I'll just comment on what I know. I could hear the Lexus 5.0L V8. It is an engine that loves to sing. You can explain to me at length why the smallblock offers better performance.

If sound were the only criteria this V8 would win almost any comparison. At least for me.
If we're talking soundwise I'd put it in the top 5 modern V8s under 100k along with the Jag F Type V8, the Hellcat (SC whine is intoxicating), the old MB 6.2 From the C63 AMG, and the GT350

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Why Isn’t The IS 500 Called IS F?
Lexusenthusiast
Posted by Gecko on February 22nd, 2021

Why isn’t the IS 500 instead called “IS F”?

You want to know, and we did too, so we asked Lexus directly. The answer opens an entirely new chapter of Lexus performance while giving enthusiasts even more options within the lineup.

Lexus Enthusiast
Can you tell us a bit more about the hierarchy of F products now? We have F SPORT, F SPORT Performance Line, and F… Is this a three-tiered approach to performance where all-out performance cars will still be “F” at the top of the range? Or is F Sport Performance Line a replacement for F?
Lexus: Great question. The IS 500 will be the first model to debut the Lexus F SPORT Performance line. F SPORT Performance models will be positioned between current Lexus F SPORT models, like the IS 350 F SPORT, and F models, like the RC F.
While current F SPORT models are denoted by upgraded performance components honed at the track (e.g., sport tuned suspension, limited-slip differential, race-inspired styling), new F SPORT Performance models will be further upgraded with those components and a high output powertrain.
As the highest expression of power and performance, F will continue to receive our most innovative engineering and advanced driver-inspired technology.
Lexus Enthusiast’s Take
Having this information makes it easier to understand what ingredients are missing to create an IS F: Exclusive F front and rear bumpers with side fender vents, Brembo brakes, driver-focused suspension enhancements, active weight reduction, unique interior trim, launch control and more.

The IS 500 F SPORT Performance delivers where it matters most: 161 more horsepower, 115 more lb-ft of torque, two more cylinders, and a curb weight under 3,900 pounds.
So is it more like V series from Cadillac (but not the top model Blackwing) or Audi S4, or BMW M340? But with more power?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Not according to explanation from Lexus.F sport performance is below F.
F SPORT Performance models will be positioned between current Lexus F SPORT models, like the IS 350 F SPORT, and F models, like the RC F.
Blackwing is top model and V series is below Blackwing.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Screams TOYOTA... ACK!!!

Make mine a Caddy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts