GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 GMC Sierra Preview | GM's 'premium truck' is actually now premium
All-new interior plus new Denali Ultimate and AT4X trims make a giant difference
BYRON HURD
Last Updated: June 24, 2022
autoblog.com

Pros: Quiet and torque-rich Duramax diesel; big touchscreen on most trims; great trailering tech; versatile MultiPro tailgate
Cons: Worse ride than most rivals; AT4X priced like a Raptor but doesn't go like a Raptor

The 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 is GM’s upmarket half-ton pickup, with a supposed emphasis placed on interior quality and materials rather than bare-bones durability. Supposedly, at least. In reality, the most recent generation hardly lived up to that promise as it showed few upgrades over its Chevy Silverado sibling, which itself possessed a ho-hum, not-really-trying interior clearly overshadowed by Ram and Ford that at least match it in most other respects. It was particularly noticeable when comparing top trim levels. GMC's supposedly premium entry, and especially the Denali, just didn't cut it.

That changes in a huge way for 2022. First, there’s not just one new and massively improved interior, there are two. The SLE, Elevation and SLT once again share their interior design with the Silverado, but that includes a more visually appealing design, better materials, smarter storage and a significant technology upgrade thanks to the standard 13.4-inch touchscreen running the user-friendly Android Automotive OS. The AT4 and Denali trim levels, including the new AT4X and Denali Ultimate, step things up even further with a different dash design and upgraded interior materials. The Ultimate definitely lives up to its name with a characterful and, yes, premium vibe that stands tall against the best of Ford and Ram.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ride is NOT 'harsh' at all and it's not "bad". In fact- it's the other way 'round.

Many owners (I'm on at least 3 GMC pages) upgrade the shocks- both on the 'regular' trucks AND the AT4 (tho different shocks in the 2 cases). I have an Elevation, and tho it rides wonderfully smooth going straight, it's a bit 'marshmallowy' in rapid directional changes. I probably will upgrade, but I'm a year in and it's not intrusive at all.

I also think some dislike it because it's not 'trucky' enough.

The AT4 crowd often HATES on the Ranchos they (came) with, but this is from an off-roading perspective I believe.

I've not had the chance to try the Denali's ride out, tho I did drive a High Country... but I don't think that gets the MR suspension the Denali does.

All the above is RE the pre-MCE trucks; '20-21s.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'll add this- I'm glad I have the '21 vs. the refresh- I don't care for the new nose much. I think it's a step backward vs. the prior gen.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,778 Posts
Curious about the ride harshness - anyone experience it? Is it that bad or more of a minor thing?
I'm curious about it too since 2022 Sierra Denali models include MRC adaptive suspension. T1XX SUVs with that suspension have been praised for good ride quality. Perhaps IRS on the SUVs eliminates any residual harshness?

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,461 Posts
Ride is NOT 'harsh' at all and it's not "bad". In fact- it's the other way 'round.

Many owners (I'm on at least 3 GMC pages) upgrade the shocks- both on the 'regular' trucks AND the AT4 (tho different shocks in the 2 cases). I have an Elevation, and tho it rides wonderfully smooth going straight, it's a bit 'marshmallowy' in rapid directional changes. I probably will upgrade, but I'm a year in and it's not intrusive at all.

I also think some dislike it because it's not 'trucky' enough.

The AT4 crowd often HATES on the Ranchos they (came) with, but this is from an off-roading perspective I believe.

I've not had the chance to try the Denali's ride out, tho I did drive a High Country... but I don't think that gets the MR suspension the Denali does.

All the above is RE the pre-MCE trucks; '20-21s.
Thanks! Trying to separate reality from journalist's need to play up negatives to get more clicks.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Trying to separate reality from journalist's need to play up negatives to get more clicks.
A mandatory filter these days.

