GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
With only up to 298 miles on the WLTP cycle this is more of a Bolt competitor than Ultium where all vehicles are expected to offer over 300 miles on the EPA test cycle. The Opel Ampera-E was rated at 323 miles on the WLTP cycle and that was will the older Bolt battery with about 10% less range.

·
Premium Member
33,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With only up to 298 miles on the WLTP cycle this is more of a Bolt competitor than Ultium where all vehicles are expected to offer over 300 miles on the EPA test cycle. The Opel Ampera-E was rated at 323 miles on the WLTP cycle and that was will the older Bolt battery with about 10% less range.
Basically a local commuter.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
However where this Hyundai has a leg-up on GM is its 800V 350 kWh capable charging. The Bolt can only handle a paltry 55 kWh. From what GM has announced so far only Ultium trucks can handle 350 kWh. Everything else like the Lyriq can only handle 150 kWh charging. Those charge rates refer to the peak rate so we would still need to see how well GM has engineered the overall charging rate.

·
Registered
18,192 Posts
However where this Hyundai has a leg-up on GM is its 800V 350 kWh capable charging. The Bolt can only handle a paltry 55 kWh. From what GM has announced so far only Ultium trucks can handle 350 kWh. Everything else like the Lyriq can only handle 150 kWh charging. Those charge rates refer to the peak rate so we would still need to see how well GM has engineered the overall charging rate.
The announced GM charging rates really make ultium based vehicles unworthy of highway travel. There aren't many chargers that can even handle that speed at the current time too. GM needs to get with it fast.

The Ioniq 5 looks nice. 298 miles on the WLTP for 76kWh is pretty impressive too with the efficiency and performance.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is one gorgeous electric SUV—from Hyundai!
Motortend must fulfil their contractual obligations, they already call Hyundai/KIA product gorgeous. Next will be C&D and Jalopnik. They also had titles prepared before even they saw the product. I am waiting for 'striking and jaw droppingly beautiful Hyundai' from them.

Personally I see a car with quite-nice but not special 90's hatchback proportions that I thought was a Peugeot from the back.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
yup another hatchback - cum - suv looking thing with "future" as the design theme
I assume the ioniq will be cheaper then Ultium based GM products so the "shorter" range is offset by better affordability and long range "big" batteries take longer to charge so it is not like Ultium with a projected 500 miles is THAT MUCH BETTER then ioniq projected almost 300 miles - we are well beyond the 95 miles of the MK I leaf and other "compliance" EVs

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,720 Posts
I'm really not all that impressed with it. The side sculpting looks contrived(if one could call it that). ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm really not all that impressed with it. The side sculpting looks contrived(if one could call it that). ;)
Yeah those creases ruin the otherwise nice look. A formal crease running front to back, such that GMs full size SUVs have, would be much more suitable and elegant. At least it’s not a mishmash of curves and swoops that is the norm in car design now. I like this kia in the way I like the Xt4’s styling.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Outside looks interesting, inside, I'm not enthused...

The exterior has a VW vibe to it.
Hyundai and Kia have employed a lot of German industry executives to grow their business. Styling is going to reflect that German minimalist thing from time to time.
It's a modern take on the original Hyundai Pony which was penned by Italdesign, which also designed the Audi 80.

See a bit of the straight lines/wedge shape of the Esprit and M1, also by Italdesign.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The 80s called and wants their exterior design back.

I like the idea, but it just doesn't look good to me. Furthermore, too many random creases and carved lines like the wheel arch ones.

·
Premium Member
33,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The front lighting is unique , I think, not too sure about the 80’s silhouette. I will have to see one in person to decide.
The side lines and back details seem like unnecessary overkill from pictures.

the inside is what you expect, copy Tesla and other screen tackers on

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Does anyone know why they are referring to this as a SUV? Is marketing getting that bold?

Overall, the car is a mixed bag of highs and lows to me. For example, it's nice to find it is actually standard RWD, despite having typical FWD proportions. (From the angle below, the overzealous side sculpting appears to actually emphasize power coming from the front wheels).

I'll have to see it in person but I think I'm going to really like the front and rear but not care for that much in between, including the interior which, without the screens, looks sort of '80s retro in a boring way. Although, I think this broader interior picture below reveals a realtively more modern, upscale look, it nevertheless looks uninspired and a little Tupperware-ish to me.

I am not fully up to speed on EV specs but its range seems to be on the low end. The quoted 292-298 miles of range is for the most efficient, single-motor model. On the flip-side its potential charging times seem impressive.

Like everything pricing will be key but the Motor Trend article expects it to line up with Ford's Mustang Mach-E which, to me, would seem like a hard sell barring Mach-E supply issues.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Actually the US is getting a different battery than the rest of the world at 77kwh so I’m guessing it will be over 300 miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts