GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From only this front angle, the Maverick hides its car-based roots well. The bed is integral with the cab—a key giveaway that this little rig doesn't have a separate body and frame—but otherwise the squared-off body is upright, and sits rather high off the ground. We like the sort of chubby-baby Ford pickup face, with its big, wide-eyed headlights and simple grille; ditto the blistered fender flares. There are some new Bronco and Bronco Sport SUV bits in the look, along with standard Ford truck styling cues everywhere else. And someone at Ford deserves a design medal for keeping the Ford badge up front normally sized, a subtle manipulation of scale that fairly well hides how compact the Maverick is. A bigger badge, like those on Ford's full-size F-150, would have cartoonishly given away the Maverick's size and looked silly.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-spy-photo-factory-details/

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Front bumper is too heavy looking

Looks like its dragging its bottom lip

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
To me that's a much better size for a less than full size truck the current gen of mid sizers are so big and expensive I just don't really see the point.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Its likely to eat into Ranger sales for those people looking for a utility daily driver

Its likely to eat into Colorado sales for those people looking for a utility daily driver

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its likely to eat into Colorado sales for those people looking for a utility daily driver
You forget how Royal Truck buyers are to their brands, how many people left Tacoma for Ridgeline?
Agreed. My father just got a Colorado ZR2 about a month ago and having driven it, it's big.
that sounds interesting, the V6 or the Diesel?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I really like that! I was expecting them to use a very lightly modified Bronco Sport front end but this has much more of their F-Series styling cues.

I'm not bothered by it being FWD/AWD, what bothers me is that they're not offering a longer bed with a smaller cab. If it had a 5.5'-6' bed it'd be on my short list, but that bed is smaller than some 70's sedan trunks!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,686 Posts
You forget how Royal Truck buyers are to their brands, how many people left Tacoma for Ridgeline?
that sounds interesting, the V6 or the Diesel?
V6. It is good and talk about ride & handling. My father is enamored with it(as am I as well) and the cornering and backroad dynamics or capability.

·
Premium Member
35,496 Posts
That looks surprisingly good.
And deserving of a better name than Maverick. Not all here will remember the cheap tinny junk Mavericks of the '70s, but I do and I think it's an error to name something after a dog. With nothing against dogs.

I recall the Mustang Creation story, and how FoMo toyed with various names. Hank the Deuce or douche if you prefer, wanted it called the T-Bird II. Now that is also half-assed, but Hank wasn't the smartest guy on the planet by any measure. The story I've read says Hank was the only one at FoMo who thought T-B II was swift.

Mustang sold like wildfire, until they fattened it up to take bigger mills. Image over substance, image over sales. Sometimes you wonder why in hell people make the decisions they make. Making Mustang a muscle car instead of a family coupe pretty much tanked sales. Success!

So here we have the Maverick. Images of rustbucket junkers that drove like tin cans. Oh vell...:spit:

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,686 Posts
And deserving of a better name than Maverick. Not all here will remember the cheap tinny junk Mavericks of the '70s, but I do and I think it's an error to name something after a dog. With nothing against dogs.

I recall the Mustang Creation story, and how FoMo toyed with various names. Hank the Deuce or douche if you prefer, wanted it called the T-Bird II. Now that is also half-assed, but Hank wasn't the smartest guy on the planet by any measure. The story I've read says Hank was the only one at FoMo who thought T-B II was swift.

Mustang sold like wildfire, until they fattened it up to take bigger mills. Image over substance, image over sales. Sometimes you wonder why in hell people make the decisions they make. Making Mustang a muscle car instead of a family coupe pretty much tanked sales. Success!

So here we have the Maverick. Images of rustbucket junkers that drove like tin cans. Oh vell...:spit:
Yeah... agreed, my grandmother had one and it was no prize. But as in all else as we are witnessing on other fronts, people have very short memories that don't serve them well at all.

·
Premium Member
35,496 Posts
Yeah... agreed, my grandmother had one and it was no prize. But as in all else as we are witnessing on other fronts, people have very short memories that don't serve them well at all.
Yeah, like, fershur. :doh:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I doubt the original Maverick has any mindshare for the vast majority of people under the age of 50. I'm a Ford guy in my early 40s and didn't know it existed until this vehicle. I actually thought Maverick was in reference to the global Maverick-badged utilities from the 90s and 2000's, which is very obscure as well.

BTW, the Maverick fascia shares some design cues with the leaked images of the new Ranger, which seems to confirm their authenticity.

The US is getting their new Ranger 2 years later than the world, not clear if we are getting the exact same Ranger but it's possible the designs will diverge in the US.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt the original Maverick has any mindshare for the vast majority of people under the age of 50. I'm a Ford guy in my early 40s and didn't know it existed until this vehicle. I actually thought Maverick was in reference to the global Maverick-badged utilities from the 90s and 2000's, which is very obscure as well.

BTW, the Maverick fascia shares some design cues with the leaked images of the new Ranger, which seems to confirm their authenticity.

Now that is a good looking truck...

Pressure on Tacoma is good, and GM better step up their game on the Colorado. The 2.7 Turbo should be their base Engine A Supercharged 4.3 with the 10 speed should be their high end motor in the Colorado. Keep the Diesel without a doubt.
If I were living a Colorado, or some other hilly country, I would not Consider anything but Ford, due to Forced air. No Power loss with altitude. But down here in Commiefornia, there is pretty of air to power that high displacement Chevrolet V8.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The Maverick gets a 1.5L I3 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost engines like the Escape and Bronco Sport, with a 2.5L Hybrid available. FWD and AWD available. XL, XLT, and Lariat trim levels.

The new North American Ranger gets the 2.3L I4 and 2.7L V6 EcoBoost engines, plus a 2.7L Hybrid (the one Bronco WAS suppose to get as well). Coming for 2024 in the US.

Hopefully Ford gets around to electrifying the Broncos in an MCA. Because they are not global products, electrification is not mandated. Jeep on the other hand needs to have electrified options to sell in their global markets.

I think ProPower would be very desirable to have on the trails.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Maverick gets a 1.5L I3 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost engines like the Escape and Bronco Sport, with a 2.5L Hybrid available. FWD and AWD available. XL, XLT, and Lariat trim levels.

The new North American Ranger gets the 2.3L I4 and 2.7L V6 EcoBoost engines, plus a 2.7L Hybrid (the one Bronco WAS suppose to get as well). Coming for 2024 in the US.
A Ranger with that 2.7 Liter V6 is going to be difficult to ignore

1 - 20 of 51 Posts