Likewise, the interiors were not 'bare-bones durability' and 'ho-hum, not even trying'. Frankly, there's a bit TOO much soft materials; I'm thinking about the long-term, as I'm sure with my usage, the depressing nanny-fying of current/future vehicles, and the pricing.. that I'll keep mine 15 years again. After that, I'll stay no newer than what I have. fit & finish is very good, I will say.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'll add this- I'm glad I have the '21 vs. the refresh- I don't care for the new nose much. I think it's a step backward vs. the prior gen.
I still love the pre-refresh design but this refresh is far more detailed and modern. I can’t describe what I’m trying to say but it looks more refined or “crisp” in the front. If I’m not making any sense then I give up. 😂 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here in the rust belt, potholes and bad bridges at 70mph exemplify ride quality. I've owned them all from 2014 and up. Here's my 2cents. GM's since the early 90's, yes they kept getting a little better every cycle, and I went GM way back then for the IFS, which was the best. Dodge had solid for a long time, Ford's I-beam thing was a disaster. The others have since caught up and passed GM.
GM: harshest of the bunch. Does fine everywhere else but potholes and abrupt bridges. Seems to go through my spine, in my 50's.
Ford: Better than GM by a decent amount but doesn't handle as well.
Ram: Spring or air, have/had both, game changer for harshness. Handles same as ford.
Of course tire size makes a difference, but again I've had them all.
My 18" ram wheels actually handle better than my 20" ram, both air susp., no idea why. Ride is almost identical, the edge goes to 18s. I can go over bad train tracks and wouldn't know I went over them if I didn't hear them.
My son just got a 19 ram spring, from a ford, and commented immediately, couldn't believe how well it rode. And said it tows way better than the ford, 5.7 vs 5.0. yup.

·
Registered
21,461 Posts
Here in the rust belt, potholes and bad bridges at 70mph exemplify ride quality. I've owned them all from 2014 and up. Here's my 2cents. GM's since the early 90's, yes they kept getting a little better every cycle, and I went GM way back then for the IFS, which was the best. Dodge had solid for a long time, Ford's I-beam thing was a disaster. The others have since caught up and passed GM.
GM: harshest of the bunch. Does fine everywhere else but potholes and abrupt bridges. Seems to go through my spine, in my 50's.
Ford: Better than GM by a decent amount but doesn't handle as well.
Ram: Spring or air, have/had both, game changer for harshness. Handles same as ford.
Of course tire size makes a difference, but again I've had them all.
My 18" ram wheels actually handle better than my 20" ram, both air susp., no idea why. Ride is almost identical, the edge goes to 18s. I can go over bad train tracks and wouldn't know I went over them if I didn't hear them.
My son just got a 19 ram spring, from a ford, and commented immediately, couldn't believe how well it rode. And said it tows way better than the ford, 5.7 vs 5.0. yup.
Interesting - my ATS was just as you described "Does fine everywhere else but potholes and abrupt ridges." I did have the optional bigger rims and noticed the stock 17's were better. But overall nice ride until an abrupt pothole and it sounded like someone was hitting the roof with a sledgehammer - I believe something to do with the bushings. They have fixed that harshness with the CT4....

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,778 Posts
But overall nice ride until an abrupt pothole and it sounded like someone was hitting the roof with a sledgehammer - I believe something to do with the bushings. They have fixed that harshness with the CT4....
The newer generation run-flat tires on your CT4 also help eliminate that impact harshness vis-a-vis ATS. Older RFT, including the OE tires on ATS and BMW F30, were awful in this regard. I replaced the OE RFT tires on my own F30 with non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The improvement in both handling and ride quality was dramatic.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,461 Posts
The newer generation run-flat tires on your CT4 also help eliminate that impact harshness vis-a-vis ATS. Older RFT, including the OE tires on ATS and BMW F30, were awful in this regard. I replaced the OE RFT tires on my own F30 with non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The improvement in both handling and ride quality was dramatic.
The summer run flat tires my car came with are certainly better - more compliant and smoother. Though the run flat tech is totally different.

For my winter tires on my CT4, I did end up getting the same run-flats, with the honeycomb tech, as I had on my ATS (the stock tire - 18"). They are notably stiffer, though hitting a pothole isn't nearly as traumatic as it was on my ATS - so they definitely did do some suspension work to improve things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